We need to trade down...

bills6969

8 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

To draft a QB ahead of Denver.  Likely partners could be Miami, Cinci, Washington and Tenn.

Steelers,  NE and LA will need to draft one soon also. If they really like someone in this class, they may also bite. 

nah, don't think so.  but hey , anything is possible

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

I watched Lock numerous times this year.  He is, quite simply, not good.  I have a feeling he's not even going to be a first rounder.  I just can't see where all the hype on this kid is coming from.  Teams are going to see through the mirage when they start looking closely.

I have watched a lot of him the past two years and I wouldn't quite go as far as "not good" but I think he is a 3rd round prospect. He might be my QB2 in this class the way it is looking.... but this class is just not a good class. If Drew Lock goes in the first round I think it is a significant reach. If he goes in the top 10 that IS the equivalent of the Bills drafting EJ at #16. At the moment my QB rankings of the ones I have watched are (roughly):

Haskins (2nd round);

Lock (3rd round);

Grier (4th round);

Stidham (6th round);

Finley (6th/7th round);

Haven't see anything at all of Jones or Rypien so need to catch some of their film.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

How many rookies can you have on a roster before the inexperience is detrimental to the team? This is a question I have when I see people advocating trading down for more picks. 

more picks is always going to be good for a team that will always struggle in free agency.   the draft/locking guys up for 4-5 years is the key for a franchise in WNY

8 hours ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

This is what the Bills get this year:

1st - 1
2nd - 1
3rd - 1
4th - 2
5th - 2
6th - 1
7th - 2

Likely the first 4 rounds picks all make the team. Assume one from the 5th and one more from the 6th and 7th. That is 7 rookies or 13% of the 53 man roster. Imagine trading down in the first for a 1st and a 3rd. Throw in a undrafted rookie and your up to 9 or 17% of your roster. At some point, and I don't know what that point is, the inexperience becomes a liability especially early in the season. IMO, they would be much better served if they traded down and got future draft picks. For example instead of a 1st and a 3rd a 1st and next years 3rd.

Except you can cover up inexperience with strong veteran play. You just have to have the right kind of veterans in the building. Jumps from our other younger players that have seen action is also what they are relying on. Allen, Edmunds...all of those guys you expect to take a step forward. More assets now is a good thing, it quickens the process. You just have to be a patient fan in terms of development and not want them out the door after a handful of games. More talent under the rookie cap please. It builds up a foundation of inexpensive talent. As we add more talent to the team, rookies will play less right out of the gate allowing them to develop behind the scenes somewhat. We have to reach that point first where we have that much talent, we aren’t there yet. Take the pick this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BakersBills said:

Those two picks aren’t enough, look at last years trades.

you can throw that chart out.

9 for 25, 27, and there 2nd and a 3rd in 2020 is more like it.

i think best scenario you trade down to the teens and pick up a late first or 2 and a 3.

And then you take best pass rusher or wr on the board imo. 

The value of the pick changes every year. It depends on the talent available, what they are trading up for and a few other factors. I don’t think you’d get that type of trade this year with few QB prospects and the talent level being fairly even from where we are in the first round to where Oakland is picking later. 

Youd still get a sizable haul but it depends on what teams are jumping up for. Last year’s trades had high values because of the high valued QB prospects that teams were willing to pay more for. I don’t see those prospects in this class. There are plenty of other QBs that could be available for the teams looking for a QB to hold the fort for a year instead of giving away an arm and a leg for an ok prospect. 

That being said, if a team falls in love with a guy and he slips down past the WB needy teams ahead of us, we could be in business. 

There's 2 teams i think a trade can possibly make sense with

#1 Raiders they have  2 1sts 25, 27, 2nd 35 

The Raiders will probably want one of the top pass rushers on the board or a LB like Devin White. They can give us 25, 27 & 35 for our first at 9th overall & our 3rd 74th.

This would give us 4pks in top 40

#25- DT Jeffery Simmons

#27- TE Noah Fant

#35- WR Marquise Brown

#40 - WR Hakeem Butler

With this trade we load up first off Jeffery Simmons is a beast and will fill in at the 3tech admirably. With next 3 pks we get an explosive pair of Wrs Brown can line up everywhere an is an absoulte threat Hakeem Butler is an outside Wr with size 6'6 218lbs and speed . Noah Fant will be a total mismatch for CBs and LBs . I would love this trade and it can set us up for the future. Obviously we would have to fix our oline in free agency for this to work.

The 2nd team is the Colts they have 22, 34, 58 it would take at least there 22, 34 and a 1st next yr to get a trade with them done. The Colts will possibly entertain trading up for Oliver or a pass rusher in this scenario. 

The Bills have enough picks; what they need is to draft talented players at key positions.

Also, I strongly disagree that this is a weak draft at the top; much of the defensive talent looks really solid.  It does happen, however, to not be top-loaded with offensive skill position talent, but we shouldn't be drafting for need anyway.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Here's recent (yesterday) mock for you.  Buffalo trades down with Miami, (trade within division is unlikely) and picks up a third this year and a fifth in 2020.  At 13, they draft Jonah Williams.  https://nflmocks.com/2019/01/03/2019-nfl-mock-draft-miami-uses-rival-to-end-ryan-tannehill-era/9/

Would work for me, considering I would take Jonah at #9!

Still get the guy at #13 and pick up a 3rd this year and a 5th next year? Gravy.

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

Yes, but they will be in the mid-to lower 20's.

Yep. I think if they are the projected picks as of regular season record then there is no chance the Bills go that far back. If we are talking early 20s I could maybe see it.

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

Yes, but they will be in the mid-to lower 20's.

I don't think the Raiders traded away their best players for picks just so that they can trade those picks away to move up in the draft...but then again, Gruden is a loose cannon 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I don't think the Raiders traded away their best players for picks just so that they can trade those picks away to move up in the draft...but then again, Gruden is a loose cannon 

Exactly.

I could easily see Gruden not being satisfied with having two very late picks in the first round and wanting to make a splash by moving up into the top 10 again.

Also, if the Bills choose to stay where they are at and get the player they want at 9, I'm fine with that.

7 hours ago, Mark80 said:

I watched Lock numerous times this year.  He is, quite simply, not good.  I have a feeling he's not even going to be a first rounder.  I just can't see where all the hype on this kid is coming from.  Teams are going to see through the mirage when they start looking closely.

Agreed.  Hackenberg 2.0+ model?

It’s year three of the rebuild. Anyone expecting us to trade down is going to be sorely disappointed IMO. McBeane are safe for now but they know they have only so much time to turn things around. We’re one more stud play maker on the defensive line away from having a truly elite unit, and given McD’s personality and background I’d be shocked if he passed up that opportunity unless he was fairly certain he could get his guy a few picks later. 

If anything, I expect they’ll be more inclined to trade up in the second or third rounds to get guys they think will fit the culture on offense. 

• Like (+1) 1