My Off-Season

Dkollidas

9 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I think you have to look at it from a different perspective.

1) before this season, Shady was extremely productive. He was arguably the best player on the team in 2017. 

2) He’s a captain and this team is huge on the “chemistry”, “leadership”, and “character”. For them Shady is a representative of all of that despite the off-field issues he’s had this past year. 

He had his previous worst year in 2017, followed by his worst year last year.  Being the best player on a horrible team doesn't make one a great player.

Captain is nothing but a C on a jersey.  He is not a leader, that I can see.  His character is absolutely horrible, unless you think he's a good guy for fighting cops and paying people to beat up women.

Most importantly (relative to football), he's over 30 years old.  He entered the season with a bad groin and ended it with a bad hamstring.  He's toast.

I enjoyed Shady's tenure in Buffalo.  But he's done and we have to get younger.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Having Shady, alone, will tell me that Beane is inept.  We shouldn't have had him (and another 30 year old RB) this year.  That said, I don't think Beane is inept and I expect old LaShawn to be gawn.

I don’t expect him to be gone. I’d put money on it that he’s here actually. But I’m hoping he’s not our number 1 anymore. 

2 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Who would you rather go after at WR?

I think any ideas of Beckham, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, or AJ Green are low percentage possibilities. A UFA like Williams from San Diego isn’t more than a solid #2.  Humphries is a solid #2 from the slot, he had 76 catches for over 800yds. Zay and Foster showed improvement in the last quarter of the year when Allen returned. N’Keal Harry might not be a #1 right away, but he has that ability. If you prefer DK Metcalf that’s fine, I just think it totally depends on how his medicals come back from his neck injury. That’s scary stuff. I’d rather go with Harry, but that’s me and I think he has #1 upside. Conley has shown ability but is overshadowed by Hill, Watkins, & Kelce on the Chiefs.

Also, I understand what you’re saying about Shady, but good backs are selected late or undrafted quite often. Williams and Scott are guys that could come in and challenge for carries right away, maybe one of them turns into something. I put him there because the organization has basically stated for the record that he’s coming back. They said the same about Tyrol last year before trading him; but they also talked all the time about a QB who could stand in the pocket and make throws. I think they plan on McCoy being back. That’s why I put him there. I also don’t see them keeping McCoy and spending money on a guy like Tevin Coleman or TJ Yeldon. They need to go young. 

I didn’t and can’t even bother to read your response. You’ve lost me when you think Shady is a number 1 still. Youve lost me when you think Zay is our number 1. 

Sorry. Right now I’ve got the attention span of a 10 year old inside a candy shop and you are the dentist. 

I'll be upset if they just let Clay walk. I'm pretty sure there is another team in the NFL that would give something to have him on their roster. I have a hunch that Benjamin and Clay were discouraged by the fact that Allen's passing was so inaccurate. Benjamin even tweeted about that in the preseason regarding Cam, whose accuracy is considerably better than Josh's. Benjamin was just going through the motions like Clay. They don't want to be in Buffalo any longer. I wonder if that will impact our ability to sign WR's in FA.

2 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I'll be upset if they just let Clay walk. I'm pretty sure there is another team in the NFL that would give something to have him on their roster. I have a hunch that Benjamin and Clay were discouraged by the fact that Allen's passing was so inaccurate. Benjamin even tweeted about that in the preseason regarding Cam, whose accuracy is considerably better than Josh's. Benjamin was just going through the motions like Clay. They don't want to be in Buffalo any longer. I wonder if that will impact our ability to sign WR's in FA.

If KB didn’t like Josh’s accuracy, he should have made his point by catching the balls that hit him on the hands. He can tweet what he wants, because he’s a nitwit. Benjamin busted on Cam too (and I’m not a Cam fan). He came off looking like an idiot as a result. Somebody tell him a  pre-season game doesn’t count!  

Clay has no right to complain if he’s never on the field. That game winning TD was in the air over 50 yards. If you can’t move forward about 7-8 yards to catch it....that’s on YOU. 

Having said all that, the title made me think it might be a book reading list and some home projects.....both of which might interest me. ? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

If Bobby Beathard were still the Redskins GM, would you get their 2020 first round pick by trading down 7 spots. Otherwise, that's not happening.

Although you could get a 2nd & a 4th, but not a 2nd & 3rd.

I like the effort you put into this. I think Chris Conley would be a solid signing.

Good job. :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, GreggTX said:

You expect someone to sign up for his contract and low production with big drops and no motor. He’s not a desirable asset anymore. He’s a liability. Any team can find another player in FA or the draft and get better production out of him for cheaper. I think it’s safe to say you’ll be disappointed. 

6 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I like the effort you put into this. I think Chris Conley would be a solid signing.

Good job. :thumbsup:

I echo these sentiments. I though Humphries came on strong at the end of the year too. But are any of these WR true #1's?  If the FO. wants a bunch of solid players around Josh to compliment him, then so be it, but it seems like you still need that star who commands that teams game plan around him. It would be nice to have one other than Josh.

3 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

I echo these sentiments. I though Humphries came on strong at the end of the year too. But are any of these WR true #1's?  If the FO. wants a bunch of solid players around Josh to compliment him, then so be it, but it seems like you still need that star who commands that teams game plan around him. It would be nice to have one other than Josh.

Conley & Humphries are not true #1 WR's, but they would add good experience and more stability to our group.

If you add Conley & Humphries along with Foster, Jones & McKenzie then draft a WR who could be a #1, then you are looking at a much stronger group of receivers than what we had last year.

People need to use the draft pick point chart as a guideline when proposing trade up or trade down proposals.  There was one the other day suggesting the Bills go from 9 to 13 and acquire an extra 2nd.  IMO...no way are you getting that much in return.  

Edited by LabattBlue

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

People need to use the draft pick point chart as a guideline when proposing trade up or trade down proposals.  There was one the other day suggesting the Bills go from 9 to 13 and acquire an extra 2nd.  IMO...no way are you getting that much in return.  

It's the same people who probably thought we could get a 2nd or even a 1st for McCoy. Bunch of Lennon's lol.........

15 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I think Drew Lock could be the QB draft crush this year.  Haskins will likely go top 15.  Maybe top 10.

I also expect that the early success (some more than others) of Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, and Rosen will have a positive effect on QB needy teams wanting to trade up for a QB.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Using last year's empirical chart, going from 9th to 13th is a deficit of 8.96. There's usually about a 10% premium paid for getting into the bottom of the top 10, so that pushes the deficit to 15.72 - roughly the value of the 60th overall pick. It is unlikely, however, that the owner of pick 13 in round 1 also has pick 28 in round 2. The likely deal to be had there is 9 for 13, 77, and 109. Or, potentially, 13, 77, and a 2020 3rd.

Either way, Miami has pick 13 and I doubt we're trading with them.

Well thought out post, I appreciate the effort.  I would love to see a trade like that (Washington) happen but it seems like a bit much.  I'd be happy with that trade minus the 2020 1st rounder though. You gave me some players in FA and the draft to research a bit more, so thanks!

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

Unsigned:

Miller

Mills

Cut:

Ducasse

Clay

Free Agency:

RT- Darryl Williams- Car. ($9M cap hit)

OC- Mitch Morse- K.C. ($8M cap hit)

OG- AJ Cann- Jax ($3M cap hit)

WR- Adam Humphries- T.B. ($8M cap hit)

WR- Chris Conley- K.C. ($5M cap hit)

TE-Tyler Kroft-Cin ($5M cap hit)

DE- Vinny Curry- TB ($3M cap hit)

~Approximately $41M spent on these players. Granted though, NFL contracts are complicated & I’m bad at this, but I gave it my best shot.

Draft:

(Jonah Williams & Gregg Little both gone by Pick #9)

*TRADE*

To Washington:

1st Round- 9th overall

To Buffalo:

1st Round- 16th overall

2019 2nd Round

2019 3rd Round

2020 1st Round Pick

(Washington is desperate for a QB with Alex Smith having a tough time post surgery. Guys like Bridgewater & Foles will have better opportunities. Washington decides to move up and select their guy after Haskins goes to the Giants, but so they can have their choice between Lock & Jones before Denver(10th), Cincinnati(11th) & Miami (13th).

*-Designates picks gained from Trade with Washington.

1- N’Keal Harry-WR-Ari St.

-I think he’s the perfect combo for Allen. He’s got a great catch radius, can really get to the high point, does a great job of getting YAC, and while he doesn’t have great speed, he’s able to get separation by having a very solid release from coverage near the line of scrimmage.

2- Michael Dieter-OL-Wisconsin

-This guy has Bill written all over him IMO. Similarly to Harrison Phillips, he’s smart, a senior, and high character guy. He’s also extremely versatile, having started multiple games at each position on the line at a great school for linemen. And not just T, G, or C, but he’s started at LT, LG, C, RG, RT. He can literally plug and play anywhere the team needs him.

2*- Irv Smith-TE-Alabama 

-Croom flashed, but Daboll wants depth at the right end position. Croom, combined with signing Kroft, and drafting Smith, who Daboll knows from his time at Alabama, is a guy who can stretch the field the field down the seam, and can be a do-it-all guy as opposed to a one trick pony.

3- Beau Benzschawel-OL-Wisconsin- Again another Wisconsin guy. I’m a fan. Maybe they play next to each other, and having done that in college gives them some chemistry bonus. But he’s another that has started at both guard and tackle for the Badgers. 

3*- Austin Bryant-DL- Clemson- The least heralded guy on the Tiger defensive line, he’ll slip because people will credit his production to being a part of that unit. He’ll be a solid NFL player with the possibility of becoming a mid-round hit.

4-Paris Campbell-WR-Ohio St. 

-His speed will help the offense and special teams overall. This also gives us a lot of depth at WR with Harry, Humphries, Conley, Foster, & McKenzie along with this young man. 

4- RB- LJ Scott-RB-Michigan St.- Big guy to eventually do what Ivory did for them this year. Daboll seems to like a thunder/lightning approach like they’ve often used at Alabama.

5- Khalil Hodge-LB- Buffalo- Maybe I’m way off that he slips this far, but we’re a small school and guys like him often do if they don’t really impress during the combine. I think our scouts have seen him enough to know he’ll be a solid NFL player. Tackling machine, can allow Milano to play his coverage game, and give the coaches more ability to rush Edmunds in passing situations.

5- Trayveon Williams-RB-Texas A&M- they might keep Shady this year, but I think they’ll make the necessary moves to see him leave at the end of next season.

6- Mark Fields-CB-Clemson- Add more young depth. Tre is a shutdown #1, Wallace & T. Johnson have shown well, and Ryan Lewis might be solid depth as well. Just add to the DB bank. Seems like you can never have enough of them anyways.

*Just going by position now, not specific names*

7- TE

7- DT

Depth Chart:

QB:

Allen, Barkley, Anderson

RB:

McCoy, Ivory, Williams, Scott

FB:

DiMarco

WR:

Jones

Foster

Humphries

Harry

Conley

McKenzie

Campbell

McCloud

TE:

Kroft

Smith

Croom

Thomas

LT:

Dawkins

Boettinger

LG:

Deiter

Benzchawel

OC:

Morse

Bodine

RG:

Teller

Cann

RT:

Williams

McDermott

Sirles

LE:

Murphy

Lawson

Bryant

RE: 

Hughes

Curry

Yarbrough

DT:

Lotulelei

H. Phillips

J. Phillips

Lawson/Bryant

7th Round Draft Pick

OLB: 

Hodge

FA (Depth guy)

MLB:

Edmunds

FA (Depth guy)

OLB:

Milano

Stanford

CB:

White

Wallace

Johnson

Lewis 

Fields

FS:

Poyer

Bush

Marlowe

SS:

Hyde

Neal

K: Hauschka

P:

Bojorquez?

Did I miss something.  Is Alexander retiring.

15 hours ago, mrags said:

If we go into next season as Shady as our number 1 RB again. And that crap at WR, we might as well just wait until 2020 to bother watching. 

That group of receivers with Harry would likely be excellent unless he takes a lot of time to start to excel. He’s very good and NFL ready. Adding Humphries and Conley to Foster and Zay and McKenzie would be in nice group in one year. 

21 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

If you are talking about my post it is because I dont want to move.  If a team doesnt want to move then you over pay or piss off.

• Thank you (+1) 1