Kelly Skipper - RB Coach

It seems that Kelly Skipper has survived, but it also seems like that everywhere he goes, the YPA go down and the rankings in terms of the NFL.

Buffalo:

2018: 4.2 (21st)

2017: 4.1 (14th)

2016: 5.3 (1st)

Jacksonville:

2017: 4.3 (9th)

2016: 4.2 (17th)

2015: 4.2 (15th)

2014: 4.5 (6th)

Oakland:

2015: 3.9 (22nd)

2014: 3.7 (27th)

The bold is when Kelly was with the team.  There seems to be a decline with every team he takes over.  This is for team rushing because that is what I found on ESPN.  If anyone had just RBs, I would be interested in that too.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/sort/yardsPerRushAttempt

Tyrone Wheatley just came available he was with the Bills for a while can't remember who was the coach then but i think the Bills did pretty good with him as their RB coach ?

If this guy isn't all that & a bag of chips maybe they should talk with Tyronne ...

Edited by T master

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I think it is almost impossible for fans to analyze these position coaches.  

We literally have no idea what role they play behind close doors.  Are they just coaching technique?  Do they implement the coordinators plans?  Do they draw up plays of their own?  It could literally be anything. 

I think that is fair assessment, but I also think it is tough to say that the o line is directly responsible for all of the running game.  I think if you are going to fire one, you should fire both.

18 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

It seems that Kelly Skipper has survived, but it also seems like that everywhere he goes, the YPA go down and the rankings in terms of the NFL.

Buffalo:

2018: 4.2 (21st)

2017: 4.1 (14th)

2016: 5.3 (1st)

Jacksonville:

2017: 4.3 (9th)

2016: 4.2 (17th)

2015: 4.2 (15th)

2014: 4.5 (6th)

Oakland:

2015: 3.9 (22nd)

2014: 3.7 (27th)

The bold is when Kelly was with the team.  There seems to be a decline with every team he takes over.  This is for team rushing because that is what I found on ESPN.  If anyone had just RBs, I would be interested in that too.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/sort/yardsPerRushAttempt

What makes you think he survived?  

9 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

I think that is fair assessment, but I also think it is tough to say that the o line is directly responsible for all of the running game.  I think if you are going to fire one, you should fire both.

This is a perfect example of how difficult it is.  For all we know, the room looks like this: 

RB Coach: Hey, we need to do x,y,z

O-Line Coach: No, we need to do 1,2,3

Reality: Team does 1,2,3 and it doesn't work (turns out there is good reason to think x,y,z would have worked) 

So let me ask, why are we firing the RB coach?  

7 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This is a perfect example of how difficult it is.  For all we know, the room looks like this: 

RB Coach: Hey, we need to do x,y,z

O-Line Coach: No, we need to do 1,2,3

Reality: Team does 1,2,3 and it doesn't work (turns out there is good reason to think x,y,z would have worked) 

So let me ask, why are we firing the RB coach?  

Because he has worked with multiple O line coaches with multiple teams and there is a pattern of decline.

34 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I think it is almost impossible for fans to analyze these position coaches.  

We literally have no idea what role they play behind close doors.  Are they just coaching technique?  Do they implement the coordinators plans?  Do they draw up plays of their own?  It could literally be anything. 

Absolutely.  We certainly can see what happened to productivity in his area, but we have no idea how he contributed to that productivity.   The head coach and coordinator do.  

• Like (+1) 2

Shady is about as instinctive as a runner can possibly be.  I can't imagine that Kelly Skipper would come in and say to him,  "OK, Shady, I want you to unlearn everything you thought you knew or felt about running the ball, and do it my way."  I can imagine how well that would go over with Shady.  (not well)

• Like (+1) 1

This team needs an addition or two of tough between the tackle runners. A younger version of Ivory would be useful. McCoy's dancing and prancing running style is not going to work. At this stage of his fading career I envision him more as a spot receiving back than heavy duty back. His days as a workhorse back are over with. The less he is used the more effective he will be. 

This offseason has to be dedicated to rebuilding the offense and putting Allen in a position to succeed. It starts with the line!

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

This team needs an addition or two of tough between the tackle runners. A younger version of Ivory would be useful. McCoy's dancing and prancing running style is not going to work. At this stage of his fading career I envision him more as a spot receiving back than heavy duty back. His days as a workhorse back are over with. The less he is used the more effective he will be. 

This offseason has to be dedicated to rebuilding the offense and putting Allen in a position to succeed. It starts with the line!

To a degree, I agree.  I think Shady will stick around next season, but I think one of Beanes off season projects will be to find some new (and younger) blood at the RB position.  Shady may have as many carries next season as he did this year, but I think that number is probably down a lot from previous years.  Somebody else is going to get more.  As far as getting a younger version of Chris Ivory is concerned, they may already have him in Keith Ford.  Ford is a bit shorter, and almost as heavy.  He's got decent quickness and good speed, but he is a power runner all the way.  He was, I think, a five star recruit coming out of high school based on both measurables and production.  His college career got derailed because of injury, and he had an issue with fumbles, but Brian Daboll has found him to be an extremely hard worker, and in late season games where he had quite a few carries, the fumbling didn't seem to be an issue.  I'm not sure that the Bills will target a pile driving type RB.  I don't want them to necessarily draft a 170 lb scatback, but there are some good, well rounded backs Buffalo can pick up after the first round.

• Like (+1) 1

Man everyone is calling for heads on all our offensive coaches.  I have to believe this would start with the Run game coordinator and if the HC sees problems in other parts of the run game the RB coach will go next.  I do think if McCoy is here next year though the RB coach is more like a QB coach for Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning.  The line just took way too much of a step back under Castillo that it needs to be fixed before you can judge anything else

32 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Because he has worked with multiple O line coaches with multiple teams and there is a pattern of decline.

That isn't responsive at all to what I just said.  A vague patter of decline doesn't change that so much happens behind closed doors that we don't see. 

I also just realized that Kelly Skipper was the RB coach for Oakland for seven years.  You only put two years.  That doesn't do your credibility any favors.  Stats from those years greatly changes the analysis.  

59 minutes ago, T master said:

Tyrone Wheatley just came available he was with the Bills for a while can't remember who was the coach then but i think the Bills did pretty good with him as their RB coach ?

If this guy isn't all that & a bag of chips maybe they should talk with Tyronne ...

The Coach was Marrone. 

When Greg Roman was here - and I acknowledge the guy had his flaws - it was fun to watch our running attack.  Not only did Roman employ effective run concepts but the offensive linemen always seemed to  be in the right place at the right time doing the right thing.  We weren't overpowering people but the combination of play-design and play-execution was awesome.

Our run game this year wasn't as well schemed as back then but I can't say the plays were terribly designed.  We ran the same plays other NFL teams ran - but with less success.  We just didn't execute.

Granted good linemen execute better than bad linemen - they have quicker feet, better balance and so on.  But often times we just didn't get a hat on the tackler.   Both Beane and McD said the offensive line was 'out of sync' and that's a fair assessment I think.  That falls on the offensive line coach (Castillo) and run game coordinator (Castillo again).  It's pretty obvious why Castillo had to go.

I'm not sure how much the lack of production can be blamed on the RB coach.  Did the RBs run to the wrong hole?  Not know their assignments?  As a fan, I didn't see any compelling evidence that our RBs weren't coached well.  I saw an OL that didn't give the RBs a chance to be successful.  

Edited by hondo in seattle