[Misleading Title] NFL ranks Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds 14th and 15th best rookies, respectively, for 2018

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001007053/article/top-25-nfl-rookies-of-2018-saquon-barkley-leads-final-rankings

1. Saquon Barkley

2. Baker Mayfield

3. Derwin James

4. Darius Leonard

5. Bradley Chubb

6. Quenton Nelson

7. Phillip Lindsay

8. Leighton Vander Esch

9. Nick Chubb

10. Denzel Ward

11. Roquan Smith

12. Lamar Jackson

13. Sam Darnold

14. Josh Allen

"Allen used his legs and big arm to keep the Bills competitive despite a very suspect offensive line and nondescript weapons in the passing game.

15. Tremaine Edmunds

"Edmunds has rare size for his position and he was ultra-productive for the Bills this fall."

16. Mike McGlinchey

17. Calvin Ridley

18. Jaire Alexander

19. Anthony Miller

20. Sony Michel

21. Donte Jackson

22. Fred Warner

23. B.J. Hill

24. Michael Dickson

25. Braden Smith

Between the two above players listed, the NFL posted a video of Josh's top 10 plays from 2018. I suspect his throw to Clay at Miami would have been the top play had Clay caught the ball.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001006887/Josh-Allen-s-top-10-plays-2018-season

Edited by from_dunkirk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Seems very fair to me.

Funny how PFF recently ranked Levi Wallace as the highest ranked rookie CB, way ahead of Denzel Ward who is at #10.  This list seems to be a lot of name recognition factor here, rd 1 picks esp, they aren't to interested in guys taken after rd 2 most less a UDFA.

True.  It's all about big names, and the big names were built in college.  FOr example, I haven't seen a lot of Darnold and Jackson, but I'd take Allen over both in a heartbeat.   I know Jackson has been phenomenal running, but I have trouble seeing a long term future for him.  

I've never seen a lot of discussion around here about why the Bills took Edmunds instead of Vander Esch.   I suppose the answer is that Edmunds had the greater upside, but Vander Esch has looked spectacular when I've seen him.  

• Like (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I've never seen a lot of discussion around here about why the Bills took Edmunds instead of Vander Esch.   I suppose the answer is that Edmunds had the greater upside, but Vander Esch has looked spectacular when I've seen him.  

I think both teams won on that front.........

• Like (+1) 2

Exhibit A that the NFL list is heavily weighed toward name/draft position and not performance-https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/02/pff-pro-football-focus-levi-wallace-is-nfls-best-rookie-corner-taron-johnson-sean-mcdermott/

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Seems very fair to me.

Funny how PFF recently ranked Levi Wallace as the highest ranked rookie CB, way ahead of Denzel Ward who is at #10.  This list seems to be a lot of name recognition factor here, rd 1 picks esp, they aren't to interested in guys taken after rd 2 most less a UDFA.

Big shout out to Levi, who has gone from a walk on to starter on Alabama's NC team, to being an UDFA who may be at the top of this year's class. Great to see someone on the Bills from Tucson making it big.

• Like (+1) 1

I would agree with some of the list. The Lamar hype is hilarious to me. Ravens are running a legit high school offense and it’s working for a few games and the hype train chugs along. 

Id like to see what he does say losing by 14 if he can actually run an offense throwing the ball to get them back in the game. 

Not hating on the guy but they’re basically just running the wildcat with some interesting pulling formations from the lineman and teams are having trouble adjusting, don’t think that’s gonna work well in the playoffs. 

Some of the list is just name hype and draft positions. Some are legit stars in the making

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

True.  It's all about big names, and the big names were built in college.  FOr example, I haven't seen a lot of Darnold and Jackson, but I'd take Allen over both in a heartbeat.   I know Jackson has been phenomenal running, but I have trouble seeing a long term future for him.  

Look at the stats other than tackles particularly the stats that revolve around passing situations and you will have your answer.  Also Edmonds commands the D.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Seems very fair to me.

I’d be it has to do with snaps played. Ward has a much bigger sample size and that should sure count for something. Notably PFF had Nick Chubb as the RB with the best rating. He was first not only amongst rookies, but all RBs.  Barkley was ranked 2nd among rookies and 3rd among all RBs.  Yet Barkley is 1st on the list above and Chubb is 9th.  That’s likely because Barkley has twice the touches that Chubb had.  PFF noted exactly that when they named Barkley the best rookie RB. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Seems very fair to me.

To be fair Ward played most of the season and Wallace only played part way. I think had T.Johnson not missed time he would have been in the top 25 too. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

So Jackson plays only like 3 games and gets ranked higher than Allen?  Good thing these rankings have no meaning behind it, because in the long run, everyone is gonna say that our Bills got the best QB in the draft.

7 games as full time QB.  Still, it’s difficult to think that ranking is reasonable.

6 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

To be fair Ward played most of the season and Wallace only played part way. I think had T.Johnson not missed time he would have been in the top 25 too. 

Denzel Ward made the pro bowl. He’s a legit CB1. I love Levi Wallace potential but different players and as you mention different sample size.

2 hours ago, Sblesq said:

Exhibit A that the NFL list is heavily weighed toward name/draft position and not performance-https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/02/pff-pro-football-focus-levi-wallace-is-nfls-best-rookie-corner-taron-johnson-sean-mcdermott/

The NFL is a marketing organization.   This is a marketing list.     Any relation to football talent is purely coincidental...

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Edmunds is ranked above Ridley (64-821-10)?   That doesn't at all jibe with the 'Edmunds is terrible/worst player on the field/pushed my grandmother down the stairs' threads I've seen here all season.

You are not blocking right people then.

• Haha (+1) 1