Bills fire ST Coach Danny Crossman

Rubes

9 hours ago, folz said:

Here are Crossman's Special Teams Units rankings per Football Outsiders (the only place I could find ST rankings going back to 2005 quickly):

BILLS

2018     32nd

2017     10th

2016     22nd

2015     12th

2014      4th

2013     30th

LIONS

2012     30th

2011     29th

2010     11th

PANTHERS

2009     29th

2008     10th

2007     30th

2006     24th

2005      5th

Top 10 appearances: 4 in14 years (29% of the time)

Bottom 4 in the league (29th-32nd): 6 times in 14 years (43% of the time). Think about that for a moment. For 43% of his career as Special Teams coach, his units have been one of the four worst in the NFL.

8 of his 14 seasons, his unit was ranked in the bottom 3rd of the league (57% of the time). 

It was high time for a change.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst

this kinda goes with your post :

https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/1081204178523951104 https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/1081204178523951104

47 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I want you to be right.   I am still a bit skeptical.  In my opinion, staff coaching failures are also head coaching failures.  Castillo, Robiske, and Crossman were all bad staffing decisions by McDermott.  (Based on McDermotts decision to fire them all).  I am not sure how many times you get to fire coaches, before someone says "does this guy know how to hire good coaches?"

I am certain McDermott is not a bust at the Kay Stephenson level.  But it is not clear what his ceiling is.  The NFL landscape is filled with decent coaches.  Someone has to win the games coached between McDermott and Gace or McDermott and Bowles. 

As a first time DC coach I would assume it’s not that easy to field the offensive side of the ball when other coaches may be reluctant to join in. 

Now after 2 years of mediocre OL play and and poor STs he decided to go another way.

But now the Bills have what looks to be a solid QB, young promising WRs and a ton of cap room to go along with a OC who is better than Dennison. The defense will be better with a better offense. The writing is on the wall. It’s a much more attractive situation and an easier sell for Beane and McD to bring in guys they want. Not just coaches, but players. Everyone sees it.

I see what you’re saying. But I’d expect things to improve next year over the past couple because of it.

Lets be honest, Castillo and Crossman have a track record of mediocrity. If you dig enough it seems as if Castillo’s beliefs didn’t line up with Dabolls style and It was just time for new blood on STs.

3 hours ago, simpleman said:

Rehire, retain. Same difference. You are just playing with semantics. When a new HC comes in he brings in his own staff, if he chooses to rehire someone from the old regime he is still choosing to hire him. He is fully responsible for his decision.

He didn’t say rehire, he said hire. Retain and hire don’t mean the same thing. Rehire and retain are closer in meaning. You are twisting words. Who’s playing semantics?

1 hour ago, JoPar_v2 said:

He hasn’t hit on every assistant but Frazier has been a very solid hire so far, with a few hiccups related to play calling early this season notwithstanding. 

Frazier was so solid that McCoach took defensive play calling away from him early in the season. 

10 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

As a first time DC coach I would assume it’s not that easy to field the offensive side of the ball when other coaches may be reluctant to join in. 

Now after 2 years of mediocre OL play and and poor STs he decided to go another way.

Coaches are networking with other coaches all the time in the NFL.  By the time a defensive guy becomes a HC, they have people in mind for offensive coaching positions. 

18 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

What are the other right moves? Poyer and Hyde? Jury is still out on Allen, he looks promising. Two LBs that went after Edmunds have been just as good if not better. Trading up there was dumb. Trading up for Zay was dumb, Kupp and Juju went after. You never trade up for a non-QB. Now watch Robiskie get moved to WR coach and us get a REAL QB coach. "Calculated". 

The only thing these guys really "did" was get a lucky playoff berth. We get blown out at a ridiculous rate and that has to stop. Our top ranked D really only performed well against bad teams and against a clearly declining Brady. 

If Allen busts, they are toast.

I’ve read all your posts in this thread and I don’t understand how someone can be so committed to hating everything our franchise does. You seem to have a problem with everything, no matter what it is.

Fans around here seem to be happy with a lot of what’s going on. Maybe you should give it a try. Cheer up emo kid.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Frazier was so solid that McCoach took defensive play calling away from him early in the season. 

Coaches are networking with other coaches all the time in the NFL.  By the time a defensive guy becomes a HC, they have people in mind for offensive coaching positions. 

yes

Crossman, Dennison, Robieski, Castillo, Fraiser isn't good. McDermott needs to do a way better with his coaches.  

37 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

He didn’t say rehire, he said hire. Retain and hire don’t mean the same thing. Rehire and retain are closer in meaning. You are twisting words. Who’s playing semantics?

The definition of hire. McDermott had not hired him previously. And to hire someone does not exclude any previous hiring. You are the one that used the word rehire, not the poster.

Definition of hire

transitive verb

1a : to engage the personal services of for a set sum  - hire a crew

44 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

And I acknowledged that. Not sure what you’re adding here that I didn’t say. Overall Frazier has been a very good hire. The defense’s play reflects that.

21 minutes ago, simpleman said:

The definition of hire. McDermott had not hired him previously. And to hire someone does not exclude any previous hiring. You are the one that used the word rehire, not the poster.

Definition of hire

transitive verb

1a : to engage the personal services of for a set sum  - hire a crew

If your boss quits and your company finds a replacement are you “hired” again? 

Staying true to your handle I see.

Crossman, Castillo and Robiskie were let go.

The anti and pro McDermott/Beane crowds are posting in line with their opinions.

If I was asked at the end of the season that 2 positional coaches and 1 coordinator were being released and to

submit a list of who they would be...................it would be those 3.

Why is anyone surprised?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Crossman, Castillo and Robiskie were let go.

The anti and pro McDermott/Beane crowds are posting in line with their opinions.

If I was asked at the end of the season that 2 positional coaches and 1 coordinator were being released and to

submit a list of who they would be...................it would be those 3.

Why is anyone surprised?

..UBER ride for Crossman, Castillo and Robiskie............adios......

image.thumb.jpeg.c6f3783113c4438f372eecf59def8bc8.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillsVet said:

McDermott took them away for one game, after that frazier was calling a different game. That was a great move by McDermott 

10 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Kind of strange to see all the praise for McDermott for these firings when it was his call to have them all here for the last 2 years. It took him way too long to see that this needed to happen and puts his abilities to evaluate coaching talent into question. 

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It's pretty comical actually. 

The amount of praise this regime has gotten around here for a two year record of 15-17 is crazy. 

They look to be on the upswing and Allen looks to as well, but they got their asses handed to them by playoff teams this year. The games weren't even close. 

Need a big influx of talent. They obviously have the cap space.... but so does just about every other team in the league. It can be very flexible.

Talk about two guys who absolutely don’t get it. McD fired his OC after one season, and allowed the other coaches time — during an obvious but un-admitted rebuild. Now he’s making appropriate changes. And amidst all of this, he has changed the culture and earned rave reviews from players and coaches alike. 

Yeah, you two knuckleheads know better. 

• Like (+1) 1

Ok, yes he is gone.   Good I guess. 

Now get some better players that actually can cover kicks, stay on sides on a kickoff, block better on FG's, hold a FG snap properly, return a kick, field a punt, and punt the dam ball to flip field.

The best ST's we ever had always made sure we used talented players and rostered players specifically for ST. 

Edited by Bob in STL

3 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

making good moves in coaching staff

hopefully player personnel next

Plenty of time for that free agency doesnt begin for a while. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. Beane knows what he’s doing...I hope.