Bills fire ST Coach Danny Crossman

Rubes

Here are Crossman's Special Teams Units rankings per Football Outsiders (the only place I could find ST rankings going back to 2005 quickly):

BILLS

2018     32nd

2017     10th

2016     22nd

2015     12th

2014      4th

2013     30th

LIONS

2012     30th

2011     29th

2010     11th

PANTHERS

2009     29th

2008     10th

2007     30th

2006     24th

2005      5th

Top 10 appearances: 4 in14 years (29% of the time)

Bottom 4 in the league (29th-32nd): 6 times in 14 years (43% of the time). Think about that for a moment. For 43% of his career as Special Teams coach, his units have been one of the four worst in the NFL.

8 of his 14 seasons, his unit was ranked in the bottom 3rd of the league (57% of the time). 

It was high time for a change.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst

• Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Why would McDumbass hire Crossman in the fist place?

Makes you wonder how good of a Head Coach he really is...

He was retained by McDermott, not hired. Makes you wonder how much you actually pay attention.

• Like (+1) 5

40 minutes ago, NJKBillsfan said:

So just because he retained him and didn't hire him that's okay with you?

It takes time to get to know a coach... He probably didn't know what kind of teacher he was. You can get a feel with an interview but you don't know unless you watch and see for yourself. And the previous 3 seasons our STs was decent under Crossman. So I can see why he was retained. But now is certainly time to let him go. 

1 hour ago, Kmart128 said:

It takes time to get to know a coach... He probably didn't know what kind of teacher he was. You can get a feel with an interview but you don't know unless you watch and see for yourself. And the previous 3 seasons our STs was decent under Crossman. So I can see why he was retained. But now is certainly time to let him go. 

1. Crossman had a considerable body of work. McDermott was in a position to decide to retain him or not based on that body of work.  He chose to retain him.  That turns out to have been a bad decision. 

2. McDermott has not assembled a stable staff yet. Good NFL coaching turnover is when other teams poach your coaches for promotion.  Bad turnover is having to fire guys for failing.  Staffing failures are also head coaching failures.  

5 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

He was retained by McDermott, not hired. Makes you wonder how much you actually pay attention.

Rehire, retain. Same difference. You are just playing with semantics. When a new HC comes in he brings in his own staff, if he chooses to rehire someone from the old regime he is still choosing to hire him. He is fully responsible for his decision.

Edited by simpleman

there's no question that McDermott is creating a culture of accountability in his coaching staff. He is not playing favourites with anyone including those he has worked with a long time on other teams. I'm as tired of the losing as anyone but I continue to believe that he was the right hire and that we have just begun to build a great organizational culture. 

17 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

I hope the next guy is given better talent to work worth...it's all about having solid depth and,of course,a talented return man..or two.jmho

I think you could say that with Castillo and Robiskie, and the very limited talent we had at OL and WR... but I don't think you can say that about Crossman. Yes, we need a returner, but a lot of our issues on ST were coverage issues.

17 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He was squibbing most of his kickoffs. I think it's common sense that he should have been IR'd using the ol' eyeball test. As for who made the decision, you're right - we don't really know who was behind the decision to keep him active.

Maybe they thought, we are out of the playoffs and he says he is healthy enough to play. Why put him on IR and have to pay someone else money that then won't be able to be carried over to next year. 

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

there's no question that McDermott is creating a culture of accountability in his coaching staff. He is not playing favourites with anyone including those he has worked with a long time on other teams. I'm as tired of the losing as anyone but I continue to believe that he was the right hire and that we have just begun to build a great organizational culture. 

I want you to be right.   I am still a bit skeptical.  In my opinion, staff coaching failures are also head coaching failures.  Castillo, Robiske, and Crossman were all bad staffing decisions by McDermott.  (Based on McDermotts decision to fire them all).  I am not sure how many times you get to fire coaches, before someone says "does this guy know how to hire good coaches?"

I am certain McDermott is not a bust at the Kay Stephenson level.  But it is not clear what his ceiling is.  The NFL landscape is filled with decent coaches.  Someone has to win the games coached between McDermott and Gace or McDermott and Bowles. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I want you to be right.   I am still a bit skeptical.  In my opinion, staff coaching failures are also head coaching failures.  Castillo, Robiske, and Crossman were all bad staffing decisions by McDermott.  (Based on McDermotts decision to fire them all).  I am not sure how many times you get to fire coaches, before someone says "does this guy know how to hire good coaches?"

I am certain McDermott is not a bust at the Kay Stephenson level.  But it is not clear what his ceiling is.  The NFL landscape is filled with decent coaches.  Someone has to win the games coached between McDermott and Gace or McDermott and Bowles. 

He hasn’t hit on every assistant but Frazier has been a very solid hire so far, with a few hiccups related to play calling early this season notwithstanding. 

I want to read Crossman's "it isn't fair!" article in the Buffalo News... LOL

As for McDermott, he knows defense and is learning the ropes as first time head coach. I give him a B- so far overall. He had Beane together have found quite a few gems in the draft and free agency.

At first, it seemed like they were finding tons of defensive players but couldn't hit on offense, but if this season they found the answer at QB, a starting G late in the draft, and a solid #2 WR as an UDFA that bodes well for when they really focus resources on offense this year.

Edited by TheFunPolice

9 hours ago, folz said:

Here are Crossman's Special Teams Units rankings per Football Outsiders (the only place I could find ST rankings going back to 2005 quickly):

BILLS

2018     32nd

2017     10th

2016     22nd

2015     12th

2014      4th

2013     30th

LIONS

2012     30th

2011     29th

2010     11th

PANTHERS

2009     29th

2008     10th

2007     30th

2006     24th

2005      5th

Top 10 appearances: 4 in14 years (29% of the time)

Bottom 4 in the league (29th-32nd): 6 times in 14 years (43% of the time). Think about that for a moment. For 43% of his career as Special Teams coach, his units have been one of the four worst in the NFL.

8 of his 14 seasons, his unit was ranked in the bottom 3rd of the league (57% of the time). 

It was high time for a change.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst

Look, he has a Carolina connection. I bet McBeane bings him in for an interview.