Bills fire ST Coach Danny Crossman

Rubes

19 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Intersting.

Beane puts 6-10 on him and part of the plan.  Then three coaches get fired.

Guess Terry isn’t as patient.

Nah, you never bad mouth those fired or soon to be fired in the media. It’s a bad look. Those who remain take the heat, and the necessary moves are made. You must differentiate between GM/Coachspeak and what’s really going on. The firings speak for themselves. 

To selfishly continue my post from the Castillo firing thread...NEW YEARS WISHES DO COME TRUE!!!!!!!!!! It's official, I really didn't ask for much as I've learned not to expect it from the Bills over the years, but I just really wanted to see us cut the chord with firstly, Castillo - more so than anyone, and secondly, Crossman. 

Sad part of this is now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have just asked for everything and if my 2019 luck officially ran out three days in....

9 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Another one where I could care less. It's the players not the coach. Look around the league. Special teams coaches have great and awful units in their careers. But a change in coach is fine but won't make a differnce if they do not upgrade the backup WR, LB, and DB spots that make up the bulk of the coverage units.

They gave Crossman multiple STs guys at the bottom of the roster to begin the season. Andre Holmes was kept solely for his STs ability. They signed Julian Stanford for the same reason, Deon Lacey was supposed to be a ST stud. Ray Ray was drafted for his return ability. Taiwan Jones. They only got rid of them when they realized the offense needed a jolt or STs was terrible anyways 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Intersting.

This makes zero sense congrats

this is why we need downvotes

Edited by JoPar_v2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

27 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Intersting.

On most teams... GMs are involved in coaching hirings and firings. He has accountability for putting the right staff in place and collaborates with the HC on the information to make those decisions. 

So if he says the record this year is on him, he’s taking accountability for what’s current. Doesn’t mean he wouldn’t get invested in improvement on the coaching staff. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Not that I'm any fan of Crossman, but he's not the one who decided to keep Hauschka on the roster (instead of placing him on IR) instead of replacing him with a kicker who could reach the crossbar on 40 yard FG tries and get kickoffs past the 15 yard line ....

If that was the only problem then his firing would not be justified. However, since he has been here it seems like there is a special teams penalty on every single play. Unit lacked discipline and was not very good. I give this to McDermott if things are not working he is not afraid to make a change and move in a different direction. 

• Like (+1) 1

This was the one guy who should have not been retained from the prior staff.

If McCoach had been smart, he would have retained Kromer, Sanjay, Ed Reed to name guys who deserved to be retained so much more than Crossman.

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, JoeF said:

If your point is that firing assistant coaches admits mistakes and takes heat off the GM and the coach by placing blame elsewhere, I agree. 

I do think its a little optimistic to think that every staff hire is going to be brilliant and every player personnel move is going to work out swimmingly.  It's not really the way it works.  Even Belichick makes mistakes in assistant coach hiring and player moves.   One of the emerging strengths of the current regime is admitting errors and cutting bait (Benjamin, etc.).  I think Terry and Kim have created the environment that allows this as long as they see progress toward the vision.

Um. Benjamin was awful all season yet continued to get play when younger guys didn't get a shot. Nathan Peterpickerman was shoved down our throats for two years and we didn't retain an actual vet presence until this season was essentially over; both of those guys got extended shortly. We had to endure a full year of Rick "No Offense" Dennison. We paid Trent Murphy and Star wayyy to much and we can actually cut them without too many repercussions. I doubt either of those moves happen. I disagree here and it warrants questioning how calculated things are. 

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Not that I'm any fan of Crossman, but he's not the one who decided to keep Hauschka on the roster (instead of placing him on IR) instead of replacing him with a kicker who could reach the crossbar on 40 yard FG tries and get kickoffs past the 15 yard line ....

We don't really know that. A lot of times a position coach is deciding on who is playing and who isn't when you think it would be the head coach or coordinator. Obviously those two have veto power, for example, it is often the position coach and not the DC who will send in the DL on a given play or series. So Crossman could have been the one who made that decision that he could play, or should play.

Plus Hauschka probably said that he could play and kick. And as a quality veteran kicker all coaches would at least listen strongly to him. I thought it was obvious that he was hurt, but I also think that he was trying to baby both of those 40 yarders he missed just short and misjudged how much strength he had in his leg. He could have made both with a little more oomph in the actual kick rather than he couldn't go more than 42. I think he misjudged them because they are so routine when he is healthy. 

• Like (+1) 2

I doubt anyone would argue that the OL, WR, and ST groups' performance were acceptable.  Yet, the same could be said about the players the HC and GM put on the field for those groups.

McBeane are effectively distancing themselves from those personnel issues.  It doesn't hide the fact that Buffalo has major personnel issues and those coaches were somewhat set up to fail. 

Firing coaches only increases the expectations for 2019, which are already high.  Coach McD doesn't have as many bones to throw to the wolves anymore.  It's on him and the GM more now that since they took over.

• Like (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Intersting.

I don't think the "plan" and firing a couple assistants are mutually exclusive--as the plan rolls forward, the quality of progression, play, staff, are always being evaluated to see where betterment can be had. It was quite clear that the sheer number of ST gaffes even late in the year, were not excusable based on the talent playing alone. Would you have advocated to keep any of the 3 let go so far? Coaching like anything else, is fair game along the way. Also, we haven't heard peep about Terry inserting himself into the day to day, to his credit. He's letting the FO, HC regime do what it needs to do to present a product in the mold that they want it, IMO. If the results don't start showing as wins next year, that's a different story then I'm sure.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

We don't really know that. A lot of times a position coach is deciding on who is playing and who isn't when you think it would be the head coach or coordinator. Obviously those two have veto power, for example, it is often the position coach and not the DC who will send in the DL on a given play or series. So Crossman could have been the one who made that decision that he could play, or should play.

Plus Hauschka probably said that he could play and kick. And as a quality veteran kicker all coaches would at least listen strongly to him. I thought it was obvious that he was hurt, but I also think that he was trying to baby both of those 40 yarders he missed just short and misjudged how much strength he had in his leg. He could have made both with a little more oomph in the actual kick rather than he couldn't go more than 42. I think he misjudged them because they are so routine when he is healthy. 

He was squibbing most of his kickoffs. I think it's common sense that he should have been IR'd using the ol' eyeball test. As for who made the decision, you're right - we don't really know who was behind the decision to keep him active.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I doubt anyone would argue that the OL, WR, and ST groups' performance were acceptable.  Yet, the same could be said about the players the HC and GM put on the field for those groups.

McBeane are effectively distancing themselves from those personnel issues.  It doesn't hide the fact that Buffalo has major personnel issues and those coaches were somewhat set up to fail. 

Firing coaches only increases the expectations for 2019, which are already high.  Coach McD doesn't have as many bones to throw to the wolves anymore.  It's on him and the GM more now that since they took over.

I don't disagree with most of your points, but I'd also say that McD hasn't shied away from admitting his mistakes and moving to change what he can to correct those as he is able. Say what you will, but I don't think that an oversized ego the likes of which afflicted Rexy, is a problem that he has shown thus far.  

12 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Um. Benjamin was awful all season yet continued to get play when younger guys didn't get a shot. Nathan Peterpickerman was shoved down our throats for two years and we didn't retain an actual vet presence until this season was essentially over; both of those guys got extended shortly. We had to endure a full year of Rick "No Offense" Dennison. We paid Trent Murphy and Star wayyy to much and we can actually cut them without too many repercussions. I doubt either of those moves happen. I disagree here and it warrants questioning how calculated things are. 

All valid.  My counter would be:

1) Firing Dennison in-season could have been seen in two ways.  Would you work for a rookie coach with happy in-season trigger finger?  I think McD probably considered it and said, I will let him complete the year. McD couldn't attract his top choices which is sad but partly due to the situation he inherited.  He was stuck and got out of it as quickly as he could.

2) Peterman- he only started out of desperation after the Ravens game.  A lot of people other than McD thought Peterman won the job in camp.

3) Benjamin-I totally agree -- about 6 weeks too late. 

4) Trent and Star -- The Bills gave up the second lowest amount of yards in the league.....they both contributed albeit Murphy was constantly injured.  Overpay -- I guess we will see this offseason.  Did you want them cut in-season?   I am willing to give them one more year on these two.  You may want to relook at how many running plays Star took up two blockers. I did this weekend and found the results surprising-- like greater than 50%..He's not Aaron Donald, he's not even a downslide Suh...but he may be what the Bills paid him to be-- a run stuffer who takes up two blockers.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 1