Cool Detailed Analysis - Zay Jones

We can go back & forth about his contribution to the team & whether a true #2.

Here is a neat analysis I found.  Some great detail.  

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/zay-jones/

From what I see, he has not met expectations.  Interesting is that his metrics are all 79% or better.

I want to see the 5 contested catches he made this year (I don't remember 1)......

Year 3 will be make or break imo.

27 minutes ago, teef said:

at this early in their career, i'm just hoping for progress in the first few years when it comes to wrs.  while not consistent, zay was much better this year than last, so i'll take it...for now.

Yes the improvement was noticeable, but I am appalled at just how bad his rookie year was.  

Still a long way to go.

• Like (+1) 1

Eric Moulds Yr 1 and 2

Game Game Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch%

1996 23 BUF KR/wr 80 16 5 37 20 279 14.0 2 47 1.3 17.4 54.1%
1997 24 BUF KR/WR 80 16 8 52 29 294 10.1 0 32 1.8 18.4 55.8%

Zay Jones Yr 1  and 2

2017 22 BUF WR 11 15 10 74 27 316 11.7 2 33 1.8 21.1 36.5%
2018 23 BUF WR 11 16 15 102 56 652 11.6 7 57 3.5 40.8 54.9%

Similar year 2 catch rates.  Moulds did have Todd Collins and AVP throwing to him in 1997.  And Zay had a motley crew this year.  Zay had more targets as Moulds had Andre Reed and Quinn Early as WR1 and WR2.  Zay's catch rate in 2018 was better than Early's and Reed's in 1997.  and he had 2 more TDs than either of them

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

The trade up to take him was a terrible, terrible move.  But at least, he can be a productive player.  

But we could have had our number 1 in JuJu and an extra draft pick. Frustrating.

I had JuJu in Rd 3 for Bills that Mock

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, freddyjj said:

Eric Moulds Yr 1 and 2

1996 23 BUF KR/wr 80 16 5 37 20 279 14.0 2 47 1.3 17.4 54.1%
1997 24 BUF KR/WR 80 16 8 52 29 294 10.1 0 32 1.8 18.4 55.8%

Zay Jones Yr 1  and 2

2017 22 BUF WR 11 15 10 74 27 316 11.7 2 33 1.8 21.1 36.5%
2018 23 BUF WR 11 16 15 102 56 652 11.6 7 57 3.5 40.8 54.9%

Similar year 2 catch rates.  Moulds did have Todd Collins and AVP throwing to him in 1997.  And Zay had a motley crew this year.  Zay had more targets as Moulds had Quinn Early as WR1 and WR2.  Zay's catch rate in 2018 was better than Early's and Reed's in 1997.  and he had 2 more TDs than either of them

Eh. Moulds  barely played his first 2 years and Jones got a ton of playing time.  Jones doesn’t have any elite skills. 

Just now, freddyjj said:

I had JuJu in Rd 3 for Bills that Mock

I loved JuJu in college.  Just a tough dude who made plays.  He is a top 10 receiver. 

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The trade up to take him was a terrible, terrible move.  But at least, he can be a productive player.  

But we could have had our number 1 in JuJu and an extra draft pick. Frustrating.

Knock on JuJu coming out was speed, didn't seem to have enough coming out of his breaks.

Interested to see how he does if they actually do trade AB.  

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t agree with that.  I just don’t think he has any special skills that separate him from defensive backs.  

We badly need to hire some from the Steelers to scout wrs.

Coming out AB was a highly productive undersized receiver who lacked physicality.  I think it may also have something to do with developing receivers, not just scouting them.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dneveu said:

Knock on JuJu coming out was speed, didn't seem to have enough coming out of his breaks.

Interested to see how he does if they actually do trade AB.  

Separation is different than speed.  Jerry Rice ran like a 4.6.  JuJu just seems to play faster than Zay.

and if they trade Brown, James Washington will be the next good Steelers receiver. Loved him too.  They just kill in the draft.  Too bad they just have some many d bags.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, WMDman said:

I personally think Zay had a fine season and has been developing nicely, I look forward to next year when he is hopefully in the slot

I saw too many drops, no aggression going for balls, no contested catches, bobbles, no great catches and lack of detail in running patterns.

To each his own I guess......

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

And Mahomes.  Don't forget about Mahomes.

• Haha (+1) 1

Receivers typically show their real production they're capable of for their career by year 3. If he improves half as much as he did in year 2 (by leaps and bounds) he should be a solid 2.

He's not Eric Moulds lol. Don't care if they have similar stats years 1-2. A LOT of receivers probably can be compared like that.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Were you frustrated with the Sammy trade up considering we could have had OBJ without doing so?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Receivers typically show their real production they're capable of for their career by year 3. If he improves half as much as he did in year 2 (by leaps and bounds) he should be a solid 2.

He's not Eric Moulds lol. Don't care if they have similar stats years 1-2. A LOT of receivers probably can be compared like that.

I agree with your first paragraph. 

The comparison is for perspective as I don't think folks know how long it takes most WRs to develop. 

Having a 3rd WRs coach in his 3 year career won't help too much either.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Damn! That is some deep analysis.

Not sure what it all means.   What are these rankings, like #62.   I assume that means he ranks 62 on a list of something.  All receivers?  All wideouts?