Easy to see where Josh Allen struggles with throws via NFL Next Gen Stats throw grid

Big Turk

15 hours ago, eanyills said:

Considering that the league average is calculated via the mean using the same metrics for all QB’s, it doesn’t matter.

It tells you there’s a weakness there.  

Well, if he's throwing the ball away a lot because he's getting over-pursued due to a porous line, it's a factor.  Doesn't mean it's all of the reason, but it's a contributing factor.

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

There were only 13 total heading into the 14th game.

?

So where is the deep drop by Clay in the 1st Miami game?

On 1/3/2019 at 2:48 PM, BuffaloHokie13 said:

chart doesn't include Miami. He finished with 10 TDs and 12 INTs, not 7 & 11

It’s a shame to not include his best game.....

Curious how much that could move the needle. 

9 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Where are you getting the receiver's drop data?

I saw the stat the other day while looking for the actual drops per play/team but those numbers are a bloody mess. 

The % for drops seemed like a more accurate number. I’ll look for the link again.

This is from week 8 and will show how bad the Bills WR actually were/are.

As you can see if the Bills are dropping almost 7% of the passes it's not fair to compare the Bills QBs to say the Redskins who's WR are dropping less than 1% of their passes. 

Looking at the numbers, there's no way you can use the argument that all teams have drops because there's a HUGE difference between 6.8% and 0.8%.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 1:16 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

From what I saw throughout the year the #1 thing Josh needs to work on is throwing behind his wrs on short slants/crosses. Watch the final Dolphins game. He couldn't lead them to save his life. Even Zays td was behind,  but it accidentally worked out. He throws a good back shoulder. His accuracy numbers will improve. Keep working with Jordan Palmer.....

Agree but one of those slants to Zay that was behind I believe was intentional.  Had he led him the defender could have jumped that ball.

11 hours ago, Nanker said:

I’d like to see the receivers each have a chart like that to see what their reception % was in each of those target zones. 

As as others have said, most of his throwaways seem to be when he’s running toward the right sideline and he’s about to 1. run out of bounds, or 2. get clobbered by the D’s pursuit.

They probably use the distance to the first down for the area “targeted” on those tosses. 

Probably not exactly what you are looking for but interesting to look at none the less.

route-chart_JON403726_2018-reg-17_1546205671686.jpeg.jpg

On 1/4/2019 at 11:24 AM, thebandit27 said:

How bad can he be if he's not even bottom 5?

Once again, nothin' gets past you, does it.  

"According to passer rating" I seem to read there.  LOL 

I tend to base my positions on production.  

Nevertheless, since apparently you're perfectly willing to place the sum-total of Allen's relevance on rating, feel free to extend your bullish take on Allen according to this; 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating/seasontype/2

Just in case you have difficulties with the link, it reveals that Allen and Rosen are essentially neck-and-neck, by the proverbial country-mile, in rating, ranked 32nd and 33rd, ... out of 33 that is.  

26 minutes ago, TaskersGhost said:

Once again, nothin' gets past you, does it.  

"According to passer rating" I seem to read there.  LOL 

I tend to base my positions on production.  

Nevertheless, since apparently you're perfectly willing to place the sum-total of Allen's relevance on rating, feel free to extend your bullish take on Allen according to this; 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating/seasontype/2

Just in case you have difficulties with the link, it reveals that Allen and Rosen are essentially neck-and-neck, by the proverbial country-mile, in rating, ranked 32nd and 33rd, ... out of 33 that is.  

You really do enjoy taking things out of context and then accusing others of doing the same, don't you?

That's fine, but it makes it very difficult to have any type of real conversation.

You said that Allen is horrific in the red zone.  Go ahead and quantify that for us.  He's not even in the bottom 5 in passer rating in the red zone, so how bad can he be?  Instead of simply dropping a nebulous one-liner with absolutely zero supporting evidence, go ahead and substantiate it.  I'm open-minded, but I'm not going to simply accept an "I said it so it must be true" argument.

If you think he's horrific in the red zone, then show us the data.  Instead, what you've done here is claim that all I'm interested in is passer rating, which really has no basis.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/7/2019 at 3:12 PM, thebandit27 said:

You really do enjoy taking things out of context and then accusing others of doing the same, don't you?

That's fine, but it makes it very difficult to have any type of real conversation.

You said that Allen is horrific in the red zone.  Go ahead and quantify that for us.  He's not even in the bottom 5 in passer rating in the red zone, so how bad can he be?  Instead of simply dropping a nebulous one-liner with absolutely zero supporting evidence, go ahead and substantiate it.  I'm open-minded, but I'm not going to simply accept an "I said it so it must be true" argument.

If you think he's horrific in the red zone, then show us the data.  Instead, what you've done here is claim that all I'm interested in is passer rating, which really has no basis.

I am trying hard to remember but I do not recall Josh having any red zone TO's and the majority of TD runs were, of course,  "red zone plays."  So I'd think his actual red zone production would be pretty solid for a first year guy lacking a bona fide, go up and get it,  red zone target.  His passer rating would totally miss the quality and quantity of his red zone runs.  So, I suspect, the "horrific in the red zone" statement is probably not supported by anything.

Even the yellow tiles show him to be below average. He needs to raise his completion percentage by 10% if he's going to take us to the promised land. I just watched the Detroit game again and he was missing open receivers all over the field. It was ugly.

21 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Even the yellow tiles show him to be below average. He needs to raise his completion percentage by 10% if he's going to take us to the promised land. I just watched the Detroit game again and he was missing open receivers all over the field. It was ugly.

Some of us have been pointing out the completion % problem for a long time. 

It's funny to see he is actually average or below average throwing behind the line of scrimmage.

:unsure:

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Some of us have been pointing out the completion % problem for a long time. 

It's funny to see he is actually average or below average throwing behind the line of scrimmage.

:unsure:

Haha that must mean he has a good throwing numbers beyond the line of scrimmage.

He had a bad Lions game certainly. Albeit Daboll did poorly as well. But that game is over by the half against any legit playoff team. Hence why we lost against pretty much all the playoff teams this year. He's got me excited. But he's got to get much better and much more consistent. Early and late in the game.

On 1/9/2019 at 5:12 PM, Tazor Face said:

Better Wrs

Improved run game

Improved OL

A full year in a new system

And a full off season with Allen at the helm with the starters

The futures looking bright I gotta wear shades?

Big Allen fan but not so much Beane. Dude better get JA these weapons, Daboll drill in a good scheme. But otherwise I haven't seen either of the two give this to JA so far (and not for lack of trying aka Kelvin-worth-3rd)

Cap space don't mean jack if Beane spends it all on 2014 Panthers