Easy to see where Josh Allen struggles with throws via NFL Next Gen Stats throw grid

Big Turk

Allen struggles pretty much at every distance on throws to the right except on balls over 20 yards in the air.

He also struggles badly on throws over 20 yards to the middle of the field and throws to left side of the field between 10-20 yards. 

He actually excels on throws from 0-10 yards over the middle.

Hopefully they put in the time to correct this issue on throws to the right at short distances...

Josh Allen  Qb-grid Chart

• Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Interesting that Darnold had the same issue on throws to the right...except his was red in the 20+ category too(apparently except the late 4th quarter throw he made to Anderson down the sideline over White that was picture perfect)...

Is it inherently easier for a right handed QB to throw to the left?

From what I saw throughout the year the #1 thing Josh needs to work on is throwing behind his wrs on short slants/crosses. Watch the final Dolphins game. He couldn't lead them to save his life. Even Zays td was behind,  but it accidentally worked out. He throws a good back shoulder. His accuracy numbers will improve. Keep working with Jordan Palmer.....

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Interesting that Darnold had the same issue on throws to the right...except his was red in the 20+ category too(apparently except the late 4th quarter throw he made to Anderson down the sideline over White that was picture perfect)...

Is it inherently easier for a right handed QB to throw to the left?

It always was for me.  I'd rather hit a shallow cross to the left after it crossed my face than a quick slant to the middle while the route is still to my right.  It didn't really matter for deeper throws when I had time to set my feet towards the throw.

1 minute ago, DuckyBoys said:

Mechanics,  he not resetting his feet to the right You can get away with it to the left   They will fix it

Beat me to it.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Allen struggles pretty much at every distance on throws to the right except on balls over 20 yards in the air.

He also struggles badly on throws over 20 yards to the middle of the field and throws to left side of the field between 10-20 yards. 

He actually excels on throws from 0-10 yards over the middle.

Hopefully they put in the time to correct this issue on throws to the right at short distances...

Josh Allen  Qb-grid Chart

I feel like most of his throw aways were to the right, that might be a factor as well. 

And just how are they accounting for dropped passes? I'm sure KB didn't help Allens stats at all. 

I've seen him hit quite a few WR in the hands and they dropped the ball, again how is that being factored in? 

I'd love to see a true stat on dropped balls by team as well as player. I've looked and there is no way Zay dropped only 2 passes all season, and from all online stats that's all I could find, with KB only dropping 2 as well. Those stats are not accurate. 

I'm sure if those passes were caught then we'd be seeing a 60% completion or close to it.

4 minutes ago, Yav said:

And just how are they accounting for dropped passes? I'm sure KB didn't help Allens stats at all. 

I've seen him hit quite a few WR in the hands and they dropped the ball, again how is that being factored in? 

I'd love to see a true stat on dropped balls by team as well as player. I've looked and there is no way Zay dropped only 2 passes all season, and from all online stats that's all I could find, with KB only dropping 2 as well. Those stats are not accurate. 

I'm sure if those passes were caught then we'd be seeing a 60% completion or close to it.

This horse has been beat. All teams have drops and sadly the Bills aren't even the worst offenders. He is being judged against all the other QBs who also have drops and throwaways. This isn't some report aimed directly at him. 

Edited by Trogdor

In rollouts to the right, I can think of 3 times where he was intercepted just prior to going out-of-bounds and it seems like most of his throw aways happened that way.  I can think of two almost TDs against the Vikings and Dolphins both were to Ivory but he really wasn't throwing those balls to his right.   More likely to have rolled right and run it in for a TD than having passed for one.  As a matter of fact, if they didn't ignore his rollouts or at least isolate them, I'd think these stats would be a meaningless mess.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

This horse has been beat. All teams have drops and sadly the Bills aren't even the worst offenders. He is being judged against all the other QBs who also have drops and throwaways. This isn't some report aimed directly at him. 

Never said it was a witch hunt. And if you do a little research the Bills are at the top of the drops in the NFL. At week 8 Cleveland was #1 in the NFL with a 7% drop rate followed by AZ & Buffalo who were in the 6% range. And Washing has the lowest drop rate at less than 1%. 

Now you you can say it’s been beaten but it’s not been analyzed at all. Sure all teams have drops but would it be fair to compare his numbers to Washings QBs? No because you now have a margin of error that your not accounting for. 

This is is why stats are miss leading. Anyone can mine data to support their claim, the key is to not only mine the data but to adjust based on variables and present the data on a level playing field. 

Lets say we take 1 game, and in that game Allen throws 1 pass deep center to KB and it hits him in the hands and he drops it. Now Alllen has a 0% over the middle for passes 20+ yards. Yet Brady throws the same pass, a little high but Gronk jumps up makes the catch and a TD. Brady ends with 100%. Does that stat show who threw a more accurate pass? No. A more catchable ball? No. But it shows Allen isn’t accurate. 

Edited by Yav
  • Like (+1) 1