Look at who turns 30 this year. Patrick Swayze's Roadhouse

RochesterRob

A guilty pleasure of mine.  Where else can you find improbable casting choices throughout the film.  Never thought of Swayze as anything resembling a tough guy before this.  Ben Gazarra as a local leading crime figure?  Bob Conrad's former body guard Red West as an auto parts store owner whose fists DON'T go flying.  One time  A-Team henchmen actors as Gazarra's muscle.  Attractive women with 80's teased up hair.  Top it off with Sam Elliot with a fresh load of gravel in his voice.  Not high brow but I don't mind the occasional fist flying drama.  That reminds me speaking of Robert Conrad and Red West I also enjoyed their Black Sheep Squadron with a man's man bout of testosterone despite playing loose with the history of the real VMF 214.

Road House is a classic. It is quintessential '80s, with it's acid washed wisdom, feathered hair glory, memorable performances, boobies, bar fights and it's very quotable. I have to send some respect to Terry Funk and Jeff Healey. There's so many throw away lines in that movie that still come out of my mouth like, "Well, if it keeps you in the good graces of the church-" and the reply, "Ain't it peculiar how money seems to do that very thing." 

Edited by ocemur
cut and paste fail

16 minutes ago, ocemur said:

Road House is a classic. It is quintessential '80s, with it's acid washed wisdom, feathered hair glory, memorable performances, boobies, bar fights and it's very quotable. I have to send some respect to Terry Funk and Jeff Healey. There's so many throw away lines in that movie that still come out of my mouth like, "Well, if it keeps you in the good graces of the church-" and the reply, "Ain't it peculiar how money seems to do that very thing." 

It is quintessential '80s, with it's acid washed wisdom and feathered hair glory,

More priceless lines.  Wesley (Gazarra) : I see you've found my trophy room, Dalton (Swayze).  The only thing missing .............is your ass.  Wesley (Gazarra) thug :  Iv'e effed guys like you in prison!  Note that he did not say effed up but just "effed."

Edited by RochesterRob

Never saw Road House and probably never will.

I was a big fan of "Baa Baa Black Sheep" as a kid.

All the kids on my street at the time painted our "Flying Aces Attack Carrier" foam rubber planes in dark blue paint to look like the Corsairs in the show.  The rubber would flex on the wings and the paint cracked...still looked cool though.

1975-vtg-mattel-flying-aces-attack_1_245

35 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

The hot doctor who falls for a bouncer.   Classic. 

A movie part for Jeff Healey and his band.

Culminates with big fight scene. 

Corny as can be, but a classic at the same time. 

I could not imagine it done straight as opposed to campy and corny.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

The hot doctor who falls for a bouncer.   Classic. 

A movie part for Jeff Healey and his band.

Culminates with big fight scene. 

Corny as can be, but a classic at the same time. 

Kelly Lynch was hot yet her sex scene with Swayze was not alos a funny note on that is this.....

http://screencrush.com/bill-murray-road-house/

I've always felt that Roadhouse was a nod to the old Westerns, just set in modern times. A band of desperadoes, led by a corrupt man of great wealth, looks to control an entire town. A drifter, with a sketchy past, arrives and rallies the downtrodden to stand up to the menace.

Place it in the old West and it's really the same story as Clint Eastwood's High Plains Drifter.

Check out the names of the main characters - John Dalton, Wade Garrett, Elizabeth Clay and Brad Wesley - they are straight out of Western character writing 101.

I've never seen it written, but I assume the screenwriters had that in mind when they penned the script.

Also one of my favorite guilty pleasures. 

Edited by ChevyVanMiller