What was the motivation for leaking the old Josh Allen tweets?

14 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

How can you retrieve old tweets that have seen deleted months ago, though?  

This is why I think it was definitely deliberate and calculated 

Think of it as a screenshot of what the internet looked like on any given day in history. It will change each day, but there are plenty of resources out there that capture it day to day.

Awhile back, someone posted TBD as it was back in '98 when it started. I think that was from Wayback. 

6 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Player agents and adjectives like slimy and shady go together.  I think they have more media connections and are more likely to manipulate public opinion for the benefit of their client.  

NFL agents in general - did you read the area Ryan rumors that said he was interested in both Miami jobs?  There’s not a doubt in my mind those stories were planted by the notorious super agent Jimmy Sexson.  There’s probably little interest in Rex,  but the hope is that the reports make it look like he’s in demand.  

10 minutes ago, papazoid said:

get use to it

kevin hart says hi

i guess people don't pay much attention to the world except for Bills news on here.... Heisman winner got skunked as well.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I can’t see the Bills behind the leak.  If it somehow ever got back to Allen, he might hold grudge against team.  Counter-productive.  Rosen’s agent is probably #1 suspect.  Followed by an A-hole like Tannenbaum.  

I think there is a zero chance the Bills were in anyway behind the leak. The character of the front office just does not match up with this type of action. Plus, as you stated it would not make sense to do this to the guy you are trying to draft. If you get him and he finds out, there Would be a massive grudge being held by Allen and it would cause a rift that could not be repaired without the firings of those deemed responsible. I doubt any NFL team dabbles in this behavior as the league would frown upon it and it would give any organization a serious black eye (lose credibility and respect from players around the league because it would be seen as a scumbag move). It’s much more likely another agent, an ex girlfriend or some former friend did Allen in. 

1 minute ago, Captain_Quint said:

Think of it as a screenshot of what the internet looked like on any given day in history. It will change each day, but there are plenty of resources out there that capture it day to day.

Awhile back, someone posted TBD as it was back in '98 when it started. I think that was from Wayback. 

Isn’t this site indexing?  You can index any site but you can also prevent indexing with a line of code which will exclude it from the bots doing the work.  

I dont believe that Twitter is indexed, which would make it very hard to access old deleted tweets from individual users unless they were someone monitoring them beforehand.  

I believe someone found the tweets when they were live, took a screenshot, and held onto the photos for a while.  

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Cardinals.

Yep, that's the logical culprit.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would not be surprised if it was the Bills FO

I would be shocked with this regime, not at all with the last.  These guys seem, to me at least, to be on the up and up in all aspects of their lives.

8 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Yep, that's the logical culprit.

I would be shocked with this regime, not at all with the last.  These guys seem, to me at least, to be on the up and up in all aspects of their lives.

It would be more than disappointing if the Bills FO released the tweets. If they did (which I strongly believe they would never do) and it became known that they did, Josh Allen would leave for another team. It would be a situation, where we finally find our QB, yet he decides to leave elsewhere because the Bills violated him on a personal level.

Edited by KellyToTasker
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Isn’t this site indexing?  You can index any site but you can also prevent indexing with a line of code which will exclude it from the bots doing the work.  

I dont believe that Twitter is indexed, which would make it very hard to access old deleted tweets from individual users unless they were someone monitoring them beforehand.  

I believe someone found the tweets when they were live, took a screenshot, and held onto the photos for a while.  

Not really sure how it works, but I would assume that it's people who are either looking for money or just to create chaos. It would be interesting to find out if NFL players get anonymous blackmail threats or not.

And I would almost guarantee you're right, that someone captured the tweets and held on to them. 

1 hour ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Over the past few weeks, I’ve been re-examining the 2018 draft to read the evaluations of Josh Allen.

In doing so, I came across the article below which included the drama which came out about the old Josh Allen tweets.  Back then I felt that it should have been a non-issue considering that date of the original tweet and the fact that what we wrote was seemingly meant in jest. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/offensive-tweets-josh-allen-surface-hours-nfl-draft-024847843.html

Fortunately Allen and the Bills both handeled that situation very well and rightfully it’s now a dead issue.  

We’ll never know who exactly leaked the tweets.  What we do know is that Allen’s management team had him delete the tweets last January as he was preparing the process of entering the NFL draft.  It’s  no coincidence that the screenshot of the old tweets were released just 24 hours before the actual draft.  These screen caps of deleted tweets didn’t just randomly appear the day before the draft for no reason.  

But what do you think was the motivation for doing it?  I have thought of 2 possible scenarios:

1.) Malice - someone (either a fan, competing  agent, or journalist) was holding onto these tweets for months (maybe years) and waited until the last minute to release them to the press to hurt Allen’s draft status, in turn costing him millions of dollars and potentially sabotaging his career before it gets started.  

2.) Strategy - the tweets were strategically released by a competing agent or an executive of an NFL team positioned toward the bottom of the draft.  The idea would be that the negative press would scare the teams at the top away, allowing Allen to fall to the bottom of the Round 1 much like Laramie Tunsill.  Essentially they would get a Top 10 pick at the bottom of the round without having to trade up.   

There’s also the potential it could have been a strategic reason by a competing agent.   With Allen dropping, it could allow other clients (possibly other highly rated QB’s) the opportunity to get taken higher, make and more money, which in turn allows the agency to profit.  

I would like to think that members of NFL teams are on the up-and-up and would never stoop to such unethical measures for professional gain, but I’ve been surprised before.  

Any any other suggestions?

Either way, whether it’s Allen or Tunsill, I think the way that people deliberately try to make these young athletes look bad is terrible.   Especially when you consider the type of character than Allen appears to have shown this season.   Very glad this behind both of those athletes and I hope behavior like this does not become common before the draft.  

The drama surrounding this was full SJW insanity. He retweeted lyrics to a rap song(s).

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

Not really sure how it works, but I would assume that it's people who are either looking for money or just to create chaos. It would be interesting to find out if NFL players get anonymous blackmail threats or not.

And I would almost guarantee you're right, that someone captured the tweets and held on to them. 

I think you’re right s. There’s definitely a market for blackmail, sad to say

1 hour ago, jahnyc said:

One thing about this that I thought was strange is that I recall Allen said that only the Bills reached out to him after the release of the tweets.  If other teams were interested in Allen, wouldn't they have reached out to Allen as well?

I don't believe he said only the Bills but the bills did reach out to him.  I don't know why he would or if he would mention of other teams would have asked him about it. 

And I'm sure other teams would decline or deny reaching out to him anyways. 

There could have been any number or motives here. And, yes, it is certainly possible that the Bills were the team that leaked the tweets. Yes, they supposedly were the only team to grill Josh about these tweets after they came out, but that could have been a mirage in and of itself to alleviate (and disguise the leak) from Josh and his agent. Let's remember a few things:

1. The Bills were on the Josh Allen bang wagon for some time. I firmly believe that he is the QB they targeted all along, and would have taken him #1 overall if they were in the position to do so.

2. When the Jets moved up to 3, the Bills were potentially in the position to lose out on 3 (possibly even all 4) of the top-rated QBs in the draft.

3. Aside from the Browns and Jets who ultimately took QBs, there was a legitimate concern that both the Giants (picking at 2) as well as the Broncos (picking at 5) were in the QB market. The Bills had tried to work out a deal with both the Giants and Browns to move up from 7 but the price to do so was prohibitive for the Bills (at least both 2018 first rounders in addition to 2019 first round pick). The Bills had a framework deal in place with the Broncos that would have included both first round picks (plus more) to move up to 5; however, when the Browns surprised by taking the CB at #4 and left the DE on the board at #5, the Broncos reneged. The Colts were dead-set on the OG, so the Bills wound up finally working the deal with the Bucs. The price of two 2nd rounders seemed like a steep price at the time for moving up 5 spots, but we now know that both Miami and Arizona were also trying to move up for Allen as well.

Hence, there was ample reason for the Bills to have leaked the tweets in hopes of scaring the Browns (and there were some members of their front office who preferred Allen to Mayfield), Giants (who were looking for a QB to back-fill Eli but ultimately decided that Barkely was too good to pass up), the Jets (who seemed willing to take any of the top 3 QBs given the move they made), and Broncos (who may have been looking QB after failing to sign Cousins and settling for journeyman Keenum in the off-season).

There is also precedent in prior administrations for this sort of pre-draft shenanigans in Buffalo. Remember when Buddy and his scouts anonymously spread the word that Cordy Glenn was only an interior lineman at the NFL level and would not be able to play LT? Buddy even joked about leaking this misinformation once the draft was over.

I know it seems cynical -- and I am not saying that the Bills were necessarily the team that did this as other teams (obviously, the Dolphins and Cardinals and possibly others like the Ravens, Pats or Steelers) had similar motives -- but this is part of business in the NFL. All is fair in love and war, after all. If the Bills really were behind the leaks, they can make it up to Josh by boosting his offensive line and acquiring at least one more quality WR (and TE) in the off-season. LOL

Edited by 2003Contenders

It's entirely possible that Josh was collateral damage and his agent Tom Condon was the real target. He came off looking the worst IMO - how could he not have tasked a junior employee to scour over the social media accounts of his draft prospect clients? Possibly a rival agent?