NFL TV ratings up 5%

papazoid

7 minutes ago, papazoid said:

Of the top 50 telecasts since the start of the 2018 season, 46 were NFL games.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25670107/nfl-television-ratings-rose-5-percent-2017

who says the NFL is dying ?

Anthem drama, CTE news, oversaturation in commercials (dilly fuggin dilly, the Verizon weasel looking dude, and God friended me scar my brain) and the ****show that is nfl officiating all suck but... It's football. It's too popular and entertaining. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am watching more football now than ever before. The bad teams are becoming good and the good teams are becoming bad. Excited to see teams like the Bills and Browns show so much promise. I hope the Steelers and Patriots end up as bottom feeders for the next 20 years. I am so tired of them to the point of not even wanting to watch their games anymore, I mean we all know who is going to win, it's bad for the game.

This is where I find the league's (see: Lizard Face Jones and Donald Kraft) focus on new stadium revenue to be hilariously about extracting money from the pockets of small markets as a punitive reaction to "unfair" profit sharing when in reality, this league is more and more a TV league. The tiny amount of new revenue from new stadiums is dwarfed by TV revenue yet this endless throbbing knob for new stadiums is stupid. The money is in TV contracts and ad revenue. The stadium experience, imo, is getting worse and worse around the league (STH and I get to a road game a year) as they bombard you with ads and noise and ads and noise and ads and noise during every stoppage. $11 beers are stupid. I used t get a beer or two every game, think I bought one the entire season. I don't need a 24 ounce beer in September that'll be pizz warm in the 80 degree heat before I am half done. $5 waters. No thanks. That's my entire group of 9 people. No one hardly buys anything anymore, it's gotten stupid. So as more and more teams try to extract every penny from their STHs and fans in the stadium, I expect numbers to dwindle. 

I would be curious, however, to know how much the rate of increase is due to new households watching? If say 500K new households were formed last year, how many of those watched? Put another way, how much is due to more viewers than an actual increase in the percentage of viewers from the prior years' number of households? 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Personally, my interest is way up this year over the previous few seasons.  I think it's the new guard of QB's: Goff, Wentz, Mahomes, Allen, Mayfield, Darnold, etc.  Last season (2017) I watched the Bills and not much else, because I was definitely losing interest.  It's boring to watch the same teams (Patriots, Steelers, Packers) win all the time.  I still think the NFL has some BIG problems they need to address:

-Pace of Game: I was at New Era Field Sunday and I had forgotten how annoying commercial breaks are in the Stadium.  They are bad enough on my couch in front of the TV.  I know the NFL is soaking up every last penny it can, but it really drags down the overall interest.

-Officiating: It bothers me that I know the name of almost all the refs in the NFL.  I take that as a sign that I see their faces waaaay too much.  The rule changes, the constant penalties, the 5 minute instant replay reviews multiple times a game is really wearing.  And of course, the inconsistency of the refereeing is probably the biggest problem.

-In-stadium experience: this kind of goes with Pace of Game, but I think they need to prioritize making the experience of the fans at the games more.  Which to me means: more football, less commercials.  Cheaper to attend.  

I hope the NFL addresses these issues, but I'm not holding my breath.

38 minutes ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

A bunch of hillbilly rednecks who never really watched and took interest in football to begin with.

Ah yes. It's 2018, better take a swipe at rural America.

I would guess that all of the new QB prospects had somethimg to do with it, especially in markets starving for excitement like Buffalo, Cleveland, and Arizona.

I think that has more impact than the lack of anthem protests, but I could be wrong. If I am wrong, wouldn't that mean that these terrible, horrible, no good, very bad "hillbilly rednecks" did in fact take interest to begin with, since they came back to equal 5% of total viewership?

• Like (+1) 1

NFL Ad Revenues Up Nearly 4%

Advertising on NFL games for the five ad-supported TV networks are up 3.6% this year through 16 weeks of the season.

Through December 23, the NFL took in $3.71 billion, up from $3.58 billion a year ago, according to iSpot.tv.

https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/329800/nfl-ad-revenues-up-nearly-4-this-fall.html

58 minutes ago, zonabb said:

This is where I find the league's (see: Lizard Face Jones and Donald Kraft) focus on new stadium revenue to be hilariously about extracting money from the pockets of small markets as a punitive reaction to "unfair" profit sharing when in reality, this league is more and more a TV league. The tiny amount of new revenue from new stadiums is dwarfed by TV revenue yet this endless throbbing knob for new stadiums is stupid. The money is in TV contracts and ad revenue. The stadium experience, imo, is getting worse and worse around the league (STH and I get to a road game a year) as they bombard you with ads and noise and ads and noise and ads and noise during every stoppage. $11 beers are stupid. I used t get a beer or two every game, think I bought one the entire season. I don't need a 24 ounce beer in September that'll be pizz warm in the 80 degree heat before I am half done. $5 waters. No thanks. That's my entire group of 9 people. No one hardly buys anything anymore, it's gotten stupid. So as more and more teams try to extract every penny from their STHs and fans in the stadium, I expect numbers to dwindle. 

I would be curious, however, to know how much the rate of increase is due to new households watching? If say 500K new households were formed last year, how many of those watched? Put another way, how much is due to more viewers than an actual increase in the percentage of viewers from the prior years' number of households? 

May I upvote you ten more times and vote for you for President?

I’ve said this a couple of times and this should not only be repeated, but spread nationally.

these cathedrals are ridiculous.  Never stop adding ways to make money, except this nonsense that we have to have death star type stadiums.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

1 hour ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

Anthem drama, CTE news, oversaturation in commercials (dilly fuggin dilly, the Verizon weasel looking dude, and God friended me scar my brain) and the ****show that is nfl officiating all suck but... It's football. It's too popular and entertaining. 

I agree with all of this and each one loses some people but i stopped watching this year because i expected the Bills to be bad and officiating was so absurd the previous year. Both i expect to be fully rectified next year and i will be back. I do think ticket sales slid this year which might be a hit in the pocketbook for teams but not one owner is selling.

1 hour ago, zonabb said:

10 years ago when you were buying those $7 beers there was someone 10 years older wondering who the people were that were paying $7 for a frickin' beer!:beer:

The concession lines are less busy individually but with the added space from the renovation there are more of them and the young people keep buying those beers.

Thankfully the concourses are actually negotiable now.

One additional reason teams want a new stadium is a larger footprint to make it easier to sell food/drink/merchandise..........ideally without not entirely leaving the game experience the way you have to now in the upper and lower decks..   

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

NFL Ad Revenues Up Nearly 4%

Advertising on NFL games for the five ad-supported TV networks are up 3.6% this year through 16 weeks of the season.

Through December 23, the NFL took in $3.71 billion, up from $3.58 billion a year ago, according to iSpot.tv.

https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/329800/nfl-ad-revenues-up-nearly-4-this-fall.html

But...but....Goodell sucks!!!!  Why don't they fire him????

Attendance was its worst in a long time, I assume they count tickets sold as some games were barely a third filled.

So one podcast last week suggested in the near future that Amazon could propose the rights to a prime time game each week, along with the Super Bowl, easily offer twice the highest current package to the NFL.

In order to watch you would download an app that will collect data off you for Amazon’s use.

this will be interesting...

4 hours ago, papazoid said:

Of the top 50 telecasts since the start of the 2018 season, 46 were NFL games.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25670107/nfl-television-ratings-rose-5-percent-2017

who says the NFL is dying ?

Good.

Now how about doing something for the fans like giving them 30% off on game tickets next year?

After all ratings are up and they want to show us appreciation.....right?

4 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

I wonder if this had anything to do with the networks not broadcasting every single freaking game's national anthem to show who was kneeling.

Wouldn't surprise me.

Have to echo your sentiment. It was obvious to me and anyone else who was paying attention. It seems like all they would talk about the last year or two. This year, they just didn’t talk about it or show it.