Report: Bills working on extension for Jordan Phillips

YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Beane spends money on most deals like its coming out of his own retirement account so I’d be surprised if he overpays but we will see

Too bad he cannot control his head coach from hiring coaches and giving them golden parachutes.

6 hours ago, sven233 said:

Matt Parrino @MattParrino 47s48 seconds ago

Despite tweet Jordan Phillips HAS NOT re-signed with #Bills just yet. Brandon Beane told reporters this week he’s hoping to chat with his reps in Indy this week. Stay tuned.

Who knows what his tweet means, if anything, but if he does come back, I hope we get a decent price on him.  He was pretty good at home, but sometimes invisible on the road.  Consistency has always been an issue with him.

Maybe the Bills can do with him like Chiefs did with CJ Spiller - put him on roster (home games) and off (away games) as needed.  If they pay him twice the salary they would normally pay him he would be happy.  ?

59 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Interesting development if true.  Probably a significant deal if he’s not gonna test free agency.  Can’t see Bills going DT early in draft.  

Not necessarily a “significant” deal..

His agent would have been “unofficially” talking with other teams at the Combine these past few days.., maybe he didn’t like what they were saying and has accepted Beane’s original deal that was initially put on hold..

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/jordan-phillips/9485

I can't understand why people think this guy will be in demand or why people even want him on the team. He is a below average dt that could be easily upgraded. This years fa and draft are absolutely loaded with better options than Phillips. He was a part of only 19 tackles all year with not a single qb hit.

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Beane spends money on most deals like its coming out of his own retirement account so I’d be surprised if he overpays but we will see

Corey Coleman thinks differently, he got 3mil cash from Beane for a one week tryout.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Only 9 more days before his agent gets a lot of phone calls from around the league.

The part I like is that he wants to be HERE , and if McD wants him back that tells me he fits what we’re trying to build here /‘’proses’’ 

to be honest when we singed him  FIRST I was a little surprised & didn’t think he would last here till the end of the season , 

I keep forgetting that Joe Schoen was with the Dolphins when Phillips was drafted.  I think Joe knew the situation in Miami.  In fact, if you read the interview with Joe in the Buffalo News (yesterday) -- he described Miami as a place where the philosophy was "collecting players" rather than building a team. 

Maybe Phillips wants to be part of a "team" atmosphere in a city where fans are passionate.  Like Star, Phillips seems willing to do the dirty work at the Nose.  As we all know, this position doesn't get the glory plays -- it allows others to get the TFLs and stops while taking up multiple blockers...

Confusing signals. Reports that McBeane want him back/negotiations are on going/favorable tweets yet Beane stating he’s earned the right to FA to see his value. ?‍♂️

With this, I can’t see anything happening til after the 1st week of FA, or 3 weeks from now..

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Confusing signals. Reports that McBeane want him back/negotiations are on going/favorable tweets yet Beane stating he’s earned the right to FA to see his value. ?‍♂️

With this, I can’t see anything happening til after the 1st week of FA, or 3 weeks from now..

Have the feeling Beane is nearly always going to let our FA pickups test the market come contract time.
 to see if they come back at Buffalo sharing the offers.
do they want to be in Buffalo ? or do they just follow the money.
Test of character perhaps.

note. i am not sure if they will treat players acquired through the draft the same way. If they like the development and commitment to the team and the craft ? Beane  "might ' show a bit of favoritism or attempt to lock them up early. just a hunch : )

13 hours ago, Turk71 said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/jordan-phillips/9485

I can't understand why people think this guy will be in demand or why people even want him on the team. He is a below average dt that could be easily upgraded. This years fa and draft are absolutely loaded with better options than Phillips. He was a part of only 19 tackles all year with not a single qb hit.

Bills need that rotation and some mixed skills sets and tech specific alignments. Phillips fits. and may have a bit more upside if using to his strengths inside.

Scheme player. does he fit bills D going forward? can he play his gap assignment soundly each play ?

this affects the draft not one bit i hope

The Bills placed a value on him.  If he can get more than that, he should move on.  As has been stated previously, there are a lot better FA and draft prospects than Philips out there.  That said, they appear to want him back for a price both sides are aware of.  I would like to see him back, he has some upside, having been with the team last year and there is something to be said about knowing exactly what you got in a player.  Not every signing has to be a superstar.