Report: Bills working on extension for Jordan Phillips

YoloinOhio

59 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Example: you can have a guaranteed base salary of $3M one year and a guaranteed base salary of $27M the next year and sign a player to a 2 year $30M deal while only sustaining a $3M cap hit in year one. 

That's an extreme example...........the Bills had like $30M in cap room so they were hardly that broke..........but the point being that limited cap space in year one is irrelevant if there is TONS of it available in the following year(s). 

The Cousins deal was a 3 year deal with all base salaries guaranteed..........expensive for sure........but not likely to ever result in any dead money..........they are committed for 3 years and then it's over with zero dead money.

When you have RIDICULOUS amounts of cap space like the Bills have this year and next........with almost no free agents of their own to re-sign........you can do things like that.  

It would have been stupid for the Bills to pass on a free agent they really needed last year...............and I don't think they did...........they just got turned down by guys like John Brown.......like I said.......for reasons partly their own doing it wasn't an attractive FA option.............but again, it sounds better to cry poor.

thanks for taking time to explain and for examples.  ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/14/2019 at 7:29 PM, 3rdand12 said:

not sure i can agree with this.

there are more players to add that list did not work out at all.
and self induced Talent vacuum does not forgive Bills FO in trying to reset.

They are trying something different this team had not yet tried the full rebuild and past attempts at plugging holes was not working

this will be a big tell tail year

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

They are trying something different this team had not yet tried the full rebuild and past attempts at plugging holes was not working

Well, I would only say the did try it with Tom Donahue but that doesn't mean it won't work this time. I trust these guys far more than those fellas.

30 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Two more years at least. I mean they need half a dozen new starters on offense alone. Forget DT and DE. I know you can’t build an all star team with top guys at every position but they are not one year away from contention. No way.

23 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You couldn't be more wrong.

Dareus had a cap figure of $5.7M in 2018 and $9M this year..........but the Jags can cut him with zero dead money because that's all base salary. 

Star has an $11.5M cap figure in 2019...........and if the Bills tried to cut him they would have to eat $12.5M in dead money because they guaranteed him $25M at signing.?

Noacls was not totally wrong if I am looking at everything correctly.

I believe you are thinking of Dareus’ 2017 cap number when you mention the $5.7M.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/marcell-dareus-7718/

Dareus had a $10.1M cap hit in Jacksonville in 2018 and has a $10.585M cap hit for 2019 (if the Jags keep him. $0 if cut, as you mentioned), a $14.6M 2020 cap hit and a $14.65M 20201 cap hit. 

And remember, that cap hit would have been higher (for 2018, 2019 and 2020) if he had remained with Buffalo. 

His cap hits in buffalo would have been:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-analysis-all-22/2015/9/12/9310199/marcell-dareus-contract-details-buffalo-bills-full-breakdown

2017 - $16.4M

2018 - $16.58M

2019 - $17.9M

2020 - $16M

2021 - $14.65M

The Bills did not save much in 2017 and 2018 salary cap space (about $5M in 2017 and $2M in 2018 cap space) but they saved a lot of money owed from 2019-2021.

Here is a breakdown of what the Bills saved by trading Dareus:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/10/27/16562802/buffalo-bills-salary-cap-ramifications-for-trading-marcell-dareus-to-jacksonville-jaguars

All told, the Bills spent about $47 million on Dareus and saved a little more than that (on what was still due) by trading him. Which is about equal to Star’s contract if he’s here for the entire 5 years (5 years/$51 million). But Star will have on average a $4M to $6M cheaper salary cap hit the whole time. 

for comparison, Star’s cap hits:

2018- $6.7M 

2019- $11.5M

2020- $10.1M

2021- $10.85M

2022- $10.85M

Dareus did have a $13M dead cap hit for 2018, if you wanted to include that. So 2018 is really the only year where you could say star cost us more ($6.7M + $13M dead cap vs. $16.58M if Dareus were on the Bills roster). 

Edited by BillsFan4

7 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...damn good assessment bud.....Star has quietly gone about his job....he was probably paid extra because they knew the type of guy they were getting (stat quiet as expected)...whose crystal bawls predicted Vontae quitting?.......Murphy, dinged and PED baggage was a crap shoot gap filler with limited resources.....Coleman was a fleece job as was Anquan BolDONE earlier.....Newhouse was a whiff and probably Jethro Bodine (shoulda signed Ellie Mae).......BUT....look at rounds 3 through 7 and tell me McBeane & Company suck.....add in UDFA's Wallace & Foster for good measure.....no matter what, you'll "never please the predominating poster" who cites how bad this gang is 24/7/365.......pfffft.......

Round 3, Pick 32 (No. 96 overall): Harrison Phillips, DT, Stanford

Andy Benoit's grade: B+

The estimable Kyle Williams is probably playing his last season, and the Bills likely hope Phillips can be the run defender to replace him. To replace Williams’s pass rushing, however, they may have to look elsewhere.

Round 4, Pick 21 (No, 121 overall): Taron Johnson, CB, Weber State

Round 5, Pick 17 (No. 154 overall) [via Baltimore]: Siran Neal, CB, Jacksonville State

Round 5, Pick 29 (No. 166 overall): Wyatt Teller, G, Virginia Tech

Round 6, Pick 13 (No. 187 overall): Ray-Ray McCloud, WR, Clemson

Round 7, Pick 37 (No. 255 overall): Austin Proehl, WR, North Carolina(only one no longer on roster)

Well said, and in my book, inarguable.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt Parrino @MattParrino 47s48 seconds ago

Despite tweet Jordan Phillips HAS NOT re-signed with #Bills just yet. Brandon Beane told reporters this week he’s hoping to chat with his reps in Indy this week. Stay tuned.

Who knows what his tweet means, if anything, but if he does come back, I hope we get a decent price on him.  He was pretty good at home, but sometimes invisible on the road.  Consistency has always been an issue with him.

Edited by sven233

35 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Matt Parrino @MattParrino 47s48 seconds ago

Despite tweet Jordan Phillips HAS NOT re-signed with #Bills just yet. Brandon Beane told reporters this week he’s hoping to chat with his reps in Indy this week. Stay tuned.

Who knows what his tweet means, if anything, but if he does come back, I hope we get a decent price on him.  He was pretty good at home, but sometimes invisible on the road.  Consistency has always been an issue with him.

Based on Beane’s comments this week I think it’s a question of when he is signed, not if 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Based on Beane’s comments this week I think it’s a question of when he is signed, not if 

Yeah.....I definitely think they want him back.  And so do I.  I just don't want to overpay because I don't see him as a dominant starter at DT.  He is a great rotational guy, though.

Edited by sven233

2 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Yeah.....I definitely think they want him back.  And so do I.  I just don't want to overpay because I don't see him as a dominant starter at DT.  He is a great rotational guy, though,

Beane spends money on most deals like its coming out of his own retirement account so I’d be surprised if he overpays but we will see

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 2/16/2019 at 2:59 PM, vincec said:

Two more years at least. I mean they need half a dozen new starters on offense alone. Forget DT and DE. I know you can’t build an all star team with top guys at every position but they are not one year away from contention. No way.

Could be but, Josh Allen is a gamer so not that far away,  add three oline counting a tight end, bonifide #1WR, RB but think Shady will have a better year. Defense, DT, Cb, LB, but the most important thing is coaching!  Play to are strengths and be unpredictable, did I mention Josh Allen?

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Beane spends money on most deals like its coming out of his own retirement account so I’d be surprised if he overpays but we will see

Sound like anyone else in the AFC east who has SB rings as well ?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

His agent is very likely already talking to anyone interested this week at the combine (illegally)

WHAT !

is any one aware of this breach of regulations ?

i do hope Bills get him back. he seems to love it here for some reason..
 good player on the field in rotations, They need another one over center i think, from the draft. they might surprise me though. 
keep him as strong depth if able.