Report: Bills working on extension for Jordan Phillips

YoloinOhio

On 1/2/2019 at 8:09 PM, NewEra said:

I’m all for it.  Especially with the loss of Kyle, we still need one more guy to go with Star and the 2 Phillips kids.  I can see him costing us a game or two with his over excitement penalties but that’s fine with me.  I like the guy a lot

Put in some penalties in contract to disencourage or bonuses in contract to keep under control.

On 2/8/2019 at 11:42 AM, H2o said:

I'm not saying another team is going to give him $10,000,000 per. I am saying that we dug the hole for ourselves when we gave Star $10,000,000 per. You can throw out all of the niceties and rah-rah about Star you want, but I would bet money Star's contract is the basis of Phillips' demands. Unless we offer him something comparable he will not be back in a Bills uni. 

Then he should not be on Bills roster next year.

On 2/8/2019 at 10:50 AM, thenorthremembers said:

Making too much of a deal out of a rotational guy who shouldn't be paid more than 2 million dollars a year.  He is a average to slightly above average player, who just happened to get cut from the team that drafted him.  

The delay is the Bills offering him what he is worth, and he and his agent waiting to see if they get more in the open market.  It's a good Defensive Tackle class, and the Bills should be playing this slow.  No need to rush over Jordan Phillips.  He is fun to watch, but having him or not having him wont make much of a difference overall.

I dont think he should get anywhere near 10 per, but some of you really areclueless as to what NFL players get paid.  You do understand there is a differencebetween rotational and back up player right.

On 2/8/2019 at 10:44 AM, H2o said:

We paid 10 mill per to a guy who had lost his starting position in Carolina and had a decline in production the previous 2 years before that. If you think Phillips is going to return to this team for anything much less comparable then you are sadly mistaken. Especially when the guy knows he is going to be leaned on more heavily because of Kyle's retirement. We created our own problem here by giving Star that contract. 

Yeah the Star Lotulelei deal was one of the worst FA deals in Bills history...........and a panic move they felt necessary to make after the structural destruction caused to the D by the Dareus trade.

Everyone but McBeane seemed to know the Star deal was a huge overpay though.

It was universally panned.

Nobody is paying Phillips $10M per............Star's deal may make him feel inclined to shop around but Phillips isn't that good and he has personality issues.

I would hope that with experience, Harrison Phillips can do what Star did last year.........which wasn't much........and then maybe they can find some other run stuffer so that Star can be healthy scratched if necessary next year.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah the Star Lotulelei deal was one of the worst FA deals in Bills history...........and a panic move they felt necessary to make after the structural destruction caused to the D by the Dareus trade.

LOL.

Talk about a subjective opinion being presented as objective fact.

At least Star's signing helped contribute to the 2nd ranked defense in the NFL.

You must have slept through the signings of Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker, Larry Triplett, Kirk Morrison, Vontae Davis, Peerless Price (second edition), Andra Davis, Andre Davis, Melvin Fowler, Mark Anderson, and Philip Gaines.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

LOL.

You must have slept through the signings of Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker, Larry Triplett, Kirk Morrison, Vontae Davis, Peerless Price (second edition), Andra Davis, Andre Davis, Melvin Fowler, Mark Anderson, and Philip Gaines.

Considering the price tag for someone that saw less then 50% of the snaps and only appeared on the stat sheet once with a single TFL. His salary combined with the dead money from Dareus proved to be not the greatest of deals. You can find space eaters for cheaper than his salary.

also, saying our defense was ranked 2nd proves stats are for losers. They were so bad in the beginning of the year, teams could run 0 offense and still win comfortably. If you watched most of their games they weren’t  even the 2nd best defense on the field most games

Edited by uticaclub

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

LOL.

....Jesus, talk about a drama queen......then again, da Bills NEVER do ANYTHING right, so the shoe fits...SMH...............

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Considering the price tag for someone that saw less then 50% of the snaps and only appeared on the stat sheet once with a single TFL. His salary combined with the dead money from Dareus proved to be not the greatest of deals. You can find space eaters for cheaper than his salary.

also, saying our defense was ranked 2nd proves stats are for losers. They were so bad in the beginning of the year, teams could run 0 offense and still win comfortably. If you watched most of their games they were even the 2nd best defense on the field most games

These are a couple hot takes that would make Steven A. blush. 

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

LOL.

At least Dockery and Walker were every down players.............and the only other significant money spent on that list was used on Vontae and Mark Anderson..........some of those guys you mentioned were near league minimum though for chrissakes. ?

The worst part about Dockery and Walker wasn't the salaries it was that they did it while trying to snooker Jason Peters.

That blew up on them big time.

But in terms of flat out production per-dollar I'd put Star up against any other big FA signing by the Bills.............if there's been a worse value you certainly didn't list it. 

In fairness the McBeane Bills had very little going for them entering free agency and had to overpay to some extent.     The Star guarantees were ridiculous even by that standard though.   

7 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

These are a couple hot takes that would make Steven A. blush. 

“Look, Shaq is a great talent. And I’m not saying he *can’t* dunk. I’m just saying he’s more of a free throw shooter. It’s an eye test thing” 

- Stephen A., probably 

• Haha (+1) 2

On 2/8/2019 at 5:51 PM, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Seeing J Phillips blow up the Dolphins line at will just because he was an out of control maniac (getting flags and benched) was enough for me. He's a solid depth piece to keep around.. and he looks like he can turn on the jets any given game and take over an OL when his emotions are dialed in. I was a fan after that Dolphins game, not because of the flags, but simply seeing him get to the backfield at will 3 consecutive plays just because he hates his old team showed me at worst he's solid depth, at best he's stomping around the backfield looking for the carrier like Godzilla.

Could have had a phenomenal game at Dolphins and changed this whole conversation based on that if he wasn't being such a jackwagon lol.

I love attitude but he made that game about himself.  He probably should have gotten a second flag because he was still taunting Miami after the first flag.

i thought he was solid pickup.  But some of you are dismissing the fact that he blows up at coaches or does selfish things way too easy.  

59 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

At least Dockery and Walker were every down players.............and the only other significant money spent on that list was used on Vontae and Mark Anderson..........some of those guys you mentioned were near league minimum though for chrissakes. ?

The worst part about Dockery and Walker wasn't the salaries it was that they did it while trying to snooker Jason Peters.

That blew up on them big time.

But in terms of flat out production per-dollar I'd put Star up against any other big FA signing by the Bills.............if there's been a worse value you certainly didn't list it. 

In fairness the McBeane Bills had very little going for them entering free agency and had to overpay to some extent.     The Star guarantees were ridiculous even by that standard though.   

It may be that Star was not a good value, but I think there is little question he outperformed Dareus in the role he was asked to play.  The real Dareus, what he had become, not the version he was when he was signed to the rich contract.  The fact is that Dareus had become an overweight, lazy, malcontent who was hurting the team by his presence.  Nothing in his performance since going to Jacksonville would suggest otherwise.  The Bills were better in the long term to be rid of him, even if they suffered in the short term, and even if they overpayed (at the same level they were paying the problem child) for an equal or better replacement.  The Defense improved.  

24 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I love attitude but he made that game about himself.  He probably should have gotten a second flag because he was still taunting Miami after the first flag.

i thought he was solid pickup.  But some of you are dismissing the fact that he blows up at coaches or does selfish things way too easy.  

Yeah he was a moron. Altogether a terrible series for the team. He also just looked amazing for that series.

But regardless I'm just saying it was pretty darn impressive how he was tossing Dolphins players around like sack dolls. Never caught my eye until then. Just good depth to have a guy that has that ceiling.. whatever the motivation.. to completely dominate every now and then while otherwise being a consistent role player.

I mean idk how annoying he is in the lockerroom and wouldn't miss him terribly but I'd like to see him another season or 2 to see if he can string more performances like that.. without being an idiot. Take a class from Hughes or something.

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

also, saying our defense was ranked 2nd proves stats are for losers. They were so bad in the beginning of the year, teams could run 0 offense and still win comfortably. If you watched most of their games they weren’t  even the 2nd best defense on the field most games

Imagine saying "stats are for losers" and then also CITING STATS FOR A FREAKING 1T/NT in the very same post. ?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 8

On 2/8/2019 at 4:25 PM, Binghamton Beast said:

The guy was waived from a contract he was making a little over 1 million a year on. We claimed him and did I read right that he played only one-third of the defensive snaps?

Giving this guy anywhere near 10 million a year would be so stupid.

You are correct.

People dont seem to get that 10 mil per is going rate for top flight run stuffers. 

4-6 mil per would be where he maxs out.  He doesnt call for a double team and hasnt shown to be an elite pass rusher.  What is his argument  gonna be.  But the starting DT got 10 mil.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

Two things about this post are absurd: space eaters like him are not had on the cheap but using stats to justify that opinion is dumb. I am sorry but your post reads as if you are trolling bashing stats on one hand while using them to justify your absurd thoughts on the other.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Everyone but McBeane seemed to know the Star deal was a huge overpay though.

It was universally panned.

Nobody is paying Phillips $10M per............Star's deal may make him feel inclined to shop around but Phillips isn't that good and he has personality issues.

I would hope that with experience, Harrison Phillips can do what Star did last year.........which wasn't much........and then maybe they can find some other run stuffer so that Star can be healthy scratched if necessary next year.   

Calling it one of the worst moves in Bills free agency history is just plain stupid.