Report: Bills working on extension for Jordan Phillips

YoloinOhio

26 minutes ago, H2o said:

Exactly, and that's what I believe we will do tbh. 

But as the article above states, why would any team give him that much (assuming that’s what he’s asking for) given the number of DTs available in the draft and FA? How do we even know the percentage of snaps he would play here in 2019 with the changes on the DL and/or that it would be significantly more on another team? I don’t think he will get a big contract anywhere, personally. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

But as the article above states, why would any team give him that much (assuming that’s what he’s asking for) given the number of DTs available in the draft and FA? How do we even know the percentage of snaps he would play here in 2019 with the changes on the DL and/or that it would be significantly more on another team? I don’t think he will get a big contract anywhere, personally. 

When motivated this guy is a BEAST........

So now we go back to how Miami released him....what were the circumstances behind hit because when he came to us he has a "chip on his shoulder"

We need to handle this in a way that he will forever have that chip and not get content

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

So now we go back to how Miami released him....what were the circumstances behind hit because when he came to us he has a "chip on his shoulder"

We need to handle this in a way that he will forever have that chip and not get content

Sure - but I don’t get why his value is higher elsewhere than in Buffalo as some others stated

On 2/8/2019 at 12:16 PM, H2o said:

Exactly, and that's what I believe we will do tbh. 

They may have made him an offer and werent close so they told him to test the market and get back to them.  That sort of thing.

On 2/8/2019 at 12:47 PM, YoloinOhio said:

The price for DTs is likely going to be down this year.  I believe you are correct, there will be some disappointed DTs this offseason.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

I will never question his talent.  But it does seem like he doesn’t always want to be a team guy.  It should be a huge red flag Miami released a guy that early who was drafted that high.  He could have really hurt us in the Miami game where he tried to make it all about himself.

that said, I’d rather have a guy with too much fire than not enough.  But I would be careful with paying him too much right now.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, H2o said:

Since we paid Star $10,000,000 per last offseason I think it is foolish to believe Phillips remains with us for anything much less comparable. 

The guy was waived from a contract he was making a little over 1 million a year on. We claimed him and did I read right that he played only one-third of the defensive snaps?

Giving this guy anywhere near 10 million a year would be so stupid.

3 hours ago, billieve420 said:

I am indifferent either way if he signs or not. A decent role player who can be replaced.

Mentally,I think every team needs a few "high motor" guys in the locker room,outside of Hughes and Phillips..we're empty.Although those 15 yard penalties need to stop.

3 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

They may have made him an offer and werent close so they told him to test the arket and get back to them.  That sort of thing.

The price for DTs is likely going to be down this year.  I believe you are correct, there will be some disappointed DTs this offseason.

Yeah -There is no way he’s not good enough to be more of a rotational guy here, but he is elsewhere. As if our DL is some kind of force ... also losing Kyle...

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yeah -There is no way he’s not good enough to be more of a rotational guy here, but he is elsewhere. As if our DL is some kind of force ... also losing Kyle...

I would be extremely disappointed if we didn't re-sign J Phillips. 

Who's left at the position? Star is a "space eater" and H. Phillips hasn't proven anything yet. We need help on the DLINE and are in no position to let a decent player get away. Just makes DT even MORE of a priority which means one less allocation of resources to the offense. Even if we keep Phillips, we still need a playmaker.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

The guy was waived from a contract he was making a little over 1 million a year on. We claimed him and did I read right that he played only one-third of the defensive snaps?

Giving this guy anywhere near 10 million a year would be so stupid.

..certainly agree BOE....Kyle was paid $5.5 mil as a rotational guy, but as a 13 yr vet whose Bflo career is unsurpassed.....$5.5 mil for TWO years is more like it.....seem to remember some other troubled Fin OBD took on who did clean up his act and perform.......until "pop went the mainspring"......

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I would be extremely disappointed if we didn't re-sign J Phillips. 

Who's left at the position? Star is a "space eater" and H. Phillips hasn't proven anything yet. We need help on the DLINE and are in no position to let a decent player get away. Just makes DT even MORE of a priority which means one less allocation of resources to the offense. Even if we keep Phillips, we still need a playmaker.

Seeing J Phillips blow up the Dolphins line at will just because he was an out of control maniac (getting flags and benched) was enough for me. He's a solid depth piece to keep around.. and he looks like he can turn on the jets any given game and take over an OL when his emotions are dialed in. I was a fan after that Dolphins game, not because of the flags, but simply seeing him get to the backfield at will 3 consecutive plays just because he hates his old team showed me at worst he's solid depth, at best he's stomping around the backfield looking for the carrier like Godzilla.

Could have had a phenomenal game at Dolphins and changed this whole conversation based on that if he wasn't being such a jackwagon lol.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Seeing J Phillips blow up the Dolphins line at will just because he was an out of control maniac (getting flags and benched) was enough for me. He's a solid depth piece to keep around.. and he looks like he can turn on the jets any given game and take over an OL when his emotions are dialed in. I was a fan after that Dolphins game, not because of the flags, but simply seeing him get to the backfield at will 3 consecutive plays just because he hates his old team showed me at worst he's solid depth, at best he's stomping around the backfield looking for the carrier like Godzilla.

Could have had a phenomenal game at Dolphins and changed this whole conversation based on that if he wasn't being such a jackwagon lol.

Jim Leyland had a great saying; you need a couple dirtbags on your team. Where better than defensive line to have a few dirtbags? 

Some of these dollar figures are nothing but speculation. If he's looking for anything more than 5 mil, probably need to pass. I don't see his stock being particularly high around the league. We shall see.

A lot of love on here for a guy who was rated the 108th dt in the league this year on pff. Say what you want about pff but 108th out of 113? This guy can easily be replaced I think and the Bills would be foolish to offer too much. Especially with fa and the draft both being pretty deep at the position.

What the Bills really need on the line is a 3tech who can disrupt the backfield from the interior. 

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Yeah, he will probably NEVER be more motivated than he was last season for the Bills. Maybe a “miracle maturation”, but buyer beware. 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yeah, he will probably NEVER be more motivated than he was last season for the Bills. Maybe a “miracle maturation”, but buyer beware. 

..uh oh Augie.....smellin' that same Miami "Richie Connection" later on?....Richie did perform for awhile.........then "there goes the wheels"............

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, blacklabel said:

If he thinks he's gonna get anywhere near that, he's nuts. He played only 26% of all defensive snaps last season. He might receive a nice deal for what he is - a rotational player. 

It was only 26% because he wasn't on the team for the first 4 games.   He played  about 35% of the Bills D snaps for the games Phillips was actually on the team.  

In the 12 games Phillips played compare to the first 4, The Bills gave up less yards / game 304 v 358, less points / game 22.3 v 26.5, and had a better winning %.   Yes I know there are many other factors.   But my point is the Bills were better off with him than whoever was in his place before.    

After losing Kyle, and with all the other holes the team needs to fill, I would like to see Phillips back on the team for 2019 and beyond.   He's 26 years old so should be in his prime.    I don't pretend to  know what the going rate is for a good but not great D tackle.    If the Bills paid in $5 million / year or even a bit more for  a few years I would rather that, than lose him.   Hard to say that Star is worth twice as much as Phillips. 

• Like (+1) 2

i sure hope they re sign him. 2 yrs. at 11 mil. 5 per plus 1 mil. bonus. i think that's fair for the team and for him as a 2 yr. deal will get him to play his butt off and possibly get a bigger payday soon.  that being said, i hope they grab sheldon richardson and inject him with whatever j. phillips is taking on a short term prove it deal. i really think he could be a great help on the inside.

i would like to see the bills take 2 edge guys in the draft. montez sweat and o. ximines,  late 1st (after trade down(s) and late 3rd or early 4th....i'm guessing.

this would give us 2 outstanding pass rushers to have lorax and hughes groom for the future.  if all this were to happen, i'd go bpa dt somewhere later in the draft.

we also can kick shaq inside with trent and lorax splitting time at end. i don't think we'll get a shot at oliver and i know this draft is dt heavy, but getting those 2 edge guys would set us up nicely for years to come.