Report: Bills working on extension for Jordan Phillips

YoloinOhio

12 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I offer two years,  2.25 million per.

You wont get him for that I believe.

11 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Just because he's a true "bad ass"...I would go 2yr-6mill.He 's a bit of loose cannon but don't we need that?I want that defense to be ugly..smashmouth..

I think you would have to go 8 to 10 on a 2 year deal. 4.5 garaunteed.  We run a rotation but he is legit starting material.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

3 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

You wont get him for that I believe.

I think you would have to go 8 to 10 on a 2 year deal. 4.5 garaunteed.

I think this is spot on. 

There really is no downside to "overpaying" when you are talking about such low cap hits.  He won't get more than two years, I think, anywhere else. For those numbers, its worth seeing if he turns into a real contributor.  

This would be a good pick up as long as he doesn't think he's worth more than what he is which is normally the case .

This off season there are plenty to choose from in FA at the same position that are much better than he is at this point of his career the only thing is they will cost much more money so if they can get him at a reasonable contract then draft a rookie that would be their best plan for the future .

Which Bean probably already has that figured out ...

10 minutes ago, H2o said:

Since we paid Star $10,000,000 per last offseason I think it is foolish to believe Phillips remains with us for anything much less comparable. 

I think this is what the hold up is. If Beane can convince him of a 2 yr show us deal at around 10 mil it would be good . He should be assured that he is young and if he proves himself he'll get good money either here or on the open market. Star got the contract he got because he is like a hairball in the shower drain and he's been good at it a long time. Phillips needs to continue his improvement.

15 minutes ago, H2o said:

Since we paid Star $10,000,000 per last offseason I think it is foolish to believe Phillips remains with us for anything much less comparable. 

If he thinks he's gonna get anywhere near that, he's nuts. He played only 26% of all defensive snaps last season. He might receive a nice deal for what he is - a rotational player. 

18 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

If he thinks he's gonna get anywhere near that, he's nuts. He played only 26% of all defensive snaps last season. He might receive a nice deal for what he is - a rotational player. 

We paid 10 mill per to a guy who had lost his starting position in Carolina and had a decline in production the previous 2 years before that. If you think Phillips is going to return to this team for anything much less comparable then you are sadly mistaken. Especially when the guy knows he is going to be leaned on more heavily because of Kyle's retirement. We created our own problem here by giving Star that contract. 

• Like (+1) 1

Making too much of a deal out of a rotational guy who shouldn't be paid more than 2 million dollars a year.  He is a average to slightly above average player, who just happened to get cut from the team that drafted him.  

The delay is the Bills offering him what he is worth, and he and his agent waiting to see if they get more in the open market.  It's a good Defensive Tackle class, and the Bills should be playing this slow.  No need to rush over Jordan Phillips.  He is fun to watch, but having him or not having him wont make much of a difference overall.

I'd keep him if possible - seems like a solid addition to the rotation.  We'll still need a major snaps guy at 3-tech, but he at least provides some solid depth.  He batted a few passes down IIRC, which is a huge benefit.  If Lawson continues to roll inside on pass rushing downs, it'd be nice to also add another pass rusher.  Murphy had some injury issues, but theoretically he could bounce back.

Also looking at depth backers in free agency.  Thompsons play was very uninspiring, and Stanford was barely a JAG.

29 minutes ago, H2o said:

We paid 10 mill per to a guy who had lost his starting position in Carolina and had a decline in production the previous 2 years before that. If you think Phillips is going to return to this team for anything much less comparable then you are sadly mistaken. Especially when the guy knows he is going to be leaned on more heavily because of Kyle's retirement. We created our own problem here by giving Star that contract. 

Hahah, ok. There is no team out there that is going to give a guy $10 million a year to play a quarter of the defensive snaps. Lotulelei is being paid for more than just his on-field work. He's here to be a leader and a role model for a young team. He's a selfless, team-first guy and isn't concerned about showing up on the stat sheet each week. He has a specific role and they assign him specific tasks where he's not always the one making the tackle or getting the sack but he's doing what he's supposed to be doing and helping this defense run the way it's supposed to run. And I can't see any "problems" created by signing Lotulelei. They've cleared all the dead cap, they have plenty of money to throw around right now. Star's contract is not negatively impacting what they do whatsoever. Seems like you're trying to create problems that aren't there.

24 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Hahah, ok. There is no team out there that is going to give a guy $10 million a year to play a quarter of the defensive snaps. Lotulelei is being paid for more than just his on-field work. He's here to be a leader and a role model for a young team. He's a selfless, team-first guy and isn't concerned about showing up on the stat sheet each week. He has a specific role and they assign him specific tasks where he's not always the one making the tackle or getting the sack but he's doing what he's supposed to be doing and helping this defense run the way it's supposed to run. And I can't see any "problems" created by signing Lotulelei. They've cleared all the dead cap, they have plenty of money to throw around right now. Star's contract is not negatively impacting what they do whatsoever. Seems like you're trying to create problems that aren't there.

I'm not saying another team is going to give him $10,000,000 per. I am saying that we dug the hole for ourselves when we gave Star $10,000,000 per. You can throw out all of the niceties and rah-rah about Star you want, but I would bet money Star's contract is the basis of Phillips' demands. Unless we offer him something comparable he will not be back in a Bills uni. 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Absolutely ridiculous to pay a marginal rotational player this kind of cash. You guys are desperate.

Just now, ndirish1978 said:

Absolutely ridiculous to pay a marginal rotational player this kind of cash. You guys are desperate.

I wouldn't give him that. I'm just saying I think that is the hold up with him signing here. I think his agent is saying if you see Star as being worth $10,000,000 per season then my client is worth more than you're offering. I think he signs elsewhere in FA. 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Well then we sign someone else.  You ever hear of supply and demand.  The draft and FA is full of quality DTs.

6 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Well then we sign someone else.  You ever hear of supply and demand.  The draft and FA is full of quality DTs.

Exactly, and that's what I believe we will do tbh.