Report: Bills working on extension for Jordan Phillips

YoloinOhio

12 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’m all for it.  Especially with the loss of Kyle, we still need one more guy to go with Star and the 2 Phillips kids.  I can see him costing us a game or two with his over excitement penalties but that’s fine with me.  I like the guy a lot

Uh, no..... It's not fine. Ask the Steelers or Vikings if they could have a game or two back. I don't expect his over exuberance to be an issue. It was over Miami's use of him and he'll be somewhere now that will use him often and where fans appreciate his efforts. 

35 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

So according to pro football reference, Harrison played 38% of the defensive snaps. That is not almost no reps dude. Star, a starter and big FA acquisition played just 47% of the snaps. Defensive lineman here are rotational players. Harrison had ample opportunity and did nothing. Pencilling him in as some kind of impact player is a massive mistake. Signing a depth player like Jordan Phillips is not the answer. If DT is BPA, it will 100% be the pick. 3 tech is a huge need on this team. 

Been saying the exact same thing. Would love Oliver or even Dexter Lawrence if we go DT.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

So according to pro football reference, Harrison played 38% of the defensive snaps. That is not almost no reps dude. Star, a starter and big FA acquisition played just 47% of the snaps. Defensive lineman here are rotational players. Harrison had ample opportunity and did nothing. Pencilling him in as some kind of impact player is a massive mistake. Signing a depth player like Jordan Phillips is not the answer. If DT is BPA, it will 100% be the pick. 3 tech is a huge need on this team. 

I just think we have far larger needs in round 1 than DT.

I'd be shocked if we don't go Defense at Pick 9.   If I had to guess, we go multiple OL in FA and a #2 WR and/or TE. 

BPA at 9 will almost surely be a DT/LB/DB so I'd have no issue with an Ed Oliver, Dexter Lawrence, Greedy Williams or Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Uh, no..... It's not fine. Ask the Steelers or Vikings if they could have a game or two back. I don't expect his over exuberance to be an issue. It was over Miami's use of him and he'll be somewhere now that will use him often and where fans appreciate his efforts. 

If the Steelers or Vikings season ended because of a personal foul they’re better off with the better draft pick.  They aren’t that goodz

I get why it’s not ok to lose a game because of one player making a stupid mistake..... I just think he can help us win more than 1 game.  His excitement is infectious and players feed of off that.  He’s a really talented player that is still very young.  He wasn’t an UDFA, he was a second rd pick.  

High energy 6’6” 340 lb player. I’m interested haha. I think fits perfectly here. He’s great for a rotation. Gets proper rest during the game so he can stay effective and bring that high energy on more plays. Other guys feed off of guys who bring that little bit of extra to the game. 

• 1 month later...

In Buffalo, Phillips clogged rushing lanes and stepped into passing lanes to knock down the ball. He had just one sack in 2018, and that was in the first part of the season while he was with the Dolphins. He averages around 20 tackles a year.

Phillips played 26% of Buffalo’s defensive snaps in 2018, a number that jumps above one-third if you only include games he was on the roster. It was 38% for Miami in 2017, 54% in 2016, and 37% in his rookie year.

So is he a starter or a rotational piece? Does his motivation concern you moving forward or are you ready to commit to him? What’s his role on the team?

Sure, he fires up the crowd, but Buffalo already has a highly-paid space eater in Star Lotulelei and a young up-and-comer in Harrison Phillips that can do that, too. What they need is a penetrating defensive tackle to take the place of Kyle Williamsand complement Lotulelei and Phillips. I don’t know if Phillips does that enough for me to commit big money.

If you look at all the free agent defensive tackle contracts signed in 2018, the majority were for a single year. Only Lotulelei, Dontari Poe, and Xavier Williams signed multi-year deals a year ago.

Factor in a strong class of potential free agents and a strong class of players available in the 2019 NFL Draft, and the Bills are in a strong negotiating position. All of that is to say, I’m offering him a one-year deal to see what he can do in training camp knowing I can get another that can do that cheaply. That’s not a deal Phillips is going to sign before he hits the open market.

Last year, Johnathan Hankins had to wait until after Week 1 to sign his $2.1 million deal. He made his way into the starting line up and is a big free agent prospect in 2019 after playing well in Oakland. Phillips will need to follow a similar path and wait it out to sign a bigger deal.

My offer:

One year, $1.8 million
$350,000 signing bonus
$350,000 guaranteed

On 1/3/2019 at 10:54 AM, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I put him at 3 years $18M, which is certainly above market. We have the cash and I built in an out after year 1 if he doesn't perform up to the contract.

On 1/3/2019 at 1:07 PM, MAJBobby said:

4 years 28M with 16 guaranteed 7M AVV is perfect. 

This is ridiculous money for this guy. Anything more than 3M a year is a waste.

Good.

I hope they get it.

He is literally the ONLY significant contributor on our D this past year who is a UFA.

Maintaining our D this coming year would be huge. I think our O takes steps forward... big steps. If our D is still as good, we're golden.

But gotta start working on extending Hughes relatively quickly, too. We can't let him walk.