Report: Bills working on extension for Jordan Phillips

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’m all for it.  Especially with the loss of Kyle, we still need one more guy to go with Star and the 2 Phillips kids.  I can see him costing us a game or two with his over excitement penalties but that’s fine with me.  I like the guy a lot

I am never fine with a player costing us a game or 2 especially if he is not winning me at least 4 by himself

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jwhit34 said:

Not true - go to Spotrac and check out how teams allocate $ to DL. Invariably, the top 4 get almost all the money, and player #4 is around $2-3 million. All the rest, the rotational players, are almost always under $1 million, a few in the $1-2 million range. There are a few exceptions but if you click on the teams spending $25-32 million on DL you will find this distribution to be the norm. 

The Bills best 4 players on DL returning in '19 are Hughes, Murphy, Lawson and Star L. The two Phillips are next and will be in the $1-2 million slots. Jordan Phillips is not worth $3-4 million and they will not spend that much, nor will they have to on a guy who was waived this year. 

Start spending that kind of cash on backups and the Bills will end up back in cap jail in 3 years. The Bills can take a firm stance on this guy he is not getting a sniff in first free agency wave he is the prototypical 2nd or 3rd wave that has to settle for modest money. 

I would argue Murphy has not been better than J Phillips, and Lawson and H Phillips are on rookie deals. J Phillips will get paid more than 1-2 mil bank on it

57 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Anyone else concerned that Harry might not have the juice? Not the end of the world to miss on a 3rd round pick, but I didn't see much of anything from him all season.

Definitely in favor of re-signing J Phillips.

I am a bit concerned with Harry, but think he is the type of player who will keep working to get better. I like the kid, and have my fingers crossed that he takes a step forward next year having a season under his belt.

13 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I am a bit concerned with Harry, but think he is the type of player who will keep working to get better. I like the kid, and have my fingers crossed that he takes a step forward next year having a season under his belt.

I agree. Harry Phillips looked small and overmatched. There was no quick twitch. I think he's a backup but I hope he proves me wrong. Even if Phillips resigns this is still a huge need. 

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Good . Just like i said they should.  Once he signs no chance we go DT in round 1.  

Phillips,  Star, Harry with Lawson occasionally on passing downs makes DT not a draft target in round 1 

Harrison Phillips did next to nothing and Jordan is a nice rotational player. There is a glaring need at the 3 technique. There really isn't one on the roster. It's very likely we go DT in round one. The other option is to go after Sheldon Richardson or Grady Jarrett in free agency. 

Wise choice !

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

i dont know about 3 technique, more like 1

4 hours ago, jrober38 said:

No brainer.

He's young, and adds toughness and size to our interior line rotation.

We just need a 3-technique who can rush the passer now, although Shaq Lawson showed last week kicking him inside on passing downs could be an option. 

Harry

4 hours ago, wppete said:

Great story. I remember after the fight against Jacksonville him running all over the place interacting with the crowd, and I'm like who is this dude? He was in the endzone with his helmet off yelling at people to get up and get loud.

Then I saw his comments before and after the Miami game. I'm a fan. Love his attitude, I hope he's around here for awhile and can grow into a role. 

He's negotiating contracts while that ass who cut him is looking for a job. He has been vindicated, I'm happy for him.

46 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Harrison Phillips did next to nothing and Jordan is a nice rotational player. There is a glaring need at the 3 technique. There really isn't one on the roster. It's very likely we go DT in round one. The other option is to go after Sheldon Richardson or Grady Jarrett in free agency. 

So a rookie with almost no reps didn't do much this year. Colour me as suprised .  If we sign Phillips  no chance we go DT in rouND 1. 

4 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

He outplayed Harry the Horrible. Probably at a price comparable to a 3rd rd pick. Therefore, excellent opportunity to lock him up for a few years

Would be a solid, judicial signing?

Jordan has been in the league for 4 years, Harry is just a rookie.

I would hope that he would outplay him.

2 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

I am never fine with a player costing us a game or 2 especially if he is not winning me at least 4 by himself

Jerry Hughes cost us a couple games.  I’m ok with him.  Apparently you aren’t 

3 hours ago, DJB said:

Good . Just like i said they should.  Once he signs no chance we go DT in round 1.  

Phillips,  Star, Harry with Lawson occasionally on passing downs makes DT not a draft target in round 1 

I don’t believe a rotational lineman keeps OBD from drafting a potential starting  defensive lineman in round 1.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, WideNine said:

FWIW his stats are almost as good as KW's rookie season and better than JP's rookie season.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillKy20.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PhilJo01.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PhilHa00.htm

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Nervous Guy said:

Word. Great post TEEB!

• Haha (+1) 1

I can see why they are doing this. I am not a big Jordan Phillips fan (he misses far too many routine plays for me) but with Kyle gone he is the only penetrating defensive tackle on the roster. Harrison Phillips and Star Lotulelei are run stuffers with basically no pass rush (and for all those knocking Harrison as "not having done much" this year..... he has been our most consistent interior run defender). So you kind of have to try and keep Jordan Phillips and then improve there somehow in the draft. But just be aware every time you trot Jordan Phillips out there is as much chance he majorly whiffs as there is he makes a play. He is a boom or bust defensive lineman.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

Not true - go to Spotrac and check out how teams allocate $ to DL. Invariably, the top 4 get almost all the money, and player #4 is around $2-3 million. All the rest, the rotational players, are almost always under $1 million, a few in the $1-2 million range. There are a few exceptions but if you click on the teams spending $25-32 million on DL you will find this distribution to be the norm. 

The Bills best 4 players on DL returning in '19 are Hughes, Murphy, Lawson and Star L. The two Phillips are next and will be in the $1-2 million slots. Jordan Phillips is not worth $3-4 million and they will not spend that much, nor will they have to on a guy who was waived this year. 

Start spending that kind of cash on backups and the Bills will end up back in cap jail in 3 years. The Bills can take a firm stance on this guy he is not getting a sniff in first free agency wave he is the prototypical 2nd or 3rd wave that has to settle for modest money. 

Unless Shaq is starting at DT, your analysis is flawed here. "Top 4 guys" =/= starting 4 guys. One member of the Phillips and Phillips Law Firm is going to have to be the starter next to Star. One of Murphy and Lawson will be the rotational sub at DE. You should not expect to pay a starting DT $2 mil or less.

Some of your other points are valid, such as him being a second or third wave guy, etc. But it's just a typical Bills fan attitude otherwise. As a group, it seems we see a "big number" and the reaction of many us to say "whoa, he's good but not X dollars good," and this happens more often than not.

Edited by JM57

8 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

According to Spotrac, the DTs making $3-$4M AAV that aren't on rookie contracts are:

Akeem Spence

Haloti Ngata

Steve McClendon

Domata Peko

lawrence Guy

Abry Jones

Corey Peters

Bennie Logan

Earl Mitchell 

Rotational guys. All of them. 

Now, if you don't think Phillips is worth as much as those guys, that's fine, but that's what a rotational DT that plays 30+ snaps per game costs.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DJB said:

So a rookie with almost no reps didn't do much this year. Colour me as suprised .  If we sign Phillips  no chance we go DT in rouND 1. 

So according to pro football reference, Harrison played 38% of the defensive snaps. That is not almost no reps dude. Star, a starter and big FA acquisition played just 47% of the snaps. Defensive lineman here are rotational players. Harrison had ample opportunity and did nothing. Pencilling him in as some kind of impact player is a massive mistake. Signing a depth player like Jordan Phillips is not the answer. If DT is BPA, it will 100% be the pick. 3 tech is a huge need on this team. 

• Like (+1) 3