Report: Bills working on extension for Jordan Phillips

YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, hmsmystic said:

He made a nice impression as a rotation player, plus he seems to bring a lot of energy and enthusiasm.  Between him, Harrison and Star, it's a nice 3 way DT rotation and we wouldn't need to use the 1st rounder for it

If the BPA at 9 is a DT Beane will scoop him up, just as he should.  That 3 way rotation is okay.  But if you can add a potential all pro talent they would not be wrong to do it.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, purple haze said:

If the BPA at 9 is a DT Beane will scoop him up, just as he should.  That 3 way rotation is okay.  But if you can add a potential all pro talent they would not be wrong to do it.

Agreed and it's a good draft for DT.  I just like the idea of not being forced to take this spot

21 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yup.  Sue me.  I like the kid.  A game a two over the course of his 2 year contract.  1 game in two, years, so be it.  I doubt it would be the reason we lose a championship.

I would be if that loss kept us out of the playoffs or eliminated us from them.

The divisional games with the Jets and Dolphins are like me and my brother growing up...Whoever is more pissed is the one that gets the upper hand. We need guys like Phillips to play with a professional level of nasty.....Just to smack a guy in the mouth (not literally) when needed to keep order on the field.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I’m all for it.  Especially with the loss of Kyle, we still need one more guy to go with Star and the 2 Phillips kids.  I can see him costing us a game or two with his over excitement penalties but that’s fine with me.  I like the guy a lot

Out of the frying pan....

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Yup.  Sue me.  I like the kid.  A game a two over the course of his 2 year contract.  1 game in two, years, so be it.  I doubt it would be the reason we lose a championship.

....and into the fire.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Good. 

I'd try to make it a 2-year deal if I could. Give him a decent bump to $3.5-$4M per and allow him the ability to hit the market again before he's 30.

He is not getting anything close to $3.5-4 million a year. His rookie contract averaged just over $1 million/year and this year he was waived.

He's a nice rotational player and I am glad the Bills are trying to re-sign him, but he's a $2 million/year player at the most, I could see a 2 year, $3.5 million deal that is $1 million per year in salary and a $1.5 million signing bonus, or 3 year, $5.5 million with salaries of $1M, $1.25M & $1.25M with a $2 million signing bonus. 

Let's not get carried away, decent player, good rotational guy good for 30-40 snaps a game. 

2 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

He is not getting anything close to $3.5-4 million a year. His rookie contract averaged just over $1 million/year and this year he was waived.

He's a nice rotational player and I am glad the Bills are trying to re-sign him, but he's a $2 million/year player at the most, I could see a 2 year, $3.5 million deal that is $1 million per year in salary and a $1.5 million signing bonus, or 3 year, $5.5 million with salaries of $1M, $1.25M & $1.25M with a $2 million signing bonus. 

Let's not get carried away, decent player, good rotational guy good for 30-40 snaps a game. 

$3-$4M is rotational guy money. DaQuan Jones type money.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, wppete said:

A quote from Phillips after cleaning out his locker....

“Buffalo’s great. I love the atmosphere,” Phillips said. “Wherever I wind up, I won’t go anywhere with a bad fan base. The fan base is a big part of my game, and I haven’t seen anything better than the Bills Mafia.”

Sign him for 2 years obd....

11 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

$3-$4M is rotational guy money. DaQuan Jones type money.

Not true - go to Spotrac and check out how teams allocate $ to DL. Invariably, the top 4 get almost all the money, and player #4 is around $2-3 million. All the rest, the rotational players, are almost always under $1 million, a few in the $1-2 million range. There are a few exceptions but if you click on the teams spending $25-32 million on DL you will find this distribution to be the norm. 

The Bills best 4 players on DL returning in '19 are Hughes, Murphy, Lawson and Star L. The two Phillips are next and will be in the $1-2 million slots. Jordan Phillips is not worth $3-4 million and they will not spend that much, nor will they have to on a guy who was waived this year. 

Start spending that kind of cash on backups and the Bills will end up back in cap jail in 3 years. The Bills can take a firm stance on this guy he is not getting a sniff in first free agency wave he is the prototypical 2nd or 3rd wave that has to settle for modest money. 

Good . Just like i said they should.  Once he signs no chance we go DT in round 1.  

Phillips,  Star, Harry with Lawson occasionally on passing downs makes DT not a draft target in round 1