CFP title game ticket prices plummeting

YoloinOhio

20 hours ago, Bfanlc said:

Not Alabama's fault. You've had multiple teams have quality recruiting classes. It's the coaching that hasn't got them over the hump. Bama will dominate until Saban retires. Then some other coach or program, maybe Clemson,  will take its place. Maybe not to this extent but it will happen. Programs have to update themselves. Let's not keep trying to change cfb because ND,Ga,ok, and Michigan cant get over the hump.

I'll enjoy watching heads explode when Saban retires and Dabo jumps ship to take the 'Bama job.

54 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

I'll enjoy watching heads explode when Saban retires and Dabo jumps ship to take the 'Bama job.

Bama survived the Clown Prince Lane Kiffin, they can survive this

i do recall Bama losing to Northern Illinois in front of a very unenthusiastic home crowd years ago, oh please, god of football... bring this back.

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Bama survived the Clown Prince Lane Kiffin, they can survive this

Best moment of Kiffins time in Tuscaloosa:

"There's no arguments. Those are called ass chewings."

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i do recall Bama losing to Northern Illinois in front of a very unenthusiastic home crowd years ago, oh please, god of football... bring this back.

Those were the dark days indeed. Shula's first year.

It will be a long, long time before that happens again.

12 minutes ago, Cynical said:

Best moment of Kiffins time in Tuscaloosa:

"There's no arguments. Those are called ass chewings."

Those were the dark days indeed. Shula's first year.

It will be a long, long time before that happens again.

you never know, I was a road tripper to Ann Arbor in the final days of about 40 years of taking for granted a 3 loss season at most, hit hard in the Rich_Rod era  :(

13 minutes ago, row_33 said:

you never know, I was a road tripper to Ann Arbor in the final days of about 40 years of taking for granted a 3 loss season at most, hit hard in the Rich_Rod era  :(

Oh, I am under no illusion that Alabama will never lose more than 2-3 games a year.

I was more referring to the Franchione-Price-Shula time period, and what caused it, which lead to such disastrous games.

And I feel I can speak for the entire Bama nation when I say we are so grateful Rita did not like Tuscaloosa.

Saw this coming a few years ago.  The problem is you just had huge amounts of Bama and Clemson fans travel to the Orange and Cotton Bowls.  So now you're asking the fanbases to travel way out to San Jose on short notice.  Fans that have already probably spent thousands over the past few years following these teams advance to Bowls and the NCG.  Not gonna happen and as others have said, the local population and alums of these school can't fill up a whole stadium.  Obviously this probably would be fine if the game were in Atlanta or Charlotte since people could drive in the day of the game...but out west no way. 

If the playoffs expand they will have to host games on the campus of the higher seed or keep the games regional until the title game.  

Edited by zow2
  • Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Saw this coming a few years ago.  The problem is you just had huge amounts of Bama and Clemson fans travel to the Orange and Cotton Bowls.  So now you're asking the fanbases to travel way out to San Jose on short notice.  Fans that have already probably spent thousands over the past few years following these teams advance to Bowls and the NCG.  Not gonna happen and as others have said, the local population and alums of these school can't fill up a whole stadium.  Obviously this probably would be fine if the game were in Atlanta or Charlotte since people could drive in the day of the game...but out west no way. 

If the playoffs expand they will have to host games on the campus of the higher seed or keep the games regional until the title game.  

and it's the week AFTER everyone schedules time off from work, which is huge for Bowl planning a month in advance.

The ad hoc nature of a playoff at a remote site damages travel opportunities (DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH)

When they go to 16 then they will ask Bama fans to make two more road trips????

Whatever.... sigh....

• Like (+1) 2

Maybe college football just wasn’t meant to have a playoff to “finally decide” things

The mystery and somewhat fun arguments with prior formats was more enjoyable than what this has turned into, and they told us this would happen....

On 1/3/2019 at 10:06 AM, Cynical said:

Did you read the Yahoo article?

"Levi’s Stadium happens to sit on the other side of the country from the participating clubs."

So all the fans of the teams that would be interested in attending suddenly find themselves with expenses in the thousands.

"Travel costs just to get to San Jose are considerable – $1,000 flights are the minimum from the Southeast."

Now throw in hotel, dining, and costs just to get around the Bay area, the option of staying home and watching the game on TV becomes the more viable choice.

This is exactly why we are home this year. After South Beach a week and a half ago, Christmas two weeks ago, its just too much. Not to mention, excluding last year (New Orleans and Atlanta), Bama and Clemson have both had significant travel expenses for the playoffs every year since they started. Just not doable for everyone, every year.

On 1/4/2019 at 10:24 AM, zow2 said:

Yep. If by chance Bama and Clemson make it next year, ticket prices will be crazy. Game is in New Orleans. 6 hour drive at most from almost the entire state of Alabama. Demand will be huge because it is logistically so much easier. The problem this year is simply location, location, location...

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/2/2019 at 9:22 PM, row_33 said:

The 4 vs 5 would be good

the 1 vs 8 and 2 vs 7 would be 

garrrr-bahhhhhge-time after 18 minutes 

The fundamental problem is that it is hard to come up with 8 or even 6 college teams in any given year who are all playing on the same level.

I've said it for years, but even among top, elite college programs, there can be HUGE differences in talent on the field in the same game.

The National Championship game from a few years ago with 'Bama vs. #2 (at the time) Notre Dame immediately comes to mind.

The Manti Te'o team....

It was #1 vs. #2 but the two teams were not in the same world talent wise.

Alabama was bigger, faster, stronger all over the field on both sides of the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The fundamental problem is that it is hard to come up with 8 or even 6 college teams in any given year who are all playing on the same level.

I've said it for years, but even among top, elite college programs, there can be HUGE differences in talent on the field in the same game.

The National Championship game from a few years ago with 'Bama vs. #2 (at the time) Notre Dame immediately comes to mind.

The Manti Te'o team....

It was #1 vs. #2 but the two teams were not in the same world talent wise.

Alabama was bigger, faster, stronger all over the field on both sides of the ball.

yup.

the top team (maybe 2) is easily discerned by anyone with an objective clue who watches the sport...

Notre Dame's 1988 [clearly the best that season] "title game" was against an outmatched undefeated West Virginia

teams past #3 (at the lowest) just can't compete with the best team or two in the country, almost every year...

they shouldn't field games that aren't necessary that aren't going to be remotely competitive, the metrics of staging a huge football game ad hoc and on a neutral field (maybe thousands of miles away) are immense.

and $500 Canadian total for nosebleeds on "that site" are about what I'd expect to pay

Edited by row_33

19 hours ago, row_33 said:

Maybe college football just wasn’t meant to have a playoff to “finally decide” things

The mystery and somewhat fun arguments with prior formats was more enjoyable than what this has turned into, and they told us this would happen....

Who told you what would happen? Why are you so miserable?

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Mmm-hmmmmm

Big brave man after the game is over.

you need a long long nap....

Big brave about what? You're complaining about the playoffs in a thread where ticket prices are down. 

I didn't really care who won. I just dont see the harm in more football, and the fact that the demand isnt their to pay $500 a ticket isn't a problem to me. It's how it should be.

I've read through the thread, and you just come across as miserable and I'm not quite sure why.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.