CFP title game ticket prices plummeting

YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

" Things are so rough, even normally staid power brokers are lobbying for an eight-team playoff to shake things up."

Oh, yeah, that's the answer. 8 teams, because a 4 team playoff has been absolutely flawless, and is just screaming to add more teams.

It's like watching someone bashing their head against a wall while complaining their head hurts.

So they keep bashing their head against the wall hoping the pain will go away.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Cynical said:

" Things are so rough, even normally staid power brokers are lobbying for an eight-team playoff to shake things up."

Oh, yeah, that's the answer. 8 teams, because a 4 team playoff has been absolutely flawless, and is just screaming to add more teams.

It's like watching someone bashing their head against a wall while complaining their head hurts.

So they keep bashing their head against the wall hoping the pain will go away.

The 4 vs 5 would be good

the 1 vs 8 and 2 vs 7 would be 

garrrr-bahhhhhge-time after 18 minutes 

12 hours ago, Bfanlc said:

They can't sell out 1 vs 2 but think 1 vs 8 is a good idea. 

The issue is the location not the playoff system.

1 vs 8

Bama 220 Cumberland 0

whooooooooooooo.... more please, Sir.....................

-----------------------------------

actually..... one of my complaints with sports is that you don't often get to see the best teams 100% pour on what they are capable of doing in a game

Bama showed that they could run up 28 points without breaking a sweat, then sat back the rest of the game

19 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Why?

Did you read the Yahoo article?

"Levi’s Stadium happens to sit on the other side of the country from the participating clubs."

So all the fans of the teams that would be interested in attending suddenly find themselves with expenses in the thousands.

"Travel costs just to get to San Jose are considerable – $1,000 flights are the minimum from the Southeast."

Now throw in hotel, dining, and costs just to get around the Bay area, the option of staying home and watching the game on TV becomes the more viable choice.

Edited by Cynical
  • Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Bfanlc said:

They can't sell out 1 vs 2 but think 1 vs 8 is a good idea. 

The issue is the location not the playoff system.

No, the issue is that there are 2 or 3 teams that whip the living daylights out of every other program.  Alabama's dominance over college football isn't good for the game.

4 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

No, the issue is that there are 2 or 3 teams that whip the living daylights out of every other program.  Alabama's dominance over college football isn't good for the game.

Yet, I do not remember people pissing and moaning when FSU was dominating CFB.

Bobby Bowden had FSU in the top 5 every year for 14 straight years.

They won 2 NC with out a playoff.

It's hard to imagine how many NC they would have won if there was playoff at the time.

3 minutes ago, Cynical said:

Yet, I do not remember people pissing and moaning when FSU was dominating CFB.

Bobby Bowden had FSU in the top 5 every year for 14 straight years.

They won 2 NC with out a playoff.

It's hard to imagine how many NC they would have won if there was playoff at the time.

I have no horse in this race, I only watch college football games a handful of times each year.  I went to a D-III school that had D-I mens hockey, that's it.

The main thing preventing me from watching more college football is the lack of parity between the top programs and everybody else.  That's largely driven by recruiting and the cult of personality surrounding a small handful of coaches.  Saban, Meyer, Swinney, etc.  Bowden was certainly one of these guys in the 90s.  Since there is no draft (because, of course, these players are picking the school for academic reasons, not the football team...), the top flight players flock to these programs.  They are stocked with talent that makes any other team pale in comparison.  Add that to the out-of-conference cupcake games that these teams inevitably schedule and you get maybe 1 or 2 competitive games on any of these top teams' schedules before the bowl season.

These coaches end up being the highest paid public employee in their state, and this inevitably leads to a culture where this guy has a ridiculous amount of power and sway over their university.  Unfortunately, look no further than State College to see how that can corrupt a university, going all the way to the top.

I mean, outside of Alabama and Clemson fans, who actually wants to go see this game for the fourth consecutive year?

46 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

Not Alabama's fault. You've had multiple teams have quality recruiting classes. It's the coaching that hasn't got them over the hump. Bama will dominate until Saban retires. Then some other coach or program, maybe Clemson,  will take its place. Maybe not to this extent but it will happen. Programs have to update themselves. Let's not keep trying to change cfb because ND,Ga,ok, and Michigan cant get over the hump.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

I mean, outside of Alabama and Clemson fans, who actually wants to go see this game for the fourth consecutive year?

There are lots of times in life when fans cannot have their way, no? I mean this is a Bills Board after all last I looked. Fans don't get to choose who plays in championship games.

Why don't we all insist that Brady and Belichick quit because they win too much. Then, we can take a vote and determine who goes to the Super Bowl.

Nah, my suggestion is that the other teams get better players and coaches and win football games.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sullim4 said:

I have no horse in this race, I only watch college football games a handful of times each year.  I went to a D-III school that had D-I mens hockey, that's it.

The main thing preventing me from watching more college football is the lack of parity between the top programs and everybody else.  That's largely driven by recruiting and the cult of personality surrounding a small handful of coaches.  Saban, Meyer, Swinney, etc.  Bowden was certainly one of these guys in the 90s.  Since there is no draft (because, of course, these players are picking the school for academic reasons, not the football team...), the top flight players flock to these programs.  They are stocked with talent that makes any other team pale in comparison.  Add that to the out-of-conference cupcake games that these teams inevitably schedule and you get maybe 1 or 2 competitive games on any of these top teams' schedules before the bowl season.

These coaches end up being the highest paid public employee in their state, and this inevitably leads to a culture where this guy has a ridiculous amount of power and sway over their university.  Unfortunately, look no further than State College to see how that can corrupt a university, going all the way to the top.

I’m a fan of any great football game that is tightly contested. So I hope this one is.  I think my apathy is more that i just don’t care who wins, so the outcome is less interesting to me.

Edited by YoloinOhio

18 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Santa Clara is a terrible place for the game anyway

Sadly, I have to agree with this.

Believe me, I'm thrilled that the National Title game is being played here, and Levi's Stadium is just as good as any other place to play it.

The problem is that the Bay Area is one of the worst places for College Football. There is no tradition here, and there is no hype for the game itself. California & Stanford have their following, but it's more of a student thing and that's not enough.

There are a lot of transplants from many universities who have their own football clubs in this area, but not enough to fill an entire stadium.

Too bad, because this is such a good area

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Sadly, I have to agree with this.

Believe me, I'm thrilled that the National Title game is being played here, and Levi's Stadium is just as good as any other place to play it.

The problem is that the Bay Area is one of the worst places for College Football. There is no tradition here, and there is no hype for the game itself. California & Stanford have their following, but it's more of a student thing and that's not enough.

There are a lot of transplants from many universities who have their own football clubs in this area, but not enough to fill an entire stadium.

Too bad, because this is such a good area

Super expensive too. Plane tickets from Birmingham to San Jose right now show as 835 at the lowest. From Greenville SC they are 2k/pop! Then you factor in everything else. And as you said these aren’t really huge national fan bases where there are a volume of fans locally wherever you go. There aren’t a ton of passionate Bama  and Clemson fans living in that area, I’m sure. Clemson is a small school and these schools are largely regional in their interest.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Super expensive too. Plane tickets from Birmingham to San Jose right now show as 835 at the lowest. From Greenville SC they are 2k/pop! Then you factor in everything else. And as you said these aren’t really huge national fan bases where there are a volume of fans locally wherever you go. There aren’t a ton of passionate Bama  and Clemson fans living in that area, I’m sure. Clemson is a small school and these schools are largely regional in their interest.

Yes, it is very expensive here. It would be cheaper to fly into San Francisco, but then you would have to travel 40 miles by car to get to Santa Clara/San Jose. Then there's hotels and food that you have to look forward too.

Pro sports is a lot bigger here than college is, and that's unfortunate. Even if a team like Notre Dame was playing in the championship game, it still would have a tough time selling out.

Notre Dame plays Stanford all the time, and whenever the Irish come to play in Palo Alto, nobody really cares. There's no hype at all.

It's really sad. I was born in the wrong part of the country for this stuff.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.