Bills fire WR Coach Terry Robiskie

Reed83HOF

On 1/2/2019 at 4:47 PM, wppete said:

Yeah I agree. Castillo and Robiski weren’t Dabols guys and honestly this is a different NFL, both of them are older we need some young guys in here that are Dabols guys.

You may be correct, but Robieski was hired after Daboll; do we know of a connection between McDermott and Robieski or some other reason why we think he's a Sean hire?  The McDermott-Castillo connection is clear and well publicized

Edit: I did find a connection between Daboll and Robieski.  Daboll was OC of the Cleveland Browns when the Browns drafted...wait for it...Brian Robieski in the 2nd round.  Brian Robieski is Terry Robieski's son.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

This seems kind of harsh; there is only so much you can do with the WR talent on this team.

4 hours ago, Rubes said:

One could have said the same thing about the O-line...

There's talent and then there's knowledge and execution.  Even a bottom-tier physical talent who can't separate on a route from a top-tier DB, or jump 31" into the air to snag a too-high throw should be able to know what his role is on each play call, line up in the correct spot, and run a crisp route.

Maybe Castillo and Robieskie are just fall guys for the poor talent Beane gave them to work with

Or maybe, to the guys who know what the play calls and assignments were, there were too many gaps where the guys didn't seem to Know Their Job.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's talent and then there's knowledge and execution.  Even a bottom-tier physical talent who can't separate on a route from a top-tier DB, or jump 31" into the air to snag a too-high throw should be able to know what his role is on each play call, line up in the correct spot, and run a crisp route.

Maybe Castillo and Robieskie are just fall guys for the poor talent Beane gave them to work with

Or maybe, to the guys who know what the play calls and assignments were, there were too many gaps where the guys didn't seem to Know Their Job.

I know we've both commented on how our WRs often tried to catch balls with their bodies instead of their hands.  I consider this a coaching issue.  Would you agree?

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I know we've both commented on how our WRs often tried to catch balls with their bodies instead of their hands.  I consider this a coaching issue.  Would you agree?

It certainly seems like something one would try to address with coaching; I guess I'm uncertain if it's the sort of physical skill that's hard to change and tends to revert in the "heat of battle". 

I have just generally felt as though our WR are not a well-coached group - from how they get off the line, to how they run their routes, to their sideline awareness and on and on.  Certainly how they catch (or don't) is part of that.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/2/2019 at 5:47 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Welp- that’s two WR coaches fired in 2 years 

I'm not sure what you can even expect from a WR coach with that crap he was handed. 

Outside of having a prior relationship with McDermott or Dabol, why would anyone want the job?

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I disagree. That's basic. I think that's more a product of lack of talent and the balls getting there quicker than they expect.

To pin KB's failings on Robiskie seems unfair. Motivation has been an issue with him since he got into the league.  The other regular wide receivers (Zay, Foster, and McKenzie) would appear to have benefitted from Robiskie's tutelage if you go by their production in previous years/systems.   

Is it me, or does there seem to be a certain amount of scapegoating going on?

Three positions that had absolutely abysmal talent-- O-line, special teams, and wide receiver-- and three coaches fires from those units...

Not saying these guys should have stuck around necessarily (especially Crossman), but, it does make one think...

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Three positions that had absolutely abysmal talent-- O-line, special teams, and wide receiver-- and three coaches fires from those units...

Not saying these guys should have stuck around necessarily (especially Crossman), but, it does make one think...

Chicken or egg?

45 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

There's probably some scapegoating going on, sure

There's also the saying when you point the finger and fire a guy you hired after 1-2 years, how many fingers are pointing back at you?

OTOH, it may be Robiskie and Castillo simply didn't play well with Daboll, and perhaps the case could be made the talent was poor, but so was the level of preparation which goes to coaching.

Daboll's seat ain't exactly secure and comfy for next season if there's not a significant offensive improvement, so one viewpoint would be he deserves to bring in his guys and give himself the best chance.

On January 3, 2019 at 8:37 AM, Captain Hindsight said:

He's awful on the John Murphy Show. Like cant complete a thought bad.

If that show didn't book great guests, it would be a joke

I love Tasker on the show. Love how he stands up to the homer, John Murphy. Love how he gives the players prospective.

• SDS unpinned this topic