Interesting and optimistic point about our final record

Alphadawg7

31 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I don’t play the what if game.

The results were the results.

But...how is it a what if game?  I simply just pointed out that our final record isn’t as bleak as it first looks and that there was a lot to be excited about as the season ended.  If you prefer to not look for optimistic signs in the season, all good, that’s your choice.  Others like myself on the other hand prefer to look closer at things to see where we may be headed overall.  

The NFL season was one of the worst for talent and execution ever, nobody was consistently good and the Bills went 6–10.....

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But...how is it a what if game?  I simply just pointed out that our final record isn’t as bleak as it first looks and that there was a lot to be excited about as the season ended.  If you prefer to not look for optimistic signs in the season, all good, that’s your choice.  Others like myself on the other hand prefer to look closer at things to see where we may be headed overall.  

You are what your record says you are, a pathetic 6-10.

But go ahead and spend hours sifting through it and tell yourself it really was an 11 win team

LOL

6 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

i would really love for us to take the division while Brady is still playing.  I want us to be the reason why Brady retires after next season.

It doesn't matter anymore, IMO. Brady and the Pats have already dominated for almost 2 decades. He's gonna retire comfortably, not distraught over the Bills finally winning the div....

22 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Because it can go both ways. And the games ended the way they ended.

That’s how sports work.

• Like (+1) 1

I understand the optimism.  Allen is a diiferent level QB than the Bills have had this century.   The completion % is a concern. It could go either way for Allen. But his talent and mentality give him a chance to be a true franchise QB.

In general I believe  this is the most stable and competent coaching staff and management team the Bills have had since Marv (the coach not the GM).  It really does feel like they’re building a foundation to be consistently competitive the next few years.  

This year 6 - 10 is really where they deserved to be.   Expect improvement in Allen’s 2nd year.  But based on his inconsistency this year, his play was not better than the.500 winning %.he ended with.

The thing about our record that encourages me is we won 4 out of the last 7.  We were trending up and even got a comeback win.  This should get the guys that are left a reason to BELIEVE again.  Josh's last game waS his best.  

also during the Chan Gailey era we were going all out to win and going 6-10.  This team matches their record with scrubs and a tire fire smoldering mid season.I

Gives me hope.

go BILLS  !!!

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

The NFL season was one of the worst for talent and execution ever, nobody was consistently good and the Bills went 6–10.....

You are what your record says you are, a pathetic 6-10.

But go ahead and spend hours sifting through it and tell yourself it really was an 11 win team

LOL

Except that’s not what I said at all, but all good

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Mentioned this in other threads, but wanted to draw a little more attention to this fact as another indicator of optimism going into the offseason.

Josh Allen was 5-5 in games he started and finished.  However...while that is solid on its own for a rookie, especially considering all factors, think about this:

• Had it not been for a drop by Clay in Miami and a Special Teams blunder against the Jets, Allen would have been 7-3 as a starter.
  • If he doesn't get hurt in Houston game, I think we most likely win that game which would have then also had him at 8-3 as a starter.

Think about that for a second...Despite all of the following, Josh was literally 2 single plays by this team away from 7-3 and probably had another win taken away when he got hurt against Houston:

• Being a rookie who started the year off without a QB Vet around him either
  • Not getting even half the reps in preseason and camp because he was in a 3 way QB battle
  • Poor pass protection
  • Terrible run blocking resulting in terrible run game (outside of himself)
  • A WR1 for most of season that was slow, disinterested, sloppy and couldn't catch in KB
  • A WR group as a whole that struggled with separation and catching most the year
  • A TE who had probably his worst season in his career
  • And a significantly down year for what was supposed to be our best offensive player in McCoy, who saw Ivory run more effectively than him

I honestly think we will win the division next year between his continued development, having a year under his belt, a full offseason as unquestioned starter, and the additions we all expect to come in around him on the offense this year.  

I have the exact same feeling.

This is the Pats Swan Song - next year they will be mediocre.  IMHO

13 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Top obstacle to overcome is the Patriots.  Beating them in Foxboro is very difficult so the Bills have to beat them in Buffalo.

Even though the final scores this season weren’t as one sided as they have been in the past, the Bills were never a serious threat to the Pats in those games.

It is important to note:  The Pats won't BE The PATS forever!

Eventually they will return to being the pats ...   

...and THAT day is coming very soon.

8 hours ago, Success said:

I’d like to be in Boston the moment we win the division next year.  There will be some interesting expressions.

I really dont think many Pats fans would be upset if the Bills won the division in the near future. We all know that the reign is ending soon.

14 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Consistent mediocrity; if he has matured he may get a few more years!

Consistant injuries yes.  Mediocrity?  I wouldnt call 500 yards and 3 TDs in 9 games mediocre, especially with a 72.7 catch percentage and a whole lot of other weapons on that team.  The word mediocre is overused on this site.  It means barely adequate.  Sorry but that doesnt desribe Watkins.  Often injured would be a fair arguement.

14 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Mentioned this in other threads, but wanted to draw a little more attention to this fact as another indicator of optimism going into the offseason.

Josh Allen was 5-5 in games he started and finished.  However...while that is solid on its own for a rookie, especially considering all factors, think about this:

• Had it not been for a drop by Clay in Miami and a Special Teams blunder against the Jets, Allen would have been 7-3 as a starter.
  • If he doesn't get hurt in Houston game, I think we most likely win that game which would have then also had him at 8-3 as a starter.

Think about that for a second...Despite all of the following, Josh was literally 2 single plays by this team away from 7-3 and probably had another win taken away when he got hurt against Houston:

• Being a rookie who started the year off without a QB Vet around him either
  • Not getting even half the reps in preseason and camp because he was in a 3 way QB battle
  • Poor pass protection
  • Terrible run blocking resulting in terrible run game (outside of himself)
  • A WR1 for most of season that was slow, disinterested, sloppy and couldn't catch in KB
  • A WR group as a whole that struggled with separation and catching most the year
  • A TE who had probably his worst season in his career
  • And a significantly down year for what was supposed to be our best offensive player in McCoy, who saw Ivory run more effectively than him

I honestly think we will win the division next year between his continued development, having a year under his belt, a full offseason as unquestioned starter, and the additions we all expect to come in around him on the offense this year.  

Another interesting view from 2018 season ... 7 of our 10 losses were against teams in the Playoffs (Pats -2, Bears, Colts, Chargers, Ravens, Texans) ... and 2 wins of 6 wins against teams that were playoff eligible (Win and your in) the last week of the season (Vikings and Colts) .. with the talent void listed above ... says alot of our defense and one man offense with Josh.  Looking forward to 2019

• Awesome! (+1) 1

We have a starting QB. This is the best thing that came from the season. 

He looked a little spazzy at first but by the end of the season, while he was still making some mistakes, he was clearly in charge. 

For the first time in a long time, I feel like I can check off QB for a few years at least. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Consistant injuries yes.  Mediocrity?  I wouldnt call 500 yards and 3 TDs in 9 games mediocre, especially with a 72.7 catch percentage and a whole lot of other weapons on that team.  The word mediocre is overused on this site.  It means barely adequate.  Sorry but that doesnt desribe Watkins.  Often injured would be a fair arguement.

OK, I buy your argument, however, he has never lived up to first round status nor has he ever been an impact player.

9 minutes ago, vorpma said:

OK, I buy your argument, however, he has never lived up to first round status nor has he ever been an impact player.

For the most part due to injuries I would have to agree.  He did have a stretch of 9 games with TT as his QB that he put top 5 numbers Top 3 if I remember correctly.  Then he had surgery.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1