Final Tremaine Edmunds numbers, shoutout from Bills PR

Logic

Most people realized he was a raw prospect with high upside. He’s 20. I would have loved him to be polished all around all pro MLB at this stage too, but realistically that was not who he was. He has a really good LB coach in Bob Babich. He played a very demanding role this year and i imagine probably a little overwhelmed. The game will probably slow down a bit for him next year. His talent is undeniable and they rave about his work ethic. 

13 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Oh really?  Point me to the interview with Beane or McD where they say this.

So what happens when a team realizes he is a liability in the running game, and just keeps pounding the rock?  I'm going to guess that most teams still run the ball at least 40% of the time.

Its pretty much common knowledge that the NFL has become a passing league. And prior to Milano & Edmunds, the big knock on our linebacking corps was that they lacked the speed required in todays game. Deficiencies we've seen for years trying to cover Gronk for instance. 

There may be quotes in comments prior to his selection that state this, but it should just be a given that we needed to get faster at the LB position for the purpose of being better in pass coverage.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was very critical of Edmunds this season.  Yes he is 20 years but it seems like every time he screwed up that’s all people would say and it became a bit of a cop out.  

There were a lot of times when he was the biggest weak link on the defense both in pass defense and against the run.  

I am a bit concerned about his ability to fill holes, take on and get off blocks to make tackles.  I think a lot of the yardage on the ground is a result of his struggles to successfully stuff the run.

But when you look at his work over the course of 15 games, I think like Allen there is a reason to be optimistic, though I feel he has a long way to go.  

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Yeah. Low man wins, and with his uncommon height for the position, he's almost never the low man. If he can improve his block shedding and tackling, he'll be the total package.

Or he can just leapfrog the blocks to make plays like we saw him do against Miami—either way this kids should be a terror to opposing offenses for years to come I hope! 

27 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

...and yet he badly failed the eye test of being a run stuffing MLB.  Let's see if they go into 2019 prepared to go with him at MLB the entire season, or will they have a Plan B to move him outside and move somone else inside.

Its more important today in a pass happy league to have a MLB with range than a "run stuffing MLB" for one.  Second, he is not even 21 years old.  3rd, he was learning a new position too.  Lastly, he compiled all those stats despite also missing a little time getting banged up.

So for me, I think these types of criticism are bit over exaggerated.  And at the end of the day, him not being the "run stuffer" as a rookie you think he needed to be had almost no impact on our record as we finished the season as the 2nd ranked defense in total yards allowed, and offense and Special Teams is where we lost games.

Now consider the total picture:  Josh Allen as a "raw rookie" ended the season 5-5 in games he started and finished.  He was one dropped pass by Clay and one Special Teams mistake away from being 7-3 as a starter on an offense that he had little help around him.  And had he not gotten hurt in Houston game, he likely is 8-3 as our starter.  I think its pretty safe to say that this defense (as is) was already playoff caliber and at championship levels if they have more help from the offense.  

Factor in year the expected growth of young guys on defense this next year in Edmunds, Taron, Levi, and Phillips and this defense can and should be even better next year.  There is a ton of reasons to be very excited about Edmunds, even if he never reaches the "run stuffing" levels you want from him.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Logic said:

They didn't draft him to be a run stuffing MLB. They drafted him to be a MLB in the year 2019 and beyond, where pass defense is the name of the game. And as the stats said, he defended 12 passes, had 2 INTs and 2 Sacks. He negatively affected the opponent's passing game quite well. The run defense instincts should improve with time and experience. Anyone expecting him to move outside (where Milano is already starting and playing well) is going to be disappointed.

Good summary.  My concern is, if he isn’t the run stuffing thumper, than how the is defense going to stop running attacks like we saw in New England?  He definitely needs to improve in this area

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Oh really?  Point me to the interview with Beane or McD where they say this.

So what happens when a team realizes he is a liability in the running game, and just keeps pounding the rock?  I'm going to guess that most teams still run the ball at least 40% of the time.

I mean...did you watch the Dolphins game last Sunday? I fully agree that Edmunds needs to improve in the run game. But if you watched him against the Dolphins (and at various other times throughout the year), you saw him making more and more plays against the run. He's learning, he's improving. He's TWENTY YEARS OLD AND PLAYING A POSITION HE'S NEVER PLAYED BEFORE!

5 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Good summary.  My concern is, if he isn’t the run stuffing thumper, than how the is defense going to stop running attacks like we saw in New England?  He definitely needs to improve in this area

He DOES need to improve in this area, you're absolutely right. No way around it. Even in that game against NE, though, the lack of Matt Milano and Taron Johnson really hurt us in run defense. We pretty much completely stifled the Patriots' running attack the first time we faced them. Things were drastically different the second time. A lot of it was on Edmunds, too, though. Overall, in 2018, how many teams lined up and dominated the Bills in the running game? Not many. I don't believe that's a big concern going forward, because it wasn't a huge concern in 2018, even with a raw Edmunds needing improvement.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

NE ran the edge on us with 22 and with 13 personnel. While Edmunds indeed had one of his worst games (or worst game) vs. them, much of the damage NE did was on the edge, where scheme or other players would also be responsible. 

• Like (+1) 1

He’s currently 2/3 of what we need. Athletically and physically is ideal.  His coverage ability is ideal. His play against the run leaves a lot to be desired.  Will be elite if he can figure out how to dominate ca the run.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

He needs to hit the weight room and add some explosive power to his legs & improve his upper body strength. These are great numbers but imagine if he continues to physically develop. 

Maybe a little, but with his height you don't want him to bulky. At least I don't. He is built for speed. Like others have commented, if he can learn to shuck his blocks better he will get much better against the run. 

45 minutes ago, Logic said:

The fact that he did all of this as a 20-year-old who never before played the position is just astonishing. 

And aside from personal stats, he was the "quarterback" of the 2nd ranked defense and 1st ranked pass defense in the NFL. That's huge.

I know some fans felt he disappointed this year, but I don't think that at all, not even a little bit. Crazy what he did at such a young age. Future is extremely bright.

I have to agree with you on this. I just don't understand how anyone can be disappointed by a 20 year old rookie who came out and performed as well as he did. Did he have some issues...of course, but he's a rookie. A 20 year old one at that. He progressed through the season and kept getting better which was all i wanted to see with him and Allen. I am happy with what i saw from both and have even higher expectations for next year.

33 minutes ago, Logic said:

I mean...did you watch the Dolphins game last Sunday? I fully agree that Edmunds needs to improve in the run game. But if you watched him against the Dolphins (and at various other times throughout the year), you saw him making more and more plays against the run. He's learning, he's improving. He's TWENTY YEARS OLD AND PLAYING A POSITION HE'S NEVER PLAYED BEFORE!

He DOES need to improve in this area, you're absolutely right. No way around it. Even in that game against NE, though, the lack of Matt Milano and Taron Johnson really hurt us in run defense. We pretty much completely stifled the Patriots' running attack the first time we faced them. Things were drastically different the second time. A lot of it was on Edmunds, too, though. Overall, in 2018, how many teams lined up and dominated the Bills in the running game? Not many. I don't believe that's a big concern going forward, because it wasn't a huge concern in 2018, even with a raw Edmunds needing improvement.

Only time will tell.  ;)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

he needs to learn how to tackle better. his poor center of gravity enables him getting blown up by runners and blockers alike.

Yeah, that led to a lot of hand/arm tackling which you can’t do vs big backs 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, zevo said:

Seems like a pretty successful rookie campaign to me...full nfl offseason with proper regimen and growth...kid should be a monster next year 

Seriously, can we please sign him to a 15 year contract?!!! What is Beane waiting for?!

(Yes, I know that's not allowed...)