Bills finish 2018 as NFL’s top pass defense for first time since 1999

YoloinOhio

Well also we were getting blown out in a lot of games and so teams had very little need to pass on us. Im sure that played into this somewhat. But doesnt change the fact that our secondary is in the top third of the league.

11 minutes ago, Foxx said:

not only did we lead the league in pass defense but we did so by a significant margin. over 15 yds per game. 

Must be kept in perspective.  Ravens, Chargers, Bears, GB and Colts had no reason to pass versus Bills after halftime.  4 minute offense in effect after the half.

In all those games, save the Bears, we also gave up >100 yds rushing, including 220 yds to Colts!  Those games hurt our Run defense numbers.  Why throw?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, TPS said:

Which is why it’s still important to stop the run. The top 5 run Ds are in the playoffs. 

stats like this don't matter, teams go into offensive shells during garbagetime to protect the lead, and we were wondering why on earth the Pats were even bothering to throw the ball the last 3 quarters.

win-loss record is the only useful stat for judging a team

1 hour ago, jletha said:

Well also we were getting blown out in a lot of games and so teams had very little need to pass on us. Im sure that played into this somewhat. But doesnt change the fact that our secondary is in the top third of the league.

There you go. There's always one negative nelly in the group ?

43 minutes ago, row_33 said:

it was buttressed by playing matador against the running game, seems they were gashed completely at will on the ground all season

Seems is the key word here as it is not backed by the facts in the least. Bills were wildly inconsistent against the run -- "gashed" in three games, held the opponent under 100 in half of the games (only over 120 in four games).

1 hour ago, jletha said:

I don't think this explains the ranking.  For example, in their final seven games of the season, during which the Bills went 4-3 and suffered only one "blowout" loss (NE***), the passing yardage against was 116, 107, 115, 170, 208, 117, and 126.

I don't think the Bills played at an "elite" level of overall defense this season, but the fact is their pass defense was quite good -- better than top third.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, eball said:

I don't think this explains the ranking.  For example, in their final seven games of the season, during which the Bills went 4-3 and suffered only one "blowout" loss (NE***), the passing yardage against was 116, 107, 115, 170, 208, 117, and 126.

I don't think the Bills played at an "elite" level of overall defense this season, but the fact is their pass defense was quite good -- better than top third.

I also recall the blowouts were a result of turnovers and lack of offense leading to good field position for the opponent. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I also recall the blowouts were a result of turnovers and lack of offense leading to good field position for the opponent. 

Of the five games in which the Bills allowed 240+ yards passing, four of them came in "blowouts" (Baltimore, Chargers, Packers, first Pats*** game).

• Thank you (+1) 1

Our secondary is pretty good, but... short fields probably help that.  Between turnovers, extra special special teams, penalties all giving short fields and the Pats playing almost an entire game running the football probably helps that stat.

Edited by Scott7975

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Bears game in particular.  Bills only gave up 65 yds on the ground  and 134 via  the air.  But 4 turnovers, including 2 pick 6's did us in.  PETERMAN!!!

• Sad 1