Do you guys think the Bills will add a veteran number one WR.....

njbuff

15 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think they bring in Devin Funchess as a less expensive alternative to Tyrell Williams. 

I really hope not. Funchess regressed this year and I don’t want another big slow WR. He’s basically KB lite, and less overall production. 

I want Tyrell Williams if we decide to not draft a Hollywood Brown or Metcalf, but I’d also get on board with Cole Beasley as a cheap option and someone that could help Zay improve in the slot if we do draft Brown or Metcalf. 

My gut says don't spend big FA $ on an aging WR. I would continue to develop Zay and Robert.  I would spend a lower contract on a potential #2 guy like Tyrell Williams. I would try to trade up in the 2nd round and see if Marquise Brown falls? Stay away from Diva wrs.

• Like (+1) 1

I think people have their sights set a little high on receiver. I wouldn’t be upset to land Julio or someone of his caliber. 

I just don’t see them going all out. I expect to draft someone who can potentially be a legit threat later but I don’t think they’ll go all out and lose draft picks for an again vet. I can see signing a vet free agent and drafting in round 1 or 2. I don’t think they’ll give up picks especially the ones it would take to land a top 5-10 receiver in this league. 

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

My gut says don't spend big FA $ on an aging WR. I would continue to develop Zay and Robert.  I would spend a lower contract on a potential #2 guy like Tyrell Williams. I would try to trade up in the 2nd round and see if Marquise Brown falls? Stay away from Diva wrs.

Tyrell will probably get in the 9-11 million range.  Not sure if that's what you were thinking on "lower contract".  

7 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Season ending neck injuries are a scary thing. Especially for skill players. He may drop down a lot of boards

If he passes the physical and has a great showing at NFL combine and he is sitting there at #9, how can you pass him up?

33 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

What do you think that cost is?  The Cowboys gave up a #1 for Amari Cooper - who at the time of the trade was considerably under performing compared to Julio Jones, even though he is 4 years younger I believe.  The Cowboys at the time were legitimately a passing threat away from making a playoff run due to their poor division.

2nd this year and 3rd next. He wants a new contract and after spending a 1st on Ridley last year you have to imagine they don’t wanna give him close to 20 million a year. 

• Like (+1) 1

Here is what I think Beane will attempt to do:

A) Try to make a splash trade for a Julio, AB or AJ Green sort of player.  if that fails then:

B)  Go for Golden Tate, Tyrell Williams or Funchess sort of decent tiered WR in FA

C)  If they are unable to get their elite WR through a trade to do option B and go high in the draft and try to get their preferred WR whoever that may be.  (Metcalf, Hollywood brown?)

D) If they do get their elite WR through a trade, then they will go after a WR in the draft but somewhere in the 3rd round range.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Or will they draft someone within the first two rounds and continue to develop their own young WR's?

Or will they do both?

Will they make a big trade for an AJ Green, Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, Odell Beckham?

Will they take someone in the second round, cause as of right now there isn't a WR worth the 9th overall pick (which obviously can change)?

What do you think?

If the 2015 Panthers are a model, then no.

That team had 4 WRs that had between 31 and 44 catches (Ginn, Cotchery, Funchess, and Corey Brown). The big stud was Greg Olsen - 77 catches.

I don't see Beane going with WR at #9 or trading for Julio Jones or AJ Green. I think he will invest heavily on the offensive and defensive lines and be judicious at the skill positions.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

If he passes the physical and has a great showing at NFL combine and he is sitting there at #9, how can you pass him up?

I hear what your saying, but players with serious injuries often pass physicals only to have recurring injuries. I'd be nervous if it was me. All it would take is one Landry hit on AW and it'd be a wasted 1st round pick

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Or will they draft someone within the first two rounds and continue to develop their own young WR's?

Or will they do both?

Will they make a big trade for an AJ Green, Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, Odell Beckham?

Will they take someone in the second round, cause as of right now there isn't a WR worth the 9th overall pick (which obviously can change)?

What do you think?

1978 Bills Acquired Frank Lewis, veteran wide out who worked great with First Rounder Jerry Butler and brought veteran experience to the team - 1989 James Lofton combined with Andre Reed. Both had great numbers, veteran presence in the locker room and great members of the community while in Buffalo! Neither broke the bank!

5 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

I don't think I could, but I'll feel a whole lot better about it if we sign at least one good tackle and veteran center in free agency.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Or will they do both?

What do you think?

Metcalf is absolutely worthy of the 9th pick

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Tatonka68 said:

Any player that has "Team" issues aka Antonio Brown, or would completely destroy there cap plan will NOT be signed. A lower end veteran and a high draft pick is there plan. 

Metcalf and Golden Tate work for me.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I hear what your saying, but players with serious injuries often pass physicals only to have recurring injuries. I'd be nervous if it was me. All it would take is one Landry hit on AW and it'd be a wasted 1st round pick

Like Thurman Thomas, knee issue, definitely not worth the pick. LOL

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Metcalf is absolutely worthy of the 9th pick

I am still not there myself. 

And to answer the original question - I think they should add a vet #1. Not sure if they will. I provided the stats on both DeAndre Hopkins and TY Hilton's rookie seasons as #2s learning their craft against single coverage while Andre Johnson and Reggie Wayne respectively were the #1s. I think get a vet #1 who can take the pressure off but who also can be a leader and a teacher in what will otherwise be a very young receiver room.

They should absolutely still draft at least one in the first two days of the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Because Beane is going to draft BPA period. Or at least that's what he's stated publicly.