Josh Allen---has your opinion changed on him since draft night?

Big Turk

Yes it has.  I didn't like Allen predraft.  But after watching a few plays in preseason- Josh gives me hope for the Bills.  His skillset is like no other.  He has an Aaron Rogers like arm, with Michael Vick speed, and Cam Newton size.  He was a one man team(slight hyperbole, but slight) many times.  The win with Keith Ford(fresh off PS, not being able to run half playbook) is case in point.  He is a leader who wants to be great, and wants to win.  Give him a good oline(a la Andrew Luck) and some playmakers (RB, WR, TE) and watch him shine

I preferred Rosen at the time of the draft.  I had seen a few games he played at UCLA and he looked like a pro-ready QB.  I had never seen Allen play.  When we drafted Allen, I was disappointed, but have kept an open mind.  He has exceeded my expectations and I think he has the potential to be the best of the QB class.  No doubt Mayfield looks better now, but he was more pro-ready coming in and he has more weapons available to him.  He has Jarvis Landry, who I dislike, but think has incredible hands and is a very good WR.  He has a TE from Miami who was a 1st round pick and is developing into a quality NFL player.  He has some semblance of an OL and running game.  Allen has none of those things right now.  Assuming the Bills acquire those pieces, Allen has the potential to be great.  In addition to his physical abilities, which are obvious, he's competitive, fiery and tough.  He is a great teammate and leader.  He elevates others and guys will want to play with/for him.

Edited by msw2112

3 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

I didn’t want him, I was yelling at the TV for Rosen. My initial fears were that Allen would be EJ 2.0. 

I can say today that I’m glad he was the pick and he is fun to watch. He still needs to work on his touch, accuracy and decision making (be willing to check down) but I think we’re going to be set with Josh for a long time.

How refreshing is it to be talking about a Bills QB, like, dude you need to check down more?!?

Edited by metzelaars_lives
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i'm honestly not trying to be a jerk here guys but I have no clue how somebody can come to such over the top conclusions about a guy so early in their career. 

"he just wont ever get it".... after 6 games?...… seriously? that's just so silly to me. I don't know how that stuff can be taken seriously. 

Many, many quarterbacks have come into this league with big time skills and pedestrian college numbers. There hasn't been a successful NFL QB since Brett Favre(30 YEARS AGO when passing numbers were much different) with a 56% collegiate completion percentage who panned out. Do you follow these trends or just take the wait and see approach? That is the origin of the skepticism. The new school data driven folks hated him as a prospect(many still do), but most have moved toward the middle based on the big time plays he's able to make that less talented guys simply cannot. His strengths are greater than anyone anticipated. It wasn't merely the first 6 games; he's your typical boom or bust QB and most of them are bust. These are just facts. So I can't understand how YOU can't understand what it is that made Josh Allen such a polarizing player.

As I've stated, I'm much more open to the idea that the data driven folks missed the boat on Josh Allen than I was before the season. 

Edited by LSHMEAB

Significantly.  I didn't want him in the draft because accuracy rarely improves.   Not sure it will significantly improve but the "deep in" patterns have improved so there is hope.  Was not aware of his leadership abilities.  Was not aware he could run.  I have noticed him sliding in the pocket to avoid the rush as opposed to just taking off.  That is a huge improvement.  We finally have a QB who can run a QB sneak.  Can't remember a QB we had who could sneak since James Harris.  Very skeptical and now sold on at least next year.

39 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I think that there is something to be said for a QB that may have a game average of 55 percent completions but gains 380 yards versus a guy that has a completion percentage of 72 percent but only gains 260 yards per game.  Yes, I think that completions are important but big yardage most likely means longer drives with more opportunity for scoring.

But that's the thing. He really didn't put up big yardage numbers at Wyoming. I understand your point and have readily admitted that he's far better than I thought, but to dismiss the initial skepticism is to not understand it's origin.

13 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Many, many quarterbacks have come into this league with big time skills and pedestrian college numbers. There hasn't been a successful NFL QB since Brett Favre(30 YEARS AGO when passing numbers were much different) with a 56% collegiate completion percentage who panned out. Do you follow these trends or just take the wait and see approach? That is the origin of the skepticism. The new school data driven folks hated him as a prospect(many still do), but most have moved toward the middle based on the big time plays he's able to make that less talented guys simply cannot. His strengths are greater than anyone anticipated. It wasn't merely the first 6 games; he's your typical boom or bust QB and most of them are bust. These are just facts. So I can't understand how YOU can't understand what it is that made Josh Allen such a polarizing player.

As I've stated, I'm much more open to the idea that the data driven folks missed the boat on Josh Allen than I was before the season. 

because I've watched enough football and enough draft picks to realize that coming to any sort of dramatic conclusions(positive or negative) about any player before they even played a down is folly.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

because I've watched enough football and enough draft picks to realize that coming to any sort of dramatic conclusions(positive or negative) about any player before they even played a down is folly.

So you don't have ANY strong opinions about any of the draft prospects in 2019? 

I like.. many wanted the other Josh..   In retrospect, it's quite clear that I bought into all the 'stuff' that mainstream media said about Rosen (Being the most pro ready, big college program, etc) vs Allen (small program, inaccurate, big time project).. but once I actually saw both Allen and Rosen on the NFL field..  my opinion started to turn quickly.  Ultimately, my 'hope' in Allen resides in a couple of things that we have seen..  1) He has demonstrated an ability to learn.   This really has resonated over the last six games.  Any fan can see that game has continued to slow down for him.  The is a function of him learning on the job 2) Leadership.  It's quite clear he is the leader of this team.  For a rookie like Allen to come into this team as a third stringer  (granted he was a high draft pick) and come out as the leader of this team (backed up by both vets like Lorax and KW) speaks volumes to me.

The future is bright is my friends.

Didnt hate allen, loved the arm and didnt think he was nearly as inaccurate as he was made out to be, from watching just about all the tape i could. His senior bowl tape really was an eye opener. Played with better talent and threw dimes all over.

That being said, rosen was 100% who i was set on. Thought he was absolutely the top qb in the draft and when we traded up and he was still there and we didnt take him, i think i nearly had a stroke.

But im all in with JA. After the injury, i think weve got our guy finally. Hes only going to get better too guys. And he fits buffalo so well its crazy.

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

So you don't have ANY strong opinions about any of the draft prospects in 2019? 

I need to educate myself quite a bit more now that nfl regular season is over..... and even then, no I wont have overly strong opinions on many, if any, of the players. I rarely do. the way things work out, or don't workout, has shown its not a winning venture.

I've had strong feelings about guys. I've had a hard on for Mayfield since he was a sophomore at OU. I also LOVED the james hardy pick?...… my point is, even if I feel one way or the other I've always realized that talking like you know one way or the other for sure about how a pick is gonna pan out isn't very becoming. its just so happens its a fairly common trait here.... and that's fine I suppose. Because it is a place to voice opinion, after all..... people just need to be prepared when it makes them look really foolish. 

if watching the NFL or the draft has taught me anything over the years its that people really don't have much of a pulse on if they actually know or don't know whether a guy is gonna pan out or not. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

6 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I need to educate myself quite a bit more now that nfl regular season is over..... and even then, no I wont have overly strong opinions on many, if any, of the players. I rarely do. the way things work out, or don't workout, has shown its not a winning venture.

I've had strong feelings about guys. I've had a hard on for Mayfield since he was a sophomore at OU. I also LOVED the james hardy pick?...… my point is, even if I feel one way or the other I've always realized that talking like you know one way or the other for sure about how a pick is gonna pan out isn't very becoming. its just so happens its a fairly common trait here.... and that's fine I suppose. Because it is a place to voice opinion, after all..... people just need to be prepared when it makes them look really foolish. 

if watching the NFL or the draft has taught me anything over the years its that people really don't have much of a pulse on if they actually know or don't know whether a guy is gonna pan out or not. 

I get it. For me personally, there's no downside in having a strong negative opinion on Allen. If I'm wrong, that's good for the Bills, and ultimately more important than any opinion I spout on a message board.

As a betting man, I'm perfectly used to being wrong. It happens all the time. I just want to be right 53 percent of the time.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

How refreshing is it to be talking about a Bills QB, like, dude you need to check down more?!?

I made a similar comment about a week ago.  It's sort of like the ugly vs fat debate.  At least the fat dude can lose the weight but the ugly dude will always be ugly.

The fact that he can throw it down the field with ease and that is his natural tendency you can always coach him to check down more.  The other check down masters, they just can't seem to let it rip down the field.  

Allen wants to make the plays down the field, he just needs to harness it in some.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

It is a problem I never thought I'd live to see the Bills have. I'm no QB coach but I'd venture to guess it is a lot easier to teach a guy to check down than it is to teach a guy to let it rip down field.

I was just rooting for him to succeed - no expectations other than that.  Let him at least take some snaps before judging him.

Someone should unearth those threads when we first drafted him - some of the the out of control screeching hate/vitriol for a guy we drafted before he ever took a snap was ridiculous and an embarrassment.  It's one thing to have an (even strong) opinion and say "I don't like it - He wasn't my guy - I don't think he'll do well" - but some of the over the top negativity was patently ridiculous.  

I had concerns about his accuracy on draft night and those concerns persist, but the kid is likable and easy to root for because everyone hates on him. I also don't think it's fair to really judge him on a season with the worst collection of WRs I've ever seen, and that's more an indictment of the poor job McBeane has done in talent acquisition. 

If you forced me to make a call on his career, I'd say he'd never be a top 10 QB or a QB that can win a Super Bowl. Hopefully, I am extremely wrong on this one because I really want Allen to be awesome just to dunk on people on Twitter.