Josh Allen---has your opinion changed on him since draft night?

Big Turk

For me, I didnt want him. I believed all the hype with his terrible completion percentage, that he wasn't ready, etc etc...

I am a pretty big fan after watching his first year play out I have to admit. Accuracy is an issue but not as much as I think most people believe. Yes he makes some bad throws, but throwing the ball away, deeper throws than normal and dropped passes are a much bigger factor in his incompletions than his inaccuracy. in fact I was surprised to see his accuracy be so much better than i imagined...I was envisioning balls all over the place and terrible ball placement but I didnt see a lot of that. Were there some throws he would like back? Yeah sure there were...did he appear to be a 51.4% completion QB based on the accuracy of his throws? No way...

His athleticism is off the charts, dude is crazy fast for his size and is explosive when running. He hits top speed quickly and can really move...you can see this by how many times a defender thinks they have him and takes a bad angle only to have Allen blow by the guy without him even touching him.

I think shoring up the protection, and giving Allen some more weapons to work with will do a lot towards helping him improve his completion percentage.

Do i think he will ever be a 65% completion QB? No. He will probably be similar to Cam Newton hovering around upper 50s to low 60s. I think we can still win with that based on how often he throws deeper passes and improving the talent around him.

Needless to say I'm excited to see how things work out as he gets a full off season and all the work in minicamps and training camps as the undisputed #1 QB with continued help from Anderson and Barkley who he credits for a lot of his development in little nuances and understanding the game better.

So has your opinion changed on Josh Allen from the draft to now? 

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 10

I talked myself into it within a hour after the draft and was all in. I’ve always been able to do that as a fan. 

I also thought everyone coming in here like they knew how these qb’s would pan out one way or the other looked like fools and I told them as much. 

If people come on here and act like they “know” how a qb is gonna workout it usually says to me they hadn’t watched a ton of the nfl or drafts over the years. 

• Like (+1) 17

Allen was the guy I was hoping the Bills would draft.  I'm still very optimistic about his future, so no I guess nothing has really changed my mind since draft day.  

21 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I also thought everyone coming in here like they knew how these qb’s would pan out one way or the other looked like fools and I told them as much. 

If people come on here and act like they “know” how a qb is gonna workout it usually says to me they hadn’t watched a ton of the nfl or drafts over the years. 

Agreed 100%.  

Edited by BillsFanSD

I wasn’t a big fan on the pick, would of rather had Rosen at the time. Watching him play all year with probably the worst supporting cast in football, i’m glad Beane moved up to grab him. Now it’s time to build around him.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I was firmly aboard the "ANYONE BUT ALLEN" train at the draft. 

Yes I have done a 180 on that since draft night, and would take Allen over any QB from that draft aside from Baker Mayfield. 

He is not finished, but the best part is, he knows that and WILL get better in all aspects. Of that I am highly certain. Kid is a worker. He wants to be excellent. 

• Like (+1) 9

He was the guy I wanted throughout the entire process. I watched college film, watched the senior bowl, watched the combine, watched his pro-day, wanted him the whole way. Obviously I am very pro Allen. That being said, my opinion has changed. I did not think he would have the type of running ability in the pro game that he has shown. My opinion has grown higher of Josh Allen. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I didn’t want him, I was yelling at the TV for Rosen. My initial fears were that Allen would be EJ 2.0. 

I can say today that I’m glad he was the pick and he is fun to watch. He still needs to work on his touch, accuracy and decision making (be willing to check down) but I think we’re going to be set with Josh for a long time.

• Like (+1) 7

Somewhat. His game doesn't typically translate into consistent NFL success. He has a very long way to go to become a franchise QB. What he did show me was playmaking ability running the football. 

Would I make the pick over Rosen? Yes. So that's major change of opinion. I would still rather have Darnold, which was possible. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

29 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

For me, I didnt want him. I believed all the hype with his terrible completion percentage, that he wasn't ready, etc etc...

I am a pretty big fan after watching his first year play out I have to admit. Accuracy is an issue but not as much as I think most people believe. Yes he makes some bad throws, but throwing the ball away, deeper throws than normal and dropped passes are a much bigger factor in his incompletions than his inaccuracy. in fact I was surprised to see his accuracy be so much better than i imagined...I was envisioning balls all over the place and terrible ball placement but I didnt see a lot of that. Were there some throws he would like back? Yeah sure there were...did he appear to be a 51.4% completion QB based on the accuracy of his throws? No way...

His athleticism is off the charts, dude is crazy fast for his size and is explosive when running. He hits top speed quickly and can really move...you can see this by how many times a defender thinks they have him and takes a bad angle only to have Allen blow by the guy without him even touching him.

I think shoring up the protection, and giving Allen some more weapons to work with will do a lot towards helping him improve his completion percentage.

Do i think he will ever be a 65% completion QB? No. He will probably be similar to Cam Newton hovering around upper 50s to low 60s. I think we can still win with that based on how often he throws deeper passes and improving the talent around him.

Needless to say I'm excited to see how things work out as he gets a full off season and all the work in minicamps and training camps as the undisputed #1 QB with continued help from Anderson and Barkley who he credits for a lot of his development in little nuances and understanding the game better.

So has your opinion changed on Josh Allen from the draft to now? 

These two two points will keep the fan base pretty polarized about JA. 

He wasn’t my guy. I had him behind the other 4 but ahead of Rudolph (who some people loved for some strange reason). As it stands now, I’m thrilled with the Allen pick. He looks like a future star to me. He makes A LOT of plays with a very limited supporting cast. To me, his future is the brightest of the group. I was scared by his boom or bust qualities but I think the odds of “boom” are WAY better than I initially believed. 

• Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I did not like the pick at the time. Thought he needed way too much work. Wanted baker, darnold, or Rosen in that order.  I thought allen was going to be a complete joke of a nfl qb. 

I was wrong. The kid hasn't been perfect and needs a lot more work but I'm much more excited about the future now compared to after the draft. His potential is thru the roof. 

• Like (+1) 1

I wasn't thrilled draft night considering Rosen was still on the board. Didn't watch any Wyoming football so I didn't know much about the kid. I could only go by his limited highlight reel and what all the pundits thought. At that point I had  no choice but to trust McBeane since they get paid to know more than me. My thoughts on him have definitely changed and feel like many that his potential is sky high. Tremendous heart and athleticism. He may or may not be the answer but one thing is certain, we have exciting football back in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

He wasn't my #1 QB, but I had been high on him dating back to the year before so I was happy to end up with him; made his jersey my first ever Bills jersey too. I thought he would play early on and obviously that came to fruition. His running ability has been utilized more than I expected, but beyond that, I think he's pretty much been exactly as advertised, and I view that as a good thing.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Another season, preferably a full one, is definitely needed to see if Allen is legit.

So I guess that is a no.  

I am convinced that there are some people on this board who would have watched Dan Marino in 1983 and said, "we need to see more."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4