[Name Only Title] Dwayne Haskins...

DefenseWins

I think he is raw. Top 10 he would really worry me. His feet are lazy and messy and when pressured I think his mechanics generally fall apart. I see plenty of big boy throws on the games I watched but I need to see him read the field a bit more and I also get that sense that this was an offense he was managing through instruction rather than one he was running himself.

But he has played very well this season and I totally understand in the context of a weak QB class why he would decide to come out. He is the best of these in my opinion and with Herbert staying in school he is the one most likely to get pushed up. I don't have a 1st round grade on him on what I have watched but I do think he is the one QB who likely goes in the 1st round and he is in that Mahomes and Allen position to some extent where people are going to look very much at upside and forgive some of the rawness that is evident on his college film.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Solid pass on him at this point.  Just don't trust tOSU QB's, though they play in a real division and not a watered down SEC or ACC.  I think the kid is talented but lacks what ya need for a real chance at the NFL.

The kid I like who is raw is the Duke QB, Daniel Jones.  He will probably get over hyped in time because of the weak class but he is my understanding at QB.

I'm hoping it's him or SOMEONE who has this elite QB potential and is still available at 9.....let all the suitors come calling and the Bills can trade back.

I know...it's a dream, but...hey, without them - there's nothing to wish for...so, I'll just hope something like that happens. And, I'll add this - man it feels good to be in this position for the first time since Kelly where you feel pretty good about their QB situation believing they've found their Franchise QB for the future and now, you're not "hoping" they find the guy. Now, you're hoping the can put the pieces around him to be successful.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

The kid I like who is raw is the Duke QB, Daniel Jones.  He will probably get over hyped in time because of the weak class but he is my understanding at QB.

He has been getting some hype. I need to find some film of him. Matt Miller has him in his top 50 I think.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

He has been getting some hype. I need to find some film of him. Matt Miller has him in his top 50 I think.

He is what you'd expect of a Duke QB. Makes smart plays and sometimes not physically gifted enough to complete or connect on them.  But, he has talent. 

If the Bills got him he'd be another Brohm, Peterman, Tuel, Fitz.

Just now, Boyst62 said:

He is what you'd expect of a Duke QB. Makes smart plays and sometimes not physically gifted enough to complete or connect on them.  But, he has talent. 

If the Bills got him he'd be another Brohm, Peterman, Tuel, Fitz.

How does Fitz end up in with Peterman?!?!?!?!? Ant the other three come to think of it..... but particularly Nate.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If you're fine with the TV Broadcasts rather than All-22, there is a ton of Daniel Jones film out there; maybe more than any other QB. You can literally find almost any of his games from the past three seasons.

I don't think his ceiling is as high as Haskins and Lock, but I think he's the only QB I'd feel comfortable starting right away.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

How does Fitz end up in with Peterman?!?!?!?!? Ant the other three come to think of it..... but particularly Nate.

Fitz was gifted with intellect and short on ability.  All of those QB's were. Peterman could read a defense but could adapt or anticipate. 

The only thing Fitz was better than average at was he did have the ability to anticipate which is why he checked down often times to his short or under routes.

3 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I'm hoping it's him or SOMEONE who has this elite QB potential and is still available at 9.....let all the suitors come calling and the Bills can trade back.

I know...it's a dream, but...hey, without them - there's nothing to wish for...so, I'll just hope something like that happens. And, I'll add this - man it feels good to be in this position for the first time since Kelly where you feel pretty good about their QB situation believing they've found their Franchise QB for the future and now, you're not "hoping" they find the guy. Now, you're hoping the can put the pieces around him to be successful.

Right, but it goes back to the Chris Ballard argument from last season.  If you trade back in the draft, you lose out on a “premium pick.”  So if you trade back, you have to consider what you’re missing out on by doing so.  Basically the return has to be excellent, unless you don’t rank any top prospects 

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

Fitz was gifted with intellect and short on ability.  All of those QB's were. Peterman could read a defense but could adapt or anticipate. 

The only thing Fitz was better than average at was he did have the ability to anticipate which is why he checked down often times to his short or under routes.

Fitz was infinitely more able than Peterman. And Peterman could only read a defense pre-snap. That is part of why he throws so many INTs. He couldn't read post snap.... the ball was going wherever he thought it should when he walked up to the line.

I think it is disrespectful to Fitz (a guy who can play) to compare him to Peterman (a guy who at the NFL level simply can't).

3 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Right, but it goes back to the Chris Ballard argument from last season.  If you trade back in the draft, you lose out on a “premium pick.”  So if you trade back, you have to consider what you’re missing out on by doing so.  Basically the return has to be excellent, unless you don’t rank any top prospects 

Ballard went from #3 to #6 in a draft where if you weren't after a QB there were 4 or 5 blue chippers. His calculated gamble was more than 1 of the first 5 picks would be a Quarterback.

At #9 you are probably too far back for a blue chipper anyway.... though who knows.... maybe Ed Oliver's behaviour makes him slide. If he is on the board at #9 I'm picking him. The Bills likely wouldn't though.

6 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

If you're fine with the TV Broadcasts rather than All-22, there is a ton of Daniel Jones film out there; maybe more than any other QB. You can literally find almost any of his games from the past three seasons.

I don't think his ceiling is as high as Haskins and Lock, but I think he's the only QB I'd feel comfortable starting right away.

Cool. TV is fine. I haven't started my going back through yet - that will be in the next few weeks so at the moment everything I think on QBs is just based on watching live games (without going back and analysing) and I haven't seen Duke this year.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Solid pass on him at this point.  Just don't trust tOSU QB's, though they play in a real division and not a watered down SEC or ACC.  I think the kid is talented but lacks what ya need for a real chance at the NFL.

The difference with Haskins and the other osu qbs that enter the nfl is that he’s a pro-style pocket passer, he’s been coached by Ryan Day, and he doesn’t need to be in perfect technique to deliver the football accurately. He is pretty evolved for having only 14 starts. He’s so bright and mature as well, he will nail the team interviews. I think he’s a top 10 pick and could go top 5. He could use more seasoning, but would be crazy to come back. Similar to Trubisky’s situation a few years ago. Says he’s 50-50 right now but no one expects him back. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The difference with Haskins and the other osu qbs that enter the nfl is that he’s a pro-style pocket passer, he’s been coached by Ryan Day, and he doesn’t need to be in perfect technique to deliver the football accurately. He is pretty evolved for having only 14 starts. He’s so bright and mature as well, he will nail the team interviews. I think he’s a top 10 pick and could go top 5. He could use more seasoning, but would be crazy to come back. Similar to Trubisky’s situation a few years ago. Says he’s 50-50 right now but no one expects him back. 

agree there is nothing to benefit from him going back to Ohio St.

He should be the top quarterback in this years class with Herbert staying in school.   The mechanics guys will be all over him, saw how well that argument worked with Rosen last year.  He is the most gifted at the position and did a great job this year.   People have him ranked in the #50s right now, but if I had to bet he will be the guy who rockets up the board in the next few months like he was some well kept secret.  The thing that worries me is lack of experience, but someone has to be QB1.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

agree there is nothing to benefit from him going back to Ohio St.

If he could land in a situation like Mahomes did, where he can develop for another year behind a vet on a stacked offensive team, that would be ideal. Giants with another year of Eli? He could fall into playing with Saquon and OBJ. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.