Star Lotuleilei has played like a star of late

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2018/12/27/18155883/all-22-analysis-where-was-star-lotulelei-run-stuffing-defensive-tackle-vs-new-england-patriots

I have been like a yo-yo when it comes to Star. First I thought he got fair money in his contract. Then during the first few games I believed we overpaid for him. Now, given his play of late, I am fine with his contract.

Here’s All-22 analysis of Star vs. Pats. But he was underused a bit by Leslie, who was too focused on stopping Brady.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

Is this star visible with the naked eye or do I need the Hubble telescope?

I kid.. I kid...

Like I said when this was first posted a few days ago, he is here on big money for the next two years so I suggest we all settle in and hope we get used to seeing him sparkle a lot in the meantime

Edited by Aussie Joe

I read that post when it was first written.  Weak attempt, IMO, at making Star seem like he was concentrated on by the Pats.  He got owned one on one, was totally out of position and was not a force that needed to be double teamed.  He couldn't shed a block in that game and it was down right embarrassing.  

I see him as an awful interior lineman and it has nothing to do with how much we're paying him.  He does not take up two blockers consistently and does not create for our LB's.  He does very very little well. 

• Like (+1) 2

I was pleasantly surprised. After all, his job is not to penetrate and make plays, but to tie up blockers so the LB's behind him can make plays. In order to take full advantage of him, however, young T Edmunds must step up his run defense and tackling in year 2. He has a lot of work to do in that department, but he certainly has the physical tools. His football IQ, on the other hand, is lacking. Star is giving him every advantage.

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2018/12/27/18155883/all-22-analysis-where-was-star-lotulelei-run-stuffing-defensive-tackle-vs-new-england-patriots

I have been like a yo-yo when it comes to Star. First I thought he got fair money in his contract. Then during the first few games I believed we overpaid for him. Now, given his play of late, I am fine with his contract.

Here’s All-22 analysis of Star vs. Pats. But he was underused a bit by Leslie, who was too focused on stopping Brady.

So is the article including pumping up Brady.

And just like he always does, Tom Brady tore apart the Bills with his arm going 12-for-24, for 126 yards. He had one touchdown through the air and two interceptions.

2 interceptions and 50% completion rate. Any Bills QB who did that would get bashed by the media and the Sally Downer fans.   

I’m honestly in shock how much attention star and that contract get on this board. 

Of course they overpaid for him. I don’t think anyone is arguing that fact. They trust him. They know him. They paid him above market value to come here. We don’t know his leadership qualities in the locker room or if he’s super smart in the film room.. holds guys accountable etc etc. It’s hard to define his effect on games. I do think it’s easy to tell when he has bad plays or bad games. I just never understood why his contract was so obsessed over. It doesn’t hurt us the next couple years and it was a very low risk signing since they were so familiar with him. 

10 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I’m honestly in shock how much attention star and that contract get on this board. 

Of course they overpaid for him. I don’t think anyone is arguing that fact. They trust him. They know him. They paid him above market value to come here. We don’t know his leadership qualities in the locker room or if he’s super smart in the film room.. holds guys accountable etc etc. It’s hard to define his effect on games. I do think it’s easy to tell when he has bad plays or bad games. I just never understood why his contract was so obsessed over. It doesn’t hurt us the next couple years and it was a very low risk signing since they were so familiar with him. 

I’m completely on board with you but I listen to Beane saying how “judicious” he will be in FA this off season and think of Star’s contract with a smile on my face..

If Allen develops how we hope he might then the Super Bowl window might be open for business in 2020 which will be Year 3 on his rookie contract so this off season might be the time acquire a couple of high priced OL free agents.

Give them 2019 to gel with Dawkins, Teller and new TE and who knows?

McBeane have been telling us they have a plan right?

Edited by Aussie Joe

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

So is the article including pumping up Brady.

2 interceptions and 50% completion rate. Any Bills QB who did that would get bashed by the media and the Sally Downer fans.   

The author is joking there Limeaid by arguing the running game had nothing to do with the Pats game.

His past 5 games have been his best, no doubt. His first 6 games of this season he was hopeless frankly. He looked unfit to me early in the year. Of course he is always going to be a "big" guy it is important the position he plays.... but he looked out of shape early in the year and I think there has been a noticeable change.

45 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Supposed to be a run stuffing DT.. we’ll be sucks at that.  Big whif of a signing 

Well, no. First off, that's a gross oversimplification. One reason I always heard cited for the signing was to clog up the middle so that the opposing QB could not step into short passes easily. We here would often grouse about passes to tight ends. This year we were among the best teams for stopping tight ends.

Furthermore, we went from 26 to 2 (and one mayfield pass from 1st) in total defense and allowed 15 fewer yards rushing a game than last year, fwiw.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, White Linen said:

I read that post when it was first written.  Weak attempt, IMO, at making Star seem like he was concentrated on by the Pats.  He got owned one on one, was totally out of position and was not a force that needed to be double teamed.  He couldn't shed a block in that game and it was down right embarrassing.  

I see him as an awful interior lineman and it has nothing to do with how much we're paying him.  He does not take up two blockers consistently and does not create for our LB's.  He does very very little well. 

I have to wonder if this article was written by Star's agent? 

Look at play #4

Two things jump out on this play. The first is noted in the GIF. The Patriots have seemingly planned specifically for Lotulelei. The hand-off pushing out to the side a little with the blocker making a beeline right for Star is suspicious after the linemen let him through. The second thing to notice is how quickly Lotulelei reacts to the hand-off. He’s initially looking to hit Brady, but is starting to change immediately.

What jumped out to me was Star getting dominated 1 on 1 by a fullback and the Patriots running it 12 yards straight at him. 

Star is a pretty bad contract any way you slice it. Generally speaking you have to overpay to get a UFA signing, but Star never should've been paid over 8 mil AAV. Snacks Harrison makes less than Star and he's actually a really good run stuffing DT. 

Star is a rotational space eater that doesn't make much of an impact. I want more from the highest paid player on the team. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Well, no. First off, that's a gross oversimplification. One reason I always heard cited for the signing was to clog up the middle so that the opposing QB could not step into short passes easily. We here would often grouse about passes to tight ends. This year we were among the best teams for stopping tight ends.

Furthermore, we went from 26 to 2 (and one mayfield pass from 1st) in total defense and allowed 15 fewer yards rushing a game than last year, fwiw.

The defense was middle of the road in rushing yards and points per game. 30th in red zone scoring to top it off. I think they get way too much credit for being a league leader when it comes to yards given up because our special teams sucks and teams often have a shorter field to go. That might be a reason for the poor stats or it might just be covering up some very real issues for the defense. Either way, teams can still routinely run it right up the middle and run the same plays over and over without being stopped.

He's overpaid by a couple million a year, with that said he does play an important role and teams do game plan around him.  WIthout doubt he played a major part in why the Bills went from the bottom of the league last year in Run defense to better than average.    

Not sold on him, yet.  But no where near ready to give up on him. The one resolution I have in 2019 is to get back to liking the NFL. I want to watch more film, pay attention to games, and dissect it like I used to do.

I didn't watch many games on TV, maybe a total of 5.  I watched the first half and left for the Chargers game.  So, I can't say in full confidence anything about our DL other than we have all taken our DL for granted for a long time. Many teams would kill to have Lawson or Hughes. Many would dream of Kyle Williams or Harrison. Many wouldn't understand Star Latatatwowee. 

We have had a good thing for a while. But, it needs to be better and LB is a big part of those big uglies up front.

30 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I have to wonder if this article was written by Star's agent? 

Look at play #4

Two things jump out on this play. The first is noted in the GIF. The Patriots have seemingly planned specifically for Lotulelei. The hand-off pushing out to the side a little with the blocker making a beeline right for Star is suspicious after the linemen let him through. The second thing to notice is how quickly Lotulelei reacts to the hand-off. He’s initially looking to hit Brady, but is starting to change immediately.

What jumped out to me was Star getting dominated 1 on 1 by a fullback and the Patriots running it 12 yards straight at him. 

Star is a pretty bad contract any way you slice it. Generally speaking you have to overpay to get a UFA signing, but Star never should've been paid over 8 mil AAV. Snacks Harrison makes less than Star and he's actually a really good run stuffing DT. 

Star is a rotational space eater that doesn't make much of an impact. I want more from the highest paid player on the team. 

It seemed like when we were in goal line situations this year the other team ran it right at Star. You would think that The Carolina pipe line would've been shut down but it looks like it is stronger than ever.