How Much Pressure Was Doug Whaley Under To Win?

Funny for Beane to repeat the drafting for need being a back breaker when he traded up for a LBer when the next LBer drafted is better and the guy that went in the second is an all pro this year.  

I agree with him but his actions don't really match up with his words here. 

I think he was a horrible hire, going right along with his pal Buddy Nix. 

I couldn't stand either of the two, they were both very pompous, in my opinion.

Sure, Whaley made some good moves, but, most of on here could have done the same. 

His misses hurt more than his hits helped the team, and the Watkins trade will go down as one of the worst trades in league history.

Glad he's gone, we were never going to win with him. And, the mess he made of the salary cap tells you all you need to know.

You wonder where the team would be had they not hired Nix, who I always felt was a bumbling bafoon. It's been discusses here adnaseum here, but his miss on Russel Wilson really set the team back. 

And to pass on a high rated quarterback, and take a wide receiver is simply ludicrous. But, "Ryan is our guy." 

Just typing this pisses me off. Nix and Whaley both sucked.

I agree....the Nix hire really pissed me off.  It was clear the Bills needed a real GM.  Rather than conducting a legit search, the just gave the job to Buddy who was like a 70 year consultant.  They literally scanned a list of names - terrible

1 minute ago, harv shitz said:

You wonder where the team would be had they not hired Nix, who I always felt was a bumbling bafoon. It's been discusses here adnaseum here, but his miss on Russel Wilson really set the team back. 

And to pass on a high rated quarterback, and take a wide receiver is simply ludicrous. But, "Ryan is our guy." 

Just typing this pisses me off. Nix and Whaley both sucked.

I remember hearing an interview with Ralph, who commented, I am paraphrasing a bit, "the problem with other guys, I didn't know any of them, and Russ didn't know them either."

That's how Nix ended up in the job. 

Brilliance. Hiring Marv as GM was just as bad.......

14 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Someone in the NFL under pressure to win? Goodness, we should hire him back and let him know that he doesn't need to win and give him a blankie so he can take frequent naps. 

You do a very good job at incorrectly over simplifying a situation.  Either that or do you don’t legit understand.

Some GM’s (like Beane) are given more time and patience to develop a winning team.  Others are expected to win immediately.  The question is, was a GM like Beane have more patience than Whaley who seemed to be very desperate to win

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:01 PM, BillyWhiteShows said:

Listening to the Brandon Beane press conference this morning, I caught Beane indirectly insult Whaley.

You must have heard incorrectly.  No one would need to insult Whaley indirectly.

On 1/1/2019 at 9:53 PM, formerlyofCtown said:

I think Whaley had coaches that were not his choice forced on him.  I also believe Whaley wanted to take a QB in 2017 but was overruled.  I know he was high on several of them Trubisky and Watson to name two.  I have always suspected that Anthony Lynn was his choice for HC not McD.  It was also evident from the beginning Rex was not his guy.

I agree with this- DW liked to spend money on Dline and Rex needed LBs. They had different visions. I think it was Bill Parcells who said something like "do not expect me to cook the meal without allowing me to choose the ingredients".

On 1/6/2019 at 8:13 AM, BillyWhiteShows said:

You do a very good job at incorrectly over simplifying a situation.  Either that or do you don’t legit understand.

Some GM’s (like Beane) are given more time and patience to develop a winning team.  Others are expected to win immediately.  The question is, was a GM like Beane have more patience than Whaley who seemed to be very desperate to win

Some people aren't under any pressure at all to put together a complete sentence. 

On 1/1/2019 at 11:40 PM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think the key in all of this was Whaley didn’t have the whole scope/vision of what a GM had to do. First he was never the face of the franchise, Russ was, then Marrone. He didn’t pick any of the three coaches (Gailey, Marrone or Rex - Pegula’s fell in love with him). I don’t think the upper management ever really gave him 100% control of the organization on the football side. 

Two, in those days Overdorf managed all the contracts, Whaley had no say in any of that. He didn’t know the in and out. Whaley existed in the final days of the Ralph Wilson dysfunction with Littman, Russ, Berchold, Overdorf, and then new ownership came in and he was forced down another peg. 

This is so spot on.

The post Mularkey era was peak walking corpse level Ralph. Not to denigrate the man's frailty, more so symptomatic of an unwillingness to address the future of his team while he was alive and more capable of making decisions.

So in walk Ralph's cadre of self-interested sycophants, eager to absolve themselves of any blame for the team's many failures while also somehow remain employed at executive level income. 

It frustrates me that to this day, we still don't honestly know who made what terrible decisions.

Who traded Jason Peters?  Was it Russ Brandon? Or Jim Overdorf? 

Who drafted Aaron Maybin? Was it Jauron, Modrak? 

The team was either incapable or incompetent in their ability to explain who is in power, with what responsibilities, and with whom they report. Modrak, Guy, Overdorf, Brandon, Berchtold. Who are these people, what are their qualifications, and why do they work for you, Ralph?

This remains a great scar on Wilson's legacy, and the team remains weak at several positions because of damaging decisions from over a decade ago.

The Bills traded a Hall of Fame left tackle in the prime of his career who IS STILL PLAYING AT AN ELITE LEVEL NOW.

On 1/5/2019 at 4:37 AM, BillsFan1988 said:

The thing is Beane is already on track with the bad contracts.

5yrs 55mil Star 

3yrs 21mil Murphy

1yr 5mil Vontae

With the resources Beane had to work with last offseason looks like he didnt do a great job at all with the money.

Those aren't exactly cap-killer contracts.  They are low enough that they are worth the risk.  

1 minute ago, Peevo said:

This is so spot on.

The post Mularkey era was peak walking corpse level Ralph. Not to denigrate the man's frailty, more so symptomatic of an unwillingness to address the future of his team while he was alive and more capable of making decisions.

So in walk Ralph's cadre of self-interested sycophants, eager to absolve themselves of any blame for the team's many failures while also somehow remain employed at executive level income. 

It frustrates me that to this day, we still don't honestly know who made what terrible decisions.

Who traded Jason Peters?  Was it Russ Brandon? Or Jim Overdorf? 

Who drafted Aaron Maybin? Was it Jauron, Modrak? 

The team was either incapable or incompetent in their ability to explain who is in power, with what responsibilities, and with whom they report. Modrak, Guy, Overdorf, Brandon, Berchtold. Who are these people, what are their qualifications, and why do they work for you, Ralph?

This remains a great scar on Wilson's legacy, and the team remains weak at several positions because of damaging decisions from over a decade ago.

The Bills traded a Hall of Fame left tackle in the prime of his career who IS STILL PLAYING AT AN ELITE LEVEL NOW.

Agreed 100%.  But you also don’t take into account the effect that Dick Jauron had on football decisions.  Without a true GM and non-football people making decisions, I am sure that Jauron was leaned on for input on player personnel and drafting 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/1/2019 at 11:40 PM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

So I think Nix was phased out and Whaley was thrust out of training and into the contrasting role of fresh, new, young GM. And with his first move he immediately over-drafted a marginal college QB. 

That move immediately backfired, EJ was not good. And so he went all in on EJ. Trading up, drafting Sammy, Karlos Williams, spending money. 

Great post.  Nix backed Whaley into a corner who had no choice but to draft EJ in 2013.  Whaley's downfall, IMO, was sticking with and trying to prop up EJ for too long.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Great post.  Nix backed Whaley into a corner who had no choice but to draft EJ in 2013.  Whaley's downfall, IMO, was sticking with and trying to prop up EJ for too long.

I never got the stuck with EJ too long stuff. He thought EJ was poorly coached (he was) and didn’t want to give up on a 1st round pick he believed could be the guy.  He consistently brought in other qbs.  And in the three man competition, EJ had an awesome preseason.

i believe without a doubt that Whaley and McDermott would have been a nice combo.  SM basically is free to do whatever he wants.

39 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I never got the stuck with EJ too long stuff. He thought EJ was poorly coached (he was) and didn’t want to give up on a 1st round pick he believed could be the guy.  He consistently brought in other qbs.  And in the three man competition, EJ had an awesome preseason.

i believe without a doubt that Whaley and McDermott would have been a nice combo.  SM basically is free to do whatever he wants.

Nate Peterman had an awesome preseason and you know the rest of the story.  I get what you're saying about bringing in other QBs, Whaley brought in Kevin Kolb (floor mat concussion) and then Kyle Orton the next year, followed by Tyrod.  Marrone and Hackett did a poor job of coaching EJ; agreed.  I remember Mayock saying in the 2013 draft that EJ was like a piece of clay that needed to be molded, though ended up getting molded into some odd, unidentifiable shape.  Bottom line is EJ would have been maybe a 4th round pick in a decent year for QBs and Whaley had to know that.  Assuming Whaley knew that, he probably should have tried again in 2014 rather than giving up too much for Sammy Watkins. 

I agree that Whaley and McDermott would have made a good combo.  Whaley found some real diamonds in the rough on the pro personnel side.  It's McD and Beane now, so I'm rooting for them to finish building the team they envision that will win.