BillyWhiteShows

How Much Pressure Was Doug Whaley Under To Win?

On 1/2/2019 at 12:45 AM, Protocal69 said:

Oh how people really forgot. When Nix/Whaley took over we probability had the worst roster in the league ,to the point where head coaching candidates did not even want to interview for the position. Whaley was aggressive to bring in talent. It did not work out but I respect it. The only thing that I didnt like was how he did Fred Jackson at the end. Definitely would not have hurt for him to go out the same way Kyle Williams did .

BTW way it could be said that the roster that Beane/McDermott inherited was so good that even after they got rid of everyone and added a couple of pieces to fit the scheme it was still good enough to make the playoffs and only lost by a score 

“Some Bills fans love to rewrite history”

BillyWhiteShows

7 minutes ago, CookieG said:

Not too sure a GM who took a team's offense from 10th in scoring to 30th in scoring should really be taking shots at another GM, whether directly or indirectly.

Context is king my friend.

18 hours ago, T master said:

I agree Whaley when paired with McD had a great draft & i think if he would have had someone like that prior to McD's hiring as a HC he would have done much better & had a number of better players drafted by him to show for his time ! 

But given that every HC that got hired while he was the GM had such a different plan & the Pegs swinging for the fences with the Rex hire i think helped to put Whaley in a spot where the pressure was a lot more than normal then you add Brandon in the mix & that was a terrible addition to what was going on !! 

Whaley was a wheeler dealer & if paired with others that could have given him a better path due to him being a rookie GM i think he could do a much better job than he did but the incompetence that surrounded him didn't help him or the Bills at all especially when it came to writing contracts thank goodness for Bean in that department !!

The thing is Beane is already on track with the bad contracts.

5yrs 55mil Star 

3yrs 21mil Murphy

1yr 5mil Vontae

With the resources Beane had to work with last offseason looks like he didnt do a great job at all with the money.

Typical.  All the Whaley supporters... all the good picks and signings were all Doug Whaley.  All the bad picks and signings were all Nix/Rex/Brandon/Overdorf.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Typical.  All the Whaley supporters... all the good picks and signings were all Doug Whaley.  All the bad picks and signings were all Nix/Rex/Brandon/Overdorf.

They were a team.

Bm9dUEvCIAANqUR.jpg?resize=600,399&ssl=1

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think Whaley did as well as he could have in the absence of a cohesive philosophy on how to build a team. When you change coaches as often as you change socks there is no player type that you draft for because your organization is always in crisis. 

6 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Absolutely.  Right out of the Whaley supporter playbook

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

I think Whaley did as well as he could have in the absence of a cohesive philosophy on how to build a team. When you change coaches as often as you change socks there is no player type that you draft for because your organization is always in crisis. 

So Whaley had no idea how to build a team?  Right I agree.  He’s where he belongs....in the XFL 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

So Whaley had no idea how to build a team?  Right I agree.  He’s where he belongs....in the XFL 

That's not going to last with Vince McMahon. Judging by his press conferences, Whaley couldn't cut a promo to save his life.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Rico said:

They were a team.

Bm9dUEvCIAANqUR.jpg?resize=600,399&ssl=1

Reporter:  Doug, who chose the toppings for that pizza?

Doug:  I think of it like this, it was a Buffalo Bills pick

Edited by BillyWhiteShows
  • Like (+1) 1

Different GMs, different philosophies.   No less, no more.   Doug thought he was close so he was aggressive.  Beane didn't see that and felt he needs to build his way.  Each can work, each can fail.

On 1/1/2019 at 8:35 PM, CaptnCoke11 said:

Gonna be lots of pissy people here when he doesn’t blow all the cap on free agents 

Can’t start breaking the bank until the team proves it’s a winner...then you go all in.

Funny for Beane to repeat the drafting for need being a back breaker when he traded up for a LBer when the next LBer drafted is better and the guy that went in the second is an all pro this year.  

I agree with him but his actions don't really match up with his words here. 

I think he was a horrible hire, going right along with his pal Buddy Nix. 

I couldn't stand either of the two, they were both very pompous, in my opinion.

Sure, Whaley made some good moves, but, most of on here could have done the same. 

His misses hurt more than his hits helped the team, and the Watkins trade will go down as one of the worst trades in league history.

Glad he's gone, we were never going to win with him. And, the mess he made of the salary cap tells you all you need to know.

16 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Whaley was a trash can GM who was widely loved here for bizarre reasons.

Well, I don’t think he was very good and would agree that for some reason Doug has his defenders among the fan base

You wonder where the team would be had they not hired Nix, who I always felt was a bumbling bafoon. It's been discusses here adnaseum here, but his miss on Russel Wilson really set the team back. 

And to pass on a high rated quarterback, and take a wide receiver is simply ludicrous. But, "Ryan is our guy." 

Just typing this pisses me off. Nix and Whaley both sucked.

I agree....the Nix hire really pissed me off.  It was clear the Bills needed a real GM.  Rather than conducting a legit search, the just gave the job to Buddy who was like a 70 year consultant.  They literally scanned a list of names - terrible

1 minute ago, harv shitz said:

You wonder where the team would be had they not hired Nix, who I always felt was a bumbling bafoon. It's been discusses here adnaseum here, but his miss on Russel Wilson really set the team back. 

And to pass on a high rated quarterback, and take a wide receiver is simply ludicrous. But, "Ryan is our guy." 

Just typing this pisses me off. Nix and Whaley both sucked.

I remember hearing an interview with Ralph, who commented, I am paraphrasing a bit, "the problem with other guys, I didn't know any of them, and Russ didn't know them either."

That's how Nix ended up in the job. 

Brilliance. Hiring Marv as GM was just as bad.......

Someone in the NFL under pressure to win? Goodness, we should hire him back and let him know that he doesn't need to win and give him a blankie so he can take frequent naps. 

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Someone in the NFL under pressure to win? Goodness, we should hire him back and let him know that he doesn't need to win and give him a blankie so he can take frequent naps. 

You do a very good job at incorrectly over simplifying a situation.  Either that or do you don’t legit understand.

Some GM’s (like Beane) are given more time and patience to develop a winning team.  Others are expected to win immediately.  The question is, was a GM like Beane have more patience than Whaley who seemed to be very desperate to win

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:01 PM, BillyWhiteShows said:

Listening to the Brandon Beane press conference this morning, I caught Beane indirectly insult Whaley.

You must have heard incorrectly.  No one would need to insult Whaley indirectly.

When it comes to a GM, he stunk about as bad as the stalls in old Ralph Wilson Stadium in the early 1990’s.  If you’ve had to go #2 in those stalls, you know what I mean

On 1/1/2019 at 9:53 PM, formerlyofCtown said:

I think Whaley had coaches that were not his choice forced on him.  I also believe Whaley wanted to take a QB in 2017 but was overruled.  I know he was high on several of them Trubisky and Watson to name two.  I have always suspected that Anthony Lynn was his choice for HC not McD.  It was also evident from the beginning Rex was not his guy.

I agree with this- DW liked to spend money on Dline and Rex needed LBs. They had different visions. I think it was Bill Parcells who said something like "do not expect me to cook the meal without allowing me to choose the ingredients".

On 1/6/2019 at 8:13 AM, BillyWhiteShows said:

You do a very good job at incorrectly over simplifying a situation.  Either that or do you don’t legit understand.

Some GM’s (like Beane) are given more time and patience to develop a winning team.  Others are expected to win immediately.  The question is, was a GM like Beane have more patience than Whaley who seemed to be very desperate to win

Some people aren't under any pressure at all to put together a complete sentence. 

On 1/1/2019 at 11:40 PM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think the key in all of this was Whaley didn’t have the whole scope/vision of what a GM had to do. First he was never the face of the franchise, Russ was, then Marrone. He didn’t pick any of the three coaches (Gailey, Marrone or Rex - Pegula’s fell in love with him). I don’t think the upper management ever really gave him 100% control of the organization on the football side. 

Two, in those days Overdorf managed all the contracts, Whaley had no say in any of that. He didn’t know the in and out. Whaley existed in the final days of the Ralph Wilson dysfunction with Littman, Russ, Berchold, Overdorf, and then new ownership came in and he was forced down another peg. 

This is so spot on.

The post Mularkey era was peak walking corpse level Ralph. Not to denigrate the man's frailty, more so symptomatic of an unwillingness to address the future of his team while he was alive and more capable of making decisions.

So in walk Ralph's cadre of self-interested sycophants, eager to absolve themselves of any blame for the team's many failures while also somehow remain employed at executive level income. 

It frustrates me that to this day, we still don't honestly know who made what terrible decisions.

Who traded Jason Peters?  Was it Russ Brandon? Or Jim Overdorf? 

Who drafted Aaron Maybin? Was it Jauron, Modrak? 

The team was either incapable or incompetent in their ability to explain who is in power, with what responsibilities, and with whom they report. Modrak, Guy, Overdorf, Brandon, Berchtold. Who are these people, what are their qualifications, and why do they work for you, Ralph?

This remains a great scar on Wilson's legacy, and the team remains weak at several positions because of damaging decisions from over a decade ago.

The Bills traded a Hall of Fame left tackle in the prime of his career who IS STILL PLAYING AT AN ELITE LEVEL NOW.