Bills fire OL Coach Juan Castillo

YoloinOhio

26 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don't rejoice too much when anyone gets the sack... that guy had to be working his tail off with all the practice squad and 1 year players.

That being said, there were too many undisciplined penalties, and I thought Dawkins regressed a bit from his solid play last year - some of that could have been losing a veteran guard playing next to him. Richie is crazy, but knew how to play that position.

McD says that each year they review the play of the coaches to see if it is an area that can be improved. I don't think they let anyone go unless they have an upgrade in their sites.

Crossman's unit cost us more than a few games, if there is a more promising ST coach out there he could be next... I saw some posts seeming to indicate this has already happened. If it has, I hope they grab the ST coaches from the Jets, those guys did a good job of turning that unit around and should be available with Bowles getting canned.

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

OK.  Fine.

He's not the whole problem, and if the BIlls front office thinks so.we are in for another year of worst O-line in the NFL>

Why on earth would the Bills FO think he was the whole problem?

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

OK.  Fine.

He's not the whole problem, and if the BIlls front office thinks so.we are in for another year of worst O-line in the NFL>

In what world do you get the impression that the Bills front office thinks Castillo was entirely to blame for the OLine? He was a step down from Kromer, and we need talent. No one is claiming otherwise with regard to the latter. 

• Like (+1) 5

You have to think that McD would do this only if there was someone available that he was interested in.  With all of the head coaches fired recently, I would expect the new o-line coach to be coming from one of those teams.

27 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Daboll kept the entire O staff except for Phil McGeoghan.  I hope they allow at least this hire and a real QB coach.

Allen seems to be developing well.  What makes you say that other than his past experience as a WR coach.  I care about the present and the results not the past.

Another name is Corey Matthaei

Assistant Oline coach under Andy Reid in KC the past couple seasons. Prior to that was assistant QB coach.

Has been with Andy Reid since 2006 and worked with McDermott for a few years in Philadelphia.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

A good coach doesn't rely on "big names", but works with what he is given.  What happens when these "big names" go down with injuries?  The wheels of great teams don't fall off.

Look what the Pats Oline coach did for years with what ever homeless person they found on the streets of Boston.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, jahnyc said:

You have to think that McD would do this only if there was someone available that he was interested in.  With all of the head coaches fired recently, I would expect the new o-line coach to be coming from one of those teams.

Except some teams reserve the rights of those coaches until they hire a new head coach and head coach decides which to keep and which to dump.  Every team has good coaches who should not lose jobs and be paid to not work just because head coach is fired.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, CookieG said:

He was part of the problem, but the far larger problem was the lack of talent.

Guys like Vlad, Newhouse and Bodine were bad before they ever got here.

That's on McBeane.

Castillo was also Run Game Coordinator

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, CookieG said:

I don't mind that he's fired...Baltimore seemed happy to rid themselves of him.

I just don't want Beane saying something like "let's see how these guys do with a different coach" or something as ridiculous.

I don't see it like that. I think it's more "Any position that can be upgraded will be upgraded, including the coaches." We'll see position upgrades too.

Edited by WhoTom

I try not to rejoice at another man's suffering but I think it was justified. I too didn't think much of the talent but the run game was awful all year (except for Allen). It never looked like they knew what to do to make it better. I think starting over, drafting an O lineman and signing a free agent to bolster it and re-thinking the approach is wise.

• Like (+1) 6

16 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Good move albeit two years too late. Should never have been hired in the first place. But an important step in revamping this offense. His replacement will be another important step. They need to kill this hire, because he is going to start from scratch with a lot of new bodies and several different things to put together, both in the run game and pass game. 

It's a good start though. 

That's one school of thought. Most theologians would say, however, if there was he would never have been hired. 

"I will have mercy on who I have mercy on"

-God sometime BC

14 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I don't rejoice too much when anyone gets the sack... that guy had to be working his tail off with all the practice squad and 1 year players.

That being said, there were too many undisciplined penalties, and I thought Dawkins regressed a bit from his solid play last year - some of that could have been losing a veteran guard playing next to him. Richie is crazy, but knew how to play that position.

McD says that each year they review the play of the coaches to see if it is an area that can be improved. I don't think they let anyone go unless they have an upgrade in their sites.

Crossman's unit cost us more than a few games, if there is a more promising ST coach out there he could be next... I saw some posts seeming to indicate this has already happened. If it has, I hope they grab the ST coaches from the Jets, those guys did a good job of turning that unit around and should be available with Bowles getting canned.

McD brought up ST play being unacceptable several times during the season.