Bills fire OL Coach Juan Castillo

YoloinOhio

13 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Did they not think of his family and how he will feed them first?

LOL....just a hunch but i think these guys get paid abit above the minimum wage standards.....

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

They also made poor decisions that caused the lack of cap space as well

They were both very careful in their end of season pressers to refer explicitly to "the situation that they inherited". You have to remind yourself that situation was a team that over the preceding 3 seasons was exactly .500. I don't hate the way they have gone about this tear down - the test is in the rebuild - but they certainly like to spin the narrative that this was the only way they could possibly have gone and everything that has held them back to this point is on what went before.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I'm just wondering, when you say, "they", to whom are you referring?

Whomever decide to take cap hits for McCarron and Coleman...among others...going to assume it was the GM...I know there were bad contracts before Beane arrived as well....

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

They were both very careful in their end of season pressers to refer explicitly to "the situation that they inherited". You have to remind yourself that situation was a team that over the preceding 3 seasons was exactly .500. I don't hate the way they have gone about this tear down - the test is in the rebuild - but they certainly like to spin the narrative that this was the only way they could possibly have gone and everything that has held them back to this point is on what went before.

I agree... they had bad contracts when they arrived but also made a few bad decisions.

1 minute ago, nucci said:

Whomever decide to take cap hits for McCarron and Coleman...among others...going to assume it was the GM...I know there were bad contracts before Beane arrived as well....

Yeah, because McCarron and Coleman didn't count for much of the dead Cap. I realize it's a factor, but those came AFTER all the FA period was done and the Bills were rolling into the regular season. 

Whaley and his Cap Jail is what created the limited availability of options. Incognito and Wood retiring exacerbated that problem due to the accelerated Cap hits on their sudden retirements, when the plan was most likely to take the Cap hits in 2018 but they initially believed they'd have both to anchor that line. Now, if that happened this year - I'd agree there's no excuse for not finding suitable replacements because they'll have A TON of Cap space to work with and those hits would not have prohibited the Bills for paying for good value. 

So, we'll see how Beane handles this Off-season. But regardless of what comes for Opening Day, I'll reserve judgment until a quarter of the way through the season to think he did well, meh, or horrible. Because as we've seen, there are guys where most fans (including me), say, "Who?" when they get a guy and he turns out to be decent to very good. 

He should have been fired a lot sooner IMO.  The offensive line looked lost in preseason and the first half of the season and that's on the coaching.

I know the OL did not have All-Pro talent this year but in many of those early games the OL performed poorly because they were often not where they should have been and that's a fundamental lack of understanding the where/why/how of the play.  

These unit coaches need to be great teachers and communicators. 

I hope Robiskie and Crossman are next.  Same problem.  

11 hours ago, peterpan said:

whomever is the Pats OL coach, bring him in and pay him triple to move here. 

Very true, whomever that guy is he taught the Pats O-Line how to hold without getting flagged. Out of all the different techniques a O-Lineman uses that one might be the most valuable.

9 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m glad you’re not my dad!  

They got it right, eventually. Sometimes you don’t get it right the first time around. I’m glad they corrected it. I refuse to make myself miserable about it. 

Who they hire next? Well, there’s the important question. Don’t keep making the same mistakes over and over. 

Time to play "6 degrees of McBeane" to find out which former coach is hired from a Carolina or Philly connection. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dpberr said:

He should have been fired a lot sooner IMO.  The offensive line looked lost in preseason and the first half of the season and that's on the coaching.

I know the OL did not have All-Pro talent this year but in many of those early games the OL performed poorly because they were often not where they should have been and that's a fundamental lack of understanding the where/why/how of the play.  

He should have been fired last year. There seems to be, in this thread, a tone of "but they lost Wood, Glenn and Incognito and that wasn't his fault..."

Okay. Now remember he was not only OL coach but also the "run game coordinator." Now explain going from the best rushing offense in 2015 and 2016 to average in 2017 to putrid in 2018. Explain John Miller and Ryan Groy looking competent in the Kromer/Roman scheme and trainwrecks with Castillo. It wasn't just a one year slide, and shoehorning guys into your scheme despite and awful fit isn't the sign of a good coach. Sorry, but it is what it is. Considering he and McDermott go WAY back during their Eagles days, it's obvious McDermott felt the same way.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, nucci said:

I agree... they had bad contracts when they arrived but also made a few bad decisions.

This gets thrown around a lot, which were the "bad" contracts?

Dareus? I mean if you think that's a bad contract, what about the one they gave to Star to essentially replace him? That wasn't about getting rid of the contract that was about getting in a "process" player. This wasn't a "bad" contract and certainly isn't any worse for what they replaced it with.

Glenn? If they waited another year, which who doesn't think they couldn't use Glenn on that line this year, they could have got out with $0 dead cap. This was about getting the ammunition to move up and grab players in the draft. This wasn't a "bad" contract.

Tyrod? The $7mm dead cap isn't massive to me for a place holder QB. I wouldn't exactly call that "bad" but maybe there's an argument.

Eric Wood? I mean they didn't really have a choice with that one.

Those contracts make up the vast majority of the dead cap money that the Bills were saddled with in 2018. And as you've said they've made some pretty poor decisions in the personnel department too.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Robiskie has been the best WR coach we have had in ages. Foster and Zay have turned into nice players. That's you want your positional coaches doing, developing young kids. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Say more....how do you know that (Roman I believe we're talking about?)

I was pretty widely reported at the time. The Pegulas called a players only meeting without the coaching staff the day after the TNF beatdown by the Jets that left us 0-2. The conclusion of which was they told Rex that they thought Greg Roman should be fired. Rex had already had the warning about is job by that time and as a result he probably knew that if he refused he would be following Roman down the road.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I was pretty widely reported at the time. The Pegulas called a players only meeting without the coaching staff the day after the TNF beatdown by the Jets that left us 0-2. The conclusion of which was they told Rex that they thought Greg Roman should be fired. Rex had already had the warning about is job by that time and as a result he probably knew that if he refused he would be following Roman down the road.

I knew about the players' only meeting but I didn't remember any reporting about the outcome being "fire Roman".  Talk about the inmates running the asylum.