Bills fire OL Coach Juan Castillo

YoloinOhio

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't know what quality of coach Ray Brown is but he was definitely one of the most remarkable and talented OG's in NFL history.

Didn't become a full time starter until he was 31 then started all but a few games for the next 12 years and is still the oldest position player to start an NFL playoff game,  20 days short of 44 years of age.

One of those players I always wanted on those inconsistent Bills offensive lines in the mid-late 90's.  

Surprised you didn’t remember that he was on the OL coaching staff for your favorite Bills HC.

6 minutes ago, GG said:

Surprised you didn’t remember that he was on the OL coaching staff for your favorite Bills HC.

Oh I was pleased when they got him but he was just an assistant OL coach.    If I recall correctly he was also part of a "former player getting into coaching" internship program in camp with the Bills in 2006 or 2007 before actually getting hired.  

30 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

I believe this is what happened with D’Allesandris. Chan was fired, but we still retained D’s rights. It was then St Doug who came in and fired him. Given the ego of an NFL coach, any retained assistant coach is as good as gone when the new one comes in. 

Except that did not happen with Crossman who survived 2 head coach changes and there are a number of such examples in NFL.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea.

Another reason some fans question McBeanes ability to evaluate offense. 

I checked in just to see how you would turn this to the negative side.   ?

Most people are rejoicing. They took action in an attempt to correct things. Time will tell if it works. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The accountability they’ve demonstrated since the bye week has been very refreshing. Benjamin, Clay, Ducasse, Castillo, Crossman. These move suggest more flexibility than I’ve seen from McD historically.

Also the Anderson and Barkley extensions. 

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Im not in the business of praising a firing that should've happened a year ago.?

I’m glad you’re not my dad!  

They got it right, eventually. Sometimes you don’t get it right the first time around. I’m glad they corrected it. I refuse to make myself miserable about it. 

Who they hire next? Well, there’s the important question. Don’t keep making the same mistakes over and over. 

• Like (+1) 2

I will never celebrate someone losing their job, especially when it means having to uproot their life/family etc. 

But I will say that the performance of the Bills o-line and run game left a lot to be desired. It is without a doubt an area that needs to greatly improve. 

I have to give McDermott some credit for making what I am sure was a very tough decision. I know he and Castillo are close friends. 

McDermott hasn’t been one to shy away from the tough decisions. I think he is sincere when he says that he’s continually evaluating everything/everyone and looking for ways to improve. 

Now, he has to get this hire right. Giving Josh Allen a solid o line, in pass protection and the run game, IMO is crucial to his continued development. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Except that did not happen with Crossman who survived 2 head coach changes and there are a number of such examples in NFL.

There are definitely a lot of guys who hang around for multiple regimes. This seems to be pretty prevelant with special teams coaches. I think a lot of head coaches just kind of let those guys do their thing. I don't think they get overly worried about punt spread philosophies as compared to offensive and defensive philosophies. 

This is a big hire.  I believe Juan was the problem the last two years with the offense because when josh went out the Bills could not  use the running game to help our defense win games this year, too many times when I was watching games where running backs run into the line and disappear  and defensive lineman having free lanes to hit our quarterbacks.  I hope McDermott and Beane get the right guy who I believe needs to  Develop a more physical offensive line that when December rolls around nobody wants to line up against them.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I want Greg Roman back and as the run game coordinator.

Actually, Anthony Lynn was good too.

I just hope that McD/Beane now can see the effect of losing a pro bowl LG, OC and drafts quality replacements for Wood, Incognito. That right side also stinks with Mills, Miller. Mills was so bad it made Miller not look so terrible. 

Crossman next please!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I'm fine with the firing of Castillo. It shows that McDermott is serious about fixing the offensive line.

That being said, I believe the Bills were a top 5 rushing team last season, and then they lost Eric Wood and Richie Incognito in the same offseason and did basically nothing to replace them. I'm not exactly sure what offensive line coach would be able to get quality production out of Jordan Mills and Russell Bodine, but whatever.

What's done is done. Like everyone else, I'm hoping Crossman is next.

Oh, and I also want to say that I find it encouraging that after each of the past two seasons, McDermott has fired a coach. It shows he's not too stubborn, complacent, or set in his ways to change when change is needed. That's a really good thing. Now he just needs to pick some superior replacements so that there aren't MORE firings after NEXT season!

So last year, #4 for attempts, #6 for yards which I think of as “not quite getting the same bang for the buck as everyone”

This was a big step down from 2016, #2 for attempts #1 for yards or “a bit better bang for the buck”

This year, #6 for attempts so still up there for attempts, #9 for yards.  I expect if one took out JA’s yards it would be way lower, but I’m too lazy to subtract all the QB rushing yards for everyone and see right now.

I’m not sure the point about Mills - he was here all along - but certainly, ‘Cog and Woods were.a serious loss, and Ducasse and Bodine were insufficient replacements.

I think it’s possible Dawkins is not a sufficient replacement for Glenn, either, but it would be nice to see a good LG next to him again before making that conclusion.

I think we could have made a push for better replacements, even with our cap situation - Pouncey went to San Diego for not that much, maybe $5M?

With the plan to draft a QB,  it would only have made sense to put as much into the line as we could, and there was more Beane could have done IMO.

I feel Castillo was a necessary move, but I’m concerned to know that Beane 1) can ID OL talent 2) is willing to spend what it takes in $$ and picks to bring it in

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dabills21 said:

Overdue, hopefully they can find a quality replacement...given the likelihood of the offensive line getting a full overhaul this offseason

And a big (maybe) injection of rookies that will need to get coached up while they are learning the playbook and possibly adding muscle mass. This will be a very important role for us.

The scapegoat.  Why not fire the WR and TE coach while you're at it?  Same level of talent to work with.  I guess it can't hurt bringing in somebody new, but the lack of talent is what got Castillo fired.

As far as Crossman goes, he's had some impressive units a couple of his years here so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't let him go much to our chagrin.  Plus, McDermott has a penchant for bald guys.