Bills fire OL Coach Juan Castillo

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

With McD 's approach to his life of evaluating his every day, its not surprising to see his willingness to change when it is warranted even if he meticulous about it.

Alot really depends on the line, losing 3 pro bowl level lineman is the biggest reason they declined.

They weren't exactly killing it with those 3. He was the run game coordinator too right?

With a new offensive line coach and probably 2-3 new starters, it will be a very different offensive line next season.  Hopefully, it will be better.   Once the Bills have the right coach and decent talent, the next issue they'll face on the offensive line is chemistry.  It will be important to get settled quickly on the starters in training camp so they can learn whatever blocking scheme they'll be using and get used to each other.  .

My best guess is George Warhop of the Buccaneers assuming he shakes loose. There isn't a McDermott connection that I know of, but he worked as Brian Daboll's offensive line coach with the Browns. He worked with Leslie Frazier on that Tampa staff and he's done a nice job developing Ali Marpet and was big for Orlando Pace back in the day. He's had an up and down career, but has developed some good players. 

I'd prefer Ray Brown though. 

• Like (+1) 2

I would love it if the Bills were able to lure Bill Callahan here to be our O-line coach. He is the best in the business IMO. Plus he was Daboll 's O line coach when he was o-cdr with the Jets in 08.

Another guy I would like is George Warhop. He should be available now that D.Koetter was fired in TB.  He was Daboll's O line coach when he was the o-cdr in Cleveland in 09-10. 

15 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

I understand the ties with Ray Brown... but I just don’t see the success. 

I’m not against it, just not seeing it. Couldn’t be worse than Juan.

I like Corey Matthaei, KC Assistant Oline coach. Younger guy, been under Any Reid and was there in Philadelphia with McD.

Good call on Matthaei, coached with McDermott in Philly as well. I just hope he brings Mitch Morse with him, and I hope that Juan Castillo did not teach him too much when they were in Philly. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

We had a good run game last year and shady looked great, looks like we did pretty good.

Shady looked pretty good last year but the line was still bad. Especially in pass protection. The run game has really dropped off this year and he didn't seem to make any adjustments for it.

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

Good call on Matthaei, coached with McDermott in Philly as well. I just hope he brings Mitch Morse with him, and I hope that Juan Castillo did not teach him too much when they were in Philly. 

Matthaei helped out Alex Smith a ton, and was also talked about being Doug Peterson’s OC briefly.

Thing is OL is going to be crucial. If Morse were to come it would help him out for sure.

Its just one of those things. Does Matthaei have to ability to influence and can he get this squad to fire on all cylinders.

Sometimes younger up and comers have that over older veteran coaches.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I want Greg Roman back and as the run game coordinator.

Man I wish. I loved his offense. His playcalling was awful at times, but that guy is a good coach. What he's doing in Baltimore is just really cool.

1 minute ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Matthaei helped out Alex Smith a ton, and was also talked about being Doug Peterson’s OC briefly.

Thing is OL is going to be crucial. If Morse were to come it would help him out for sure.

Its just one of those things. Does Matthaei have to ability to influence and can he get this squad to fire on all cylinders.

Sometimes younger up and comers have that over older veteran coaches.

He definitely won't have the edge and cred that a guy like Ray Brown does, but could definitely be an interesting hire. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Man I wish. I loved his offense. His playcalling was awful at times, but that guy is a good coach. What he's doing in Baltimore is just really cool.

He dienetly won't have the edge and creed that a guy like Ray Bown, but could definitely be an interesting hire. 

Seems like a McD hire too... vs a big name. But when it’s all said and done they are going to grab who they think can get the job done.

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1