Whose contract is worth redoing to spend money in 2019?

The Bills will have a lot of cap money but not enough good FAs to spend it on.  Which player(s) have contracts worth restructuring to move more of the money into 2019 leaving more money for future needs?

As far as I understand the current CBA restricts ability to restructure/lengthen rookie and I believe 2nd year contracts so it will not be any of players Coach McD and Beane drafted.

Time to talk to Jerry on extension?

I'd offer Hughes and extension and also McCoy.  In McCoy's case at a reduced incentive based deal for maybe 3 years and that he can easily be cut if he doesn't make certain incentives.  If McCoy says no to it, then you release him.  While McD and Beans both stated they want McCoy back (At this time of year talk is cheap) they didn't necessarily state they want him back on the current contract either.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Redoing means giving the player more guaranteed money, making it harder to cut him later.  And with $90M in cap room in 2019, they don't need to make any moves.

No it doesn't.  There are accounting things including paying some costs in 2019 they can do.  They can move some spending into 2019 if they choose and then give lower salaries later years.

10 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

No it doesn't.  There are accounting things including paying some costs in 2019 they can do.  They can move some spending into 2019 if they choose and then give lower salaries later years.

OK.  I misunderstood your post.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

The Bills will have a lot of cap money but not enough good FAs to spend it on.  Which player(s) have contracts worth restructuring to move more of the money into 2019 leaving more money for future needs?

As far as I understand the current CBA restricts ability to restructure/lengthen rookie and I believe 2nd year contracts so it will not be any of players Coach McD and Beane drafted.

I believe a large chunk of that will be reserved to retain our own.

38 minutes ago, Doc said:

Redoing means giving the player more guaranteed money, making it harder to cut him later.  And with $90M in cap room in 2019, they don't need to make any moves.

I realize its probably been said a ton.....but when I hear about that 90 million in cap space it still makes me smile.

Doggie Poo dead cap sandwich year is OVER

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Yeah but he is a UFA.....money will talk

It always does.  What the Bills have going for them is cap room, he seems to like it in Buffalo and the chance to face the Dols twice a year.

Edited by Doc

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Antonio Brown once you trade for him. 

Heres an idea, go after a superstar free agent like say Clowney, his contract would likely be say, 6 years 100 million with 60 guaranteed.....but structure it so the 60 guaranteed is all up front in 2019.  Then for the next 5 years you have a stud that is costing you peanuts. 

incentivize  Hughes to sign an extension by increasing his pay for 2019 but not more money in future years. 

Use the cap up that way. The idea being you want to spend all of your cap space every year but you dont want to screw yourselves in future years.  If you have to cut a player, theres no dead money