Cash?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still use cash?

• Cash
    • Check
    • Credit Card
    • Crypto-currency
    • Phone based payment

I suppose it is possible to live without cash in the days of cell phone wallets.  What do you prefer cash, checks, credit cards, crypto-currency or phone based pay mechanisms?

I ask simply because I am in an airport where the restaurants force you to pay on card.  It does make it easier for the staff as they don’t have to make change for anything.  However, I suspect it also drives up the tabs because there is science that shows when you use plastic you will spend more.

Thoughts?

• Thank you (+1) 1

i use plastic for most everything because I don't like carrying around or accumulating pocket change

Airport establishments not accepting cash may be a byproduct of the increased security at an airport.  Kinda hard to make a run to the bank if they run out of Ones or Quarters

Depends on what you are buying. Myself, I like to keep alittle cash on me majority of the time. When dining at a resturant I will usually pay with my card but leave a cash tip. If you are buying cocaine I would suppose that would be a cash only trade.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Yup, I spend a way lot less when I take out $100 for each week and stretch it.

it seems very irresponsible to be using a credit card for a $1.50 coffee ten times a week.

plus I give $$ to those begging most of the time, need some pocket change for that.

• Like (+1) 2

I use cash and credit cards all the time. I cannot tell you the last time I used a debit card for a purchase.  No way am I slapping any type of phone-payment app on my phone. 

My son and his SO NEVER have cash in their wallet. It drives me nuts.  There are a lot of places that will state (against Visa and MC TOS) a minimum purchase requirement, and they won't have five bucks in the pocket to be able to pay for something.  

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

I suppose it is possible to live without cash in the days of cell phone wallets.  What do you prefer cash, checks, credit cards, crypto-currency or phone based pay mechanisms?

I ask simply because I am in an airport where the restaurants force you to pay on card.  It does make it easier for the staff as they don’t have to make change for anything.  However, I suspect it also drives up the tabs because there is science that shows when you use plastic you will spend more.

Thoughts?

Card companies deduct large fees on businesses, cash often gets me a discount and is very appreciated in the service industry.

Edited by row_33

Just now, PRBills said:

Call me paranoid, i dont have a bank account or a credit card... I still believe in the old shoe box stash. If I have to use a card for online purchases and what not i pick up a prepaid card.

Yes,I have a couple holes dug in the ground with a couple dollars in a jar myself. But still have the bank thing because that's how I can only get paid.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I use cash and credit cards all the time. I cannot tell you the last time I used a debit card for a purchase.  No way am I slapping any type of phone-payment app on my phone. 

My son and his SO NEVER have cash in their wallet. It drives me nuts.  There are a lot of places that will state (against Visa and MC TOS) a minimum purchase requirement, and they won't have five bucks in the pocket to be able to pay for something.  

I am with you I don’t understand how anybody can go completely cashless.  At the same time, as you point out there is a generational thing going on.  Young people look at you like “what?” When you hand them cash at a register.  Then to make matters worse they have no idea how to make and count out change.

We will go cashless at some point.

1 minute ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Yes,I have a couple holes dug in the ground with a couple dollars in a jar myself. But still have the bank thing because that's how I can only get paid.

We have laughed about digging holes in the ground and storing money in an old coffee can.  But then we figured with our luck, we'd forget where we buried it, or forget to dig it up if we moved. ?

Just now, Patrick_Duffy said:

Oooh that sucks, i would not be happy if my employer only offered direct deposit. You should have a choice, its your money. But with that said, if that was the only way to get paid I guess i would have to get an account...

9 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

i use plastic for most everything because I don't like carrying around or accumulating pocket change

Airport establishments not accepting cash may be a byproduct of the increased security at an airport.  Kinda hard to make a run to the bank if they run out of Ones or Quarters

I am with you on change.  I hate, absolutely despise, coins.  The penny needs to go away in the U.S. we should be like Australia and round up or down to the nearest $.05.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

We have laughed about digging holes in the ground and storing money in an old coffee can.  But then we figured with our luck, we'd forget where we buried it, or forget to dig it up if we moved. ?

With todays technology, you could probably bury it and mark it using a gps app on your phone. Lol

• Haha (+1) 2