Buffalo needs a complete rebuild on Offense

Socal-805

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

He's more a 3/4 and he can definitely be improved upon.

Really,m he's ranked 56 in receptions and 59 in yards.  If you divided that by 32 teams, says he's a low #2 and a low #2 on a team without a #1 and even a #3.

Can he be improved on sure, lets sign Julio Jones, Antonio Brown and OBJ, that would make Zay a #4, so then you'd be correct.  But reality is even if they were all available and you could sign them, you'd never be able to afford 3 WRs of that caliper, so having a guy of Zay's capabilities as a #2 or better slot guy, plus add Foster in there as the #2, what the team still needs is a #1 which no one would dispute.

Croom as a #2 TE also isn't bad, with better players around him would be a good #2.  McCoy I'd renegotiate his contract add a year or two, but at a much lower incentive based contract.

Sign two FA lineman, 1 to 2 WR, plus draft one of each and aTE and you have a solid offense.  Not nearly as bad as this thread makes it out to be.

4 minutes ago, Yav said:

The Bills are good on the left side. They need to upgrade the right side of the line and they can add N'Keal Harry to the WR group in the draft and that will give them a solid core of young guys with Jones, Harry, Foster and McKenzie. Croom has been decent but they could use an upgrade at TE and they def. need a young RB. 

RG, RT, RB, WR and TE. 

Lets hope they can find OL help in FA and draft Harry out of ASU. 

You're happy with Center??

Just now, NickelCity said:

You're happy with Center??

I'm not happy but they have someone under contract and I do think better play on the right side might help the center play. Also consider that Miller and Mills are FA so why create another hole? 

39 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

Outside of the below player/positions, who do you really need to keep?

1.  Josh Allen - QB

2.  Robert Foster - WR

3.  Dion Dawkins - LT

o  The O-line is probably the worst in all of Pro football.  COMPLETE rebuild outside of Dawkins, who may possibly be the only actual NFL starter at O-line on the roster.

o  Running Back - McCoy is probably finished, and no RB or FB under 30 years old when season starts next.  

o  Tight End - Clay?  Stop it! Croom!  That's it?

o Receivers - Robert Foster has stepped up this season, but AGAIN this is almost certainly the WORST group of receivers in the NFL.  How long can this go on???

Nothing stated above is really an exaggeration.

=======================================================================================

Buffalo is 30th in yards/game, 30th in points/game and 31st in passing yards.

Josh Allen accounts for more rushing yards than anyone I believe.

Push the reset button this year, and start the rebuild before it's too late - please.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2018&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

I agree on most of your points.  

I think young it a better description of our WR group.  Zay wont just be fine he will be really good next season you can quote me on that.  

Fix the line and you fix a lot of the offense, you acknowledge how bad the line is but you apparently dont think the Oline affects the running game.  Dont get me wrong though I believe we should take a RB in the 3rd or 4th, maybe trade back up into round 2 if one is worth it.  Shady is still fast just not as shifty.  He was clocked at over 20 MPH on one of his TDs this season.

7 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

I would add ZJones Teller, Groy and McKenzie to the list.

I sould keep Miller and Mills for depth. I dont see a need to cut them. Their contracts arent big at all

I wouldnt cut any of them.  Let em compete.

I hate to be captain obvious but isn’t this the same thing we’ve all been saying since last preseason? 

We need talent across the board. 

Were not signing and drafting every hole on the offense this offseason. So expect some no names and older retreads to mix in with either decent signings or talented rookies. Barring a trade we won’t have a prototypical #1 receiver either. Which if we’re judging from the teams in the playoffs this year isn’t a bad thing. Just need legit playmakers/weapons. At least 4 of them. 

3 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

McCoy is one strained hammy in TC, PS or early in the reg season from repeating this year's numbers.  Given his history of that problem I think the Bills will make a move to find a back that can be the starter. 

I don't think he'll be a feature back - I can see a RB by committee approach in 2019, with Shady being used more in the short passing game. His price tag might seem high for a limited role, but given the cap space and the need for veteran leadership, I think he's worth keeping. He's been a model citizen and a great mentor/cheerleader for Josh.

But I agree, it's time to find his replacement. Draft a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round and give him a year of splitting time with Shady.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I actually think our offense doesn't need a complete rebuild.  IMO we need:

*  2 new starting O-linemen.  The rest of this group could fill out the remaining 3 spots adequately. 

*  1 new starting WR.  Given their level of experience (or lack thereof) Jones & Foster have shown me enough to convince me that they can be decent WR's next year.  Add a go to guy and this unit might go from a liability to a strength.

* 1 new starting TE.  I would go with a guy that can block first but is a decent check down pass receiver.  I believe that with a full off season Grooms can grow into being our #1 pass catching TE.  A good blocking TE is needed for pass protection and helping the running game.

*  a 2nd RB to compliment Shady.  I still think that McCoy has gas left in the tank and the Bills will need some veteran leadership on offense.  Add a 2nd starting caliber RB and Ivory becomes a back-up giving the Bills decent depth at that position. 

• Like (+1) 2

I bet Mills starts again next year at RT. Not ideal, but I just highly doubt we'll be able to sign/draft 3 upgrades on the oline.

Almost every team in the league is oline hungry, which means most will get resigned by their current teams and the rest will be fought over.

So I bet Dawkins, Mills, and Teller are starters. Then hopefully we can get upgrades at Center and RG.

Building this oline is going to take a few years.

The growth that Foster showed over the course of the season was remarkable. Early in the year he was a guy who could run fast but couldn’t track or catch a ball. By the end of the season he was running more of the route tree and contributing on a regular basis. 

Week 1 I would not have put him on the keeper list, but today I certainly would. Hard to say what he might become. 

31 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Allen

Zay Jones

Foster

Dawkins(he is out of position)

Teller

other than that I think every position is up for grabs.

Agree.  I also bet we get one other OL guy to return.  Not because they are great but because they won’t find an improvement for all 3 positions

18 minutes ago, MJS said:

I bet Mills starts again next year at RT. Not ideal, but I just highly doubt we'll be able to sign/draft 3 upgrades on the oline.

Almost every team in the league is oline hungry, which means most will get resigned by their current teams and the rest will be fought over.

So I bet Dawkins, Mills, and Teller are starters. Then hopefully we can get upgrades at Center and RG.

Building this oline is going to take a few years.

Mostly agree.

We have 10 draft picks and roughly $100 million to spend on free agents.

Nonetheless, Beane's is not going to fill all the holes on offense we're talking about.  The right players just won't be available in every case.

We will, of course, see a partial rebuild.  Hopefully the OL gets a pretty major overhaul.  But next season we'll still see some weaker guys suiting up and playing on the offensive side of the ball.  

39 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

1.  Josh Allen - QB

2.  Robert Foster - WR

3.  Dion Dawkins - LT

o  The O-line is probably the worst in all of Pro football.  COMPLETE rebuild outside of Dawkins, who may possibly be the only actual NFL starter at O-line on the roster.

o  Running Back - McCoy is probably finished, and no RB or FB under 30 years old when season starts next.  

o Receivers - Robert Foster has stepped up this season, but AGAIN this is almost certainly the WORST group of receivers in the NFL.  How long can this go on???

I am going to make a point I have been trying to make for a while now.

Bills fans need to understand that going forward is not about who starts next year.

It is entirely about who goes to camp next year.

Other than the 3 you have stated let's look at who on O is on a contract and whether they go to camp.

1.  Josh Allen - QB

2.  Robert Foster - WR

3.  Dion Dawkins - LT

4.  Matt Barkley - QB - goes to camp.

5.  Shady McCoy - RB -  up in the air.  I think he goes to camp if not traded.

6.  Charles Clay - TE - CUT/maybe used in some sort of traded.  Pick swap?

7.  Chris Ivory - RB - goes to camp.

8.  Russell Bodine - C - goes to camp.  He has 500k in dead money.  No need to cut him yet.

9.  Patrick DiMarco - FB - goes to camp.  1 million in dead that can be split after June 1st.

10.  Vlad Ducasse -  G - CUT 83k dead money.

11.  Zay Jones - WR - goes to camp and makes the team.

12.  Marcus Murphy - RB - 50/50 on whether he goes to camp.  I think probably not.

13.  Victor Bolden - WR - 50/50 same as Murphy.

14.  Conor McDermott - OT - 50/50 same as Murphy.

15.  Isaiah McKenzie - WR - goes to camp.

16.  Wyatt Teller - G - goes to camp

17.  Ray Ray McCloud - WR - 50/50 same as Murphy.

18.  Ike Boettger - OL - goes to camp.

19.  Jason Croom - TE - goes to camp and probably makes team.

20.  Keith Ford - RB - 50/50 goes to camp for sure if Shady is traded/cut.

21.  Da'Mari Scott - WR - 50/50 same as Murphy.

21 offensive players under contract.  After the 2 cuts and half of the 50/50 guys leaves you with about 16 players.

Bills will have over 42 offensive players in camp.

42-16 = 26 new offensive players in camp.

45 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

In addition to the ones the OP listed, I'd keep Zay Jones, Isaiah McKenzie, and Shady.

Zay goes back and forth between good games and bad, which shows that he's got the talent, he just needs a little time to become consistent. Give him one more year to see how he progresses, but definitely get some WR help.

McKenzie seems pretty versatile and he's young. See what he can do next year.

Shady has at least one more good year in him, assuming we fix the o-line. He can help in the passing game and he's a leader. He's worth his 2019 salary. Beyond that, who knows?

Saved me some typing, exactly this for me as far as who to bring back

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I would keep Isaah McKenzie

That guy was a cluster on Special Teams- that said lets bring in the right ST coach- im not ready to give up on the kid.

31 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I hate to be captain obvious but isn’t this the same thing we’ve all been saying since last preseason? 

We need talent across the board. 

Were not signing and drafting every hole on the offense this offseason. So expect some no names and older retreads to mix in with either decent signings or talented rookies. Barring a trade we won’t have a prototypical #1 receiver either. Which if we’re judging from the teams in the playoffs this year isn’t a bad thing. Just need legit playmakers/weapons. At least 4 of them. 

This offseason will allow us to make our Offense much better- maybe not a polished product but on its way for sure.

Bills should take the best defensive end or else offensive lineman in first round. 

Need to draft the best WR available in the 2nd round.  Also grab a late round RB.  

And then sign a good possession tight end and best offensive lineman available in free agency. 

1 hour ago, Socal-805 said:

1.  Josh Allen - QB

2.  Robert Foster - WR

3.  Dion Dawkins - LT

=======================================================================================

Buffalo is 30th in yards/game, 30th in points/game and 31st in passing yards.

Josh Allen accounts for more rushing yards than anyone I believe.

Push the reset button this year, and start the rebuild before it's too late - please.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2018&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

I agree that upgrades are needed but your not going to be able to find 8 new starter quality players on offense in one off season. McBeane will get this off season and next off season to rebuild the roster. 

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I actually think our offense doesn't need a complete rebuild.  IMO we need:

*  2 new starting O-linemen.  The rest of this group could fill out the remaining 3 spots adequately. 

*  1 new starting WR.  Given their level of experience (or lack thereof) Jones & Foster have shown me enough to convince me that they can be decent WR's next year.  Add a go to guy and this unit might go from a liability to a strength.

* 1 new starting TE.  I would go with a guy that can block first but is a decent check down pass receiver.  I believe that with a full off season Grooms can grow into being our #1 pass catching TE.  A good blocking TE is needed for pass protection and helping the running game.

*  a 2nd RB to compliment Shady.  I still think that McCoy has gas left in the tank and the Bills will need some veteran leadership on offense.  Add a 2nd starting caliber RB and Ivory becomes a back-up giving the Bills decent depth at that position. 

Why I fully agree is that by adding some real talent (just like you mentioned) makes the other borderline players improve by default. So while a complete overhaul would likely be better it is not NEEDED. At least the guys that remain on for next year have real NFL game experience, know the systems and coaches, etc. It's actually quite encouraging how easily the Bills O can be improved. Allen will most likely be better (if not injured!!!!), more chemistry with the other players, no off-season time wasted with the 3rd stringers, Daboll knows him, etc.

Edited by Jerome007