Ultima Thule

/dev/null

Interesting article, thanks for posting.

This thing reminds me that the idea of really fast space travel seems dangerous.

Imagine going, say, 25% the speed of light from point A to point B.  There's so much random junk floating all over the place out there.  How would you see it and avoid it in time?  

They tried to address this problem in Star Wars when Han Solo said something like "the computer needs to map our route so we don't fly into a star" or something like that, but that assumes you know where everything is and have an accurate map.  Plus, everything, even the stable stuff, is moving all the time.

You would have to devise some type of technology that pushes stuff out of the way of the space craft or something like that, so even if something was in your way, it wouldn't hit you.

Anyone have a solution to this problem?

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Interesting article, thanks for posting.

This thing reminds me that the idea of really fast space travel seems dangerous.

Imagine going, say, 25% the speed of light from point A to point B.  There's so much random junk floating all over the place out there.  How would you see it and avoid it in time?  

They tried to address this problem in Star Wars when Han Solo said something like "the computer needs to map our route so we don't fly into a star" or something like that, but that assumes you know where everything is and have an accurate map.  Plus, everything, even the stable stuff, is moving all the time.

You would have to devise some type of technology that pushes stuff out of the way of the space craft or something like that, so even if something was in your way, it wouldn't hit you.

Anyone have a solution to this problem?

Likelihood of hitting a random object (ie not a planet/star/moon what have you) during space travel is as close to zero as possible. 

Space is ***** huge. I mean, they named it 'space'.

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Likelihood of hitting a random object (ie not a planet/star/moon what have you) during space travel is as close to zero as possible. 

Done some calculations on that have you?

Didn't think so.

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Done some calculations on that have you?

Didn't think so.

Let me put it this way: some time in the next 5 billion years the Milky Way is going to collide with the Andromeda galaxy. That's about 1 trillion stars from the bad guys and over 300 billion for the good guys combined crashing into each other. And it's STILL almost 100% likely no stellar collisions (ie stars hitting each other) occur between two GALAXIES colliding due to the immense distances involved. 

Brian May was an astrophysics major in the early 70s. On the side, he played lead guitar in the band Queen. He finished his BS and MS, and then became a full-time musician. About ten years ago, he returned to school, completed his PhD in astrophysics, and became a collaborating scientist on the New Horizons spacecraft mission - the one that passed Pluto a few years ago, and recently encountered Ultima Thule.

In honor of the mission, Dr. May wrote and recorded this song.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Let me put it this way: some time in the next 5 billion years the Milky Way is going to collide with the Andromeda galaxy. That's about 1 trillion stars from the bad guys and over 300 billion for the good guys combined crashing into each other. And it's STILL almost 100% likely no stellar collisions (ie stars hitting each other) occur between two GALAXIES colliding due to the immense distances involved. 

And will that result in the destruction of one or both galaxies, or both galaxies coalescing into a single larger galaxy?

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Consider a different version of the problem. Say you wanted to go somewhere directly across the galaxy. You would likely want to avoid the super massive black hole at the center of the galaxy. So you go around it, but should you stay in the plane of the galaxy or go "above" the plane, sort of like an airplane going over the pole?

3 minutes ago, ocemur said:

Consider a different version of the problem. Say you wanted to go somewhere directly across the galaxy. You would likely want to avoid the super massive black hole at the center of the galaxy. So you go around it, but should you stay in the plane of the galaxy or go "above" the plane, sort of like an airplane going over the pole?

Depends on who's driving imo...myself I'm heading straight for the event horizon just to see what's up.

On 1/3/2019 at 6:14 PM, coloradobillsfan said:

simple, just warp space and you can travel infinite distances without having to go through space  

Thanks!  I'll pop down to Space Warp 'R Us and pick up a Space Warper.

Easy!

• Like (+1) 1