If Mike Mayock had run our draft last five years

major

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

When will football fans catch on that the "professionals" who actually do the picking in the league are just as terrible as you and I?  

The guys don't have a clue who's going to be good, great, or bust, and it's why you never, ever, trade UP in a draft and it's always a great idea to trade down.  Get more picks; more picks is more throws of the dice = greater chance to luck out.

Mayock has actually enjoyed one of the better reputations around the country as a talent evaluator during the lead up to the draft each year.  

It’s not about the top of the draft. The experts find the UFAs like Foster or Andre Reed at Kutztown State. We all know the top players but they know everyone. I disagree that they are just as bad as you and I. 

One thing we should all remember IS...... That we, as fans, only see one side of the coin.  The raiders see both sides.

What I mean by that is we do not know anything about teams scouting, but the raiders do.  Everyone knows about Mayock, he's on TV!

There's a chance Mayock was actually doing better than their current scounts. 

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The guys don't have a clue who's going to be good, great, or bust, and it's why you never, ever, trade UP in a draft and it's always a great idea to trade down.  Get more picks; more picks is more throws of the dice = greater chance to luck out.

Sounds like you don’t need an analytics department, or draft gurus...sounds like you either need a probability and statistics professor, or Nathan Detroit.  ?

4 minutes ago, peterpan said:

One thing we should all remember IS...... That we, as fans, only see one side of the coin.  The raiders see both sides.

Can anyone truly say what Chuckie sees?

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

When will football fans catch on that the "professionals" who actually do the picking in the league are just as terrible as you and I?  

Uh, yeah.  No.

The average fan might be OK picking from among the top 25-30 prospects... but only after pouring over tons of scouting reports and mock drafts compiled by OTHER sources with actual expertise. 

Tell the average guy to start from scratch, then put together a big-board of 300-400 college prospects. 

It would be embarrassing to say the least.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The professionals are better than Joe Average fan.

Case in point:  McBean have done very well with UDFA's. No way Joe Average could come anywhere close to doing as well.

The pros have the edge provided by information gathered by the scouting department.

Thing about Mock drafts is that they don't necessarily denote who the person would actually take if they were GM.  Most of these mocks try to fit need with player, and not BPA.  Mayock was always one of the most accurate predictors because he waited until the last minute, used all available info, and then put up his last mock day of draft or right before draft day, he strove for accuracy more than anything else.

35 minutes ago, boater said:

The professionals are better than Joe Average fan.

Case in point:  McBean have done very well with UDFA's. No way Joe Average could come anywhere close to doing as well.

The pros have the edge provided by information gathered by the scouting department.

That's the thing.  NFL GMs have tremendous resources.  Millions of dollars to spend.  Lots of college and pro scouts who are all fully immersed in football.  Countless connections on college campuses and around the NFL.  Hundreds of hours of tape.  Hours and hours of interviews.  Private detectives to do background work.  

In the end,  there's still an element of luck.  But Average Joe can't replicate the level of due diligence done by a NFL GM.  

And Mayock's never had these kinds of resources before.  Will he know how to use them as wisely as a GM who's worked in the NFL for the past 15 years and worked his way up from a regional scout position?  

Edited by hondo in seattle

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Mayock has actually enjoyed one of the better reputations around the country as a talent evaluator during the lead up to the draft each year.  

Mayock is the only one I really put any stock into as he seems to do his homework and I like his assesments

5 hours ago, major said:

I too thought it crazy when I heard Mayock had been hired as raiders GM. Thought it would be fun to see who he would have drafted in 1st round had he been our GM the past five years. Here you go: 2018/Josh Allen, 2017/Reuben Foster, 2016/Robert Nkemdiche, 2015/no 1st round pick, 2014/Zach Martin

Those are mocks though, doesn’t mean that’s who he would have picked based on how the real draft played out and we were on the clock.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Mayock thought Gabbert should be the first QB off the board and is on record as such.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Gruden doesn't have enough time".  He is reported to have a 10 year, $10M a year fully-guaranteed contract.

He's not seeing the end of that deal... he traded Mack & Cooper... he's already on the Hot Seat... he'll be gone after his 3rd year

12 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

He's not seeing the end of that deal... he traded Mack & Cooper... he's already on the Hot Seat... he'll be gone after his 3rd year

This is Mark Davis we are talking about. He will keep gruden the full 10 years