If Mike Mayock had run our draft last five years

major

I too thought it crazy when I heard Mayock had been hired as raiders GM. Thought it would be fun to see who he would have drafted in 1st round had he been our GM the past five years. Here you go: 2018/Josh Allen, 2017/Reuben Foster, 2016/Robert Nkemdiche, 2015/no 1st round pick, 2014/Zach Martin

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, major said:

I too thought it crazy when I heard Mayock had been hired as raiders GM. Thought it would be fun to see who he would have drafted in 1st round had he been our GM the past five years. Here you go: 2018/Josh Allen, 2017/Reuben Foster, 2016/Robert Nkemdiche, 2015/no 1st round pick, 2014/Zach Martin

We'd have a pro bowler, a defensive tackle who doesn't like football, a linebacker who shouldnt be in the league, and a maybe franchise qb.   So anywhere from 50 to 25 percent success rate, which is par for the course.    Should note all of those guys have immense talent, two just happen to be head cases.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm assuming the OP is referring to Mayock's annual mock draft.  Different mock drafters have their own agenda when making a mock draft.  Sometimes they are making predictions as to what each team might do.  Sometimes they are doing the mock to reflect what they themselves would do if they were the GM.  Sometimes they will be up front about their agenda, sometimes not.  Does anyone know if Mayock explains which one he is doing?  If it is a prediction, then he might have a very different take when he's doing it as a GM.

Edited by TigerJ

When will football fans catch on that the "professionals" who actually do the picking in the league are just as terrible as you and I?  

The guys don't have a clue who's going to be good, great, or bust, and it's why you never, ever, trade UP in a draft and it's always a great idea to trade down.  Get more picks; more picks is more throws of the dice = greater chance to luck out.

Mayock has actually enjoyed one of the better reputations around the country as a talent evaluator during the lead up to the draft each year.  

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I'm assuming the OP is referring to Mayock's annualo mock draft.  Different mock drafters have their own agenda when making a mock draft.  Sometimes they are making predictions as to what each team might do.  Sometimes they are doing the mock to reflect what they themselves would do if they were the GM.  Sometimes they will be up front about their agenda, sometimes not.  Does anyone know if Mayock explains which one he is doing?  If it is a prediction, then he might have a very different take when he's doing it as a GM.

I don't think he's talking about Mock Drafts ?

You can't control the draft... I feel like Mike is the most accurate Draft Analyst out here, his mocks never go as plan, but the players always end up turning into good players 3-4 years later.

That's my fear for him, Gruden doesn't have enough time imo... so they're not going to give Mayock that much time either. 

So many players he said would be great, turned up great....not just good.

Big Ben

Antonio Brown

Kerryon Johnson (soon will be)

Mike Evans 

Odell Beckham over Sammy

Khalil Mack 

Russell Wilson 

Cam Newton (when everyone went Gabbert)

Just to name a few

Heck... he even hit on EJ in the worst QB draft ever! EJ ended up be the best one... out of all the sucky prospects. & before you grill me on that comment, remember nobody knew how bad it was & Mayock was the main one saying "this is a bad class & if I had to take one of these players, I'll take the mobile big arm kid from Florida State"

That's knowing your stuff... though the best move was to just punt on the whole QB class

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don't disagree about Mayock's relative expertise in the universe of prognosticators, but when the OP names names of players Mayock would have had Buffalo draft over the past 5 years, I don't know where those names would have come from if not Mayock's mock drafts.

27 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I don't disagree about Mayock's relative expertise in the universe of prognosticators, but when the OP names names of players Mayock would have had Buffalo draft over the past 5 years, I don't know where those names would have come from if not Mayock's mock drafts.

I pulled those from his mock drafts

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

When will football fans catch on that the "professionals" who actually do the picking in the league are just as terrible as you and I?  

The guys don't have a clue who's going to be good, great, or bust, and it's why you never, ever, trade UP in a draft and it's always a great idea to trade down.  Get more picks; more picks is more throws of the dice = greater chance to luck out.

Mayock has actually enjoyed one of the better reputations around the country as a talent evaluator during the lead up to the draft each year.  

True enough.  But what does he know about running a winning organization?  How will he organize his scouts and what instructions will he give them?  What credibility will he have with his staff?  

Choosing Mayock is odd even when you assume Gruden is going to be the de facto GM.  

Then again, Mayock is a smart guy who's picked a lot of brains in his decades hanging out with scouts and other personnel guys.  Maybe there's hope for him - but he's not who I would have chosen if I was Chucky.   

37 minutes ago, major said:

I pulled those from his mock drafts

That is all you could do.  The issue is the mock does not reflect the realities of the actual picks so the picks may have been different.

I also do not know the intent of his mock: is it what he would do or what he thinks the team would do?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

while I do agree Mayock is one of the better evaluators.  I do not agree that You would be on the same level as NFL evaluators.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

That is all you could do.  The issue is the mock does not reflect the realities of the actual picks so the picks may have been different.

I also do not know the intent of his mock: is it what he would do or what he thinks the team would do?

Pretty sure it is a prediction of what the teams will do. He has his top players at each position, according to him, and his mocks don't always align because he bases his mocks on inside information he comes into, or thinks he comes into, plus positions of need for each team.

1 hour ago, Scorp83 said:

Heck... he even hit on EJ in the worst QB draft ever! EJ ended up be the best one... out of all the sucky prospects. & before you grill me on that comment, remember nobody knew how bad it was & Mayock was the main one saying "this is a bad class & if I had to take one of these players, I'll take the mobile big arm kid from Florida State"

That's knowing your stuff... though the best move was to just punt on the whole QB class

I think it was common knowledge that the 2013 draft was the worst QB draft in years before the draft was held.  I wrote on another board that January that the Bills shouldn't draft a QB and compared it to the 2007 group of QBs, and that was years after I stopped studying the draft like I did in the 1990s and early 2000s.  About the only ones who didn't know were Nix & Whaley, evidenced by the fact they were the only ones who took a QB in the 1st round that year.  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

You can't control the draft... I feel like Mike is the most accurate Draft Analyst out here, his mocks never go as plan, but the players always end up turning into good players 3-4 years later.

That's my fear for him, Gruden doesn't have enough time imo... so they're not going to give Mayock that much time either. 

Big Ben

Antonio Brown

Mike Evans 

Odell Beckham over Sammy

Khalil Mack 

Russell Wilson 

Mayock thought Gabbert should be the first QB off the board and is on record as such.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Gruden doesn't have enough time".  He is reported to have a 10 year, $10M a year fully-guaranteed contract.

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

True enough.  But what does he know about running a winning organization?  How will he organize his scouts and what instructions will he give them?  What credibility will he have with his staff?  

Choosing Mayock is odd even when you assume Gruden is going to be the de facto GM.  

Then again, Mayock is a smart guy who's picked a lot of brains in his decades hanging out with scouts and other personnel guys.  Maybe there's hope for him - but he's not who I would have chosen if I was Chucky.   

I saw the segment on NFLN talking to Mayock about the new gig.  Mayock stated that his relationship with Gruden went back to the mid to late 1990s when Gruden was OC of the Eagles, though Mayock didn't really elaborate on this.  So they've known each other for roughly 20 years.  Mayock just stated that the Raiders situation makes sense from both his side and Gruden's side.

Reading between the lines, Gruden got his 'yes' man who he's comfortable with and will not rock the boat; I think this is exactly who Chucky wanted.  Mayock gives Gruden a list of players to fill a position, Gruden makes the pick.  Can't imagine it's too far off from this.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

I don't think he's talking about Mock Drafts ?

Big Ben

Antonio Brown

Mike Evans 

Odell Beckham over Sammy

Khalil Mack 

Russell Wilson 

Just to name a few

Gruden doesn't have enough time? Dude has a 10 year contract and Davis isnt gonna eat it

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "Gruden doesn't have enough time".  He is reported to have a 10 year, $10M a year fully-guaranteed contract.

When the unmarked white ambulance pulls up, and the attendants in the plain white coats get out, it will be Chuckie’s time...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CNYfan said:

Whatever happened to Nkemdiche?   He was a character concern I remember then showed up at the draft with a crew of guys dressed like mobsters.

He's been pretty inconsistent and hurt as well. He was finally showing some signs of life as a 3 Tech in a 4-3. Seemed like a poor fit in the 3-4. Then he tore his ACL I believe. I actually always liked him as a prospect, but I'm not surprised he has struggled to find consistency. Could be an interesting buy low depending on what happens in Arizona. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown