OT Jonah Williams in the first

57 minutes ago, yungmack said:

The old adage is, "Build a team from the inside out, front to back. " Those two rules intersect at the Center. That's the first position you have to get right. I believe a great deal of the O-line's problems this year had to do with inferior center play, which spilled over to the guards, which affected the tackles, yada yada yada. So upgrading there is Job One as I see it. Problem is, it's rare a rookie makes a huge impact right off the bat at Center so the Bills would have to be prepared to live with a learning curve. The alternative is to sign a FA center. In any case, a better than average Center is crucial.

if they draft a center do what they did with wood , start him at guard his first year and let him get used to the nfl

7 hours ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Sorry but having flashbacks/nightmares to our last Alabama OL drafted ... if we go with Williams hopefully he can deliver vs. his alumni.

2014 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Cyrus Kouandjio

Strengths:
  • Powerful run-blocker
  • Great length
  • Huge bulk
  • Strong and nasty in the ground game
  • Athletic for a big blocker
  • Gets push in the ground game
  • Strong hands
  • Quickness
  • Mobility to hit blocks on the perimeter
  • Gets to blocks on the second level
  • Can anchor against bull rushes
  • Experienced against elite competition
  • Strength for man scheme
  • Mobility for zone scheme
  • Upside
  • Great length (33 1/8" arms)
  • Scheme versatile

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014ckouandjio.php#E63AKwtT4wdffEj5.99

nightmares?  williams having the same issues as cyrus? are you superstitious or something? because they went to the same school?

:lol:

I'm all on board if williams were the pick. he may not be there at 9 but LT is certainly of need and if he were there at 9, take him.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

6 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

This is what I was thinking.  Though it is hard to think of a 300 pound man as “small.”

It is....especially for those of us old enough to remember the novelty of 'The Fridge' as the only 300 pound guy in the league!

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Per Tony Pauline, he has spoken to at least a dozen sources who do not think he’s a top 10 pick

https://twitter.com/rotoworld_draft/status/1085305626832633856?s=21

Obviously no scout, but I could see him being rated way higher than his performance merits simply due to the draft pool and a good amount of team's needing to protect their QB (most newly found). I'll be interested to see when he, or either Little or Taylor, go off the board as I don't know that I'd take any of them in the top 10.

If we stay there, I would really rather prefer BPA at 9 over Williams, even Little or Taylor. I get we need OL guys, but not if the value for talent isn't there.

On 1/1/2019 at 4:00 PM, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

nightmares?  williams having the same issues as cyrus? are you superstitious or something? because they went to the same school?

:lol:

I'm all on board if williams were the pick. he may not be there at 9 but LT is certainly of need and if he were there at 9, take him.

Personal preference aside, Beane wants to go BPA in the draft and has communicated he never wants to pick by need (we'll see how true that is this year). Whether or not we pick WIlliams or any OL at all in the first round will be determined by our luck in FA. But even then, I don't see us going OT in the first with our 9th, unless we trade back and an OL guy does become BPA. Which lends to my personal preference, go BPA - and I don't personally see any OL guy as top 15 talent overall in this draft pool. Again, no expert but just fwiw.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Per Tony Pauline, he has spoken to at least a dozen sources who do not think he’s a top 10 pick

https://twitter.com/rotoworld_draft/status/1085305626832633856?s=21

Charlie Campbell from WalterFootball has been saying this for awhile too. From December: http://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Teams-Project-Jonah-Williams-in-Mid--to-Late-Round-1

Prior to and during the 2018 college football season, some in the media have projected Alabama left tackle Jonah Williams to be a high first-round pick. Williams has been a mainstay on the Crimson Tide offensive line over the past few years and a steady blocker in both phases to help them produce the best offense they've had during the Nick Saban era. In speaking to sources at five different NFL teams, four of them give graded Williams as a late first-round pick, and some of those noted discussion about Williams switching positions in the NFL. 

All of the team sources expected Williams to be a first-round pick, with four of the five giving him that grade. The remaining team had graded him for Day 2. Even though most graded him as a late first-rounder, they thought he could go higher because this is a weak offensive line draft class and there are plenty of teams that need help up front. One national scout estimated Williams' range being from No. 15-30, and others were in agreement with that. 

The area of disagreement about Williams came in his NFL position. Two teams felt Williams should move inside to guard. One said he should move to right tackle, and one said he could stay at left tackle. Interestingly, one director of college scouting said they thought Williams should play center in the NFL. That director said that the Alabama coaches have told some pro evaluators that they wanted to play Williams at center because they thought that could be his most effective position, but they had to play him at left tackle to field their best starting offensive line. 

Williams is not expected to be a workout warrior leading up to the 2019 NFL Draft. A few evaluators felt that Williams is not a great athlete and not powerful, so the pre-draft workouts won't completely illustrate his strengths. Sources from across the teams compliment his intelligence and technique. Those are some of the attributes that they feel will help him in a position change for playing guard, right tackle, or center. 

In the 2019 NFL Draft, Williams is expected to be selected on the opening night, but the position announced with that selection will be a source of intrigue around the league.

• Like (+1) 2

According to this tweet, it sounds like a lot of executives don't believe Williams is a lock to go in the top 10. He's thought of as anywhere from a mid-1st to 2nd round pick.

The question for Bills fans, if its true that his best fit may be as a guard (a la Zack Martin for the Cowboys)...do Bills fans still want him in the 1st? 

It's an ideological question, really: are you still okay with drafting an offensive lineman early if it's an INTERIOR offensive lineman?

For me, I would be okay with it IF the Bills could trade down first. I don't love the idea of taking a guard at 9. If they could get into the 16-20 range and still grab him? Then I'm all for it. Fortify the line at all costs, even if it means selecting an interior lineman early.

Edited by Logic

Despite what some analysts say, I don’t think he’ll even be there at 9. This draft lacks elite offensive talent. Receiver and tight end are very very deep, but no Julio Jones or AJ Green. Quarterback will be overdrafted because that’s always what happens, Haskins might be the only true value 1st Round QB in the draft. But Williams is really the highest consensus graded offensive player. And the draft won’t go all defense in the first 8 picks, Williams will go in there somewhere. 

On 12/31/2018 at 7:04 PM, John from Riverside said:

To me it just makes too much sense

Jonah -LT

Dion - LG

Best free agent center we can find

Teller - RG

Best free agent RT we can find

Sprinkle in some mid round offensive linemen types that dont have to start right away.....2nd and 3rd rounds.....WR and RB

I really feel they'll make a run at Darryl Williams at RT and draft Jonah or Little come #9. 

I juat think the Bills are going to invest their free agency money on more proven line players than drafting a tackle or guard high in the draft. 

If a WR is worthwhile at #9 hopefully Beane takes him. But with everything Beane has said about taking BPA i dont think we go WR round 1 any more.  Round 2 seems like the sweet spot for a WR

4 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The player from Bama they should go after is Joshua Jacobs.

That dude can ball. 

He looks like a first round talent though so unless hes there at pick 2 i doubt and hope we dont tske a RB in round 1 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DJB said:

I juat think the Bills are going to invest their free agency money on more proven line players than drafting a tackle or guard high in the draft. 

If a WR is worthwhile at #9 hopefully Beane takes him. But with everything Beane has said about taking BPA i dont think we go WR round 1 any more.  Round 2 seems like the sweet spot for a WR

That dude can ball. 

He looks like a first round talent though so unless hes there at pick 2 i doubt and hope we dont tske a RB in round 1 

If he is good enough, why not.

Not at 9, but maybe trade back into the first for him.

But, it is all here say. Who has any idea what this team is going to do.

24 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

If Greedy Williams is available at 6 don't be surprised if we do offer our 1 and 4 to go up and get him.  It would probably be worth it.

It would cost more than a 4th round pick to move up 3 spots in the first round. I suspect it would take a 3rd rounder swapped for a 7th at the very least.