OT Jonah Williams in the first

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

Watching college, if you wanna go OL, Ja’waan Taylor looks like the much superior athlete and player to Williams.

What this means on draft day, anyone knows.

The value is very likely to be defense, but I definitely prefer Taylor to Williams. If we go OL in the FIRST round, I hope it's via trade down. Gotta draft offensive lineman. Don't have to do it in the first round. Quenton Nelson ain't walking through that draft door this year.

On 1/1/2019 at 1:24 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

If anyone watched Williams they saw a gentle teddy bear. But measurables got in the way made him go higher than he should because he was a house. However he couldn't translate that into performance.

McKinnie went too early to the Vikings that year too.

He struggled to play up to the level of where he was drafted...was a regular media whipping boy; although they got far more miles out if him than we got out of Williams.

I did hear that Wlliams tried to get back into the NFL, tried out for the Skins. I think he was tipping the scales at 400+ pounds.

I do worry about taking an offensive lineman who is not simply dominant that high. Feels a bit like we are reaching to address needs.

35 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

The value is very likely to be defense, but I definitely prefer Taylor to Williams. If we go OL in the FIRST round, I hope it's via trade down. Gotta draft offensive lineman. Don't have to do it in the first round. Quenton Nelson ain't walking through that draft door this year.

Jawaan Taylor and Jonah Williams both probably will do better as interior linemen than tackles, but for different reasons. Williams would likely be the better pick because he may be a better interior player, but neither are first rounder talent in my opinion. It doesn’t mean that they won’t be drafted that high but if the Bills took either guy in the second it would be a solid pick and I’m saying that when I think that OL should be their number 1 priority. I don’t see an elite OL player in this draft.  So maybe the Bills truly would be better taking draft capital from trading down with a team willing to move up. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, WideNine said:

McKinnie went too early to the Vikings that year too.

He struggled to play up to the level of where he was drafted...was a regular media whipping boy; although they got far more miles out if him than we got out of Williams.

I did hear that Wlliams tried to get back into the NFL, tried out for the Skins. I think he was tipping the scales at 400+ pounds.

I do worry about taking an offensive lineman who is not simply dominant that high. Feels a bit like we are reaching to address needs.

im pretty sure he played guard for  the Redskins.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

im pretty sure he played guard for  the Redskins.

I lost track of what happened to him, but thanks for the info. Looked it up, he was up to 400 lbs, but lost 70 lbs and was able to start at guard for them for 8 games.

Had a blood clot near his heart and was released after that one season, was a bit tragic and also very Billsy thing that WOULD happen to the guy we picked. That was definitely an issue they should have picked up on when researching him as a prospect.

I don't expect a miss like that to happen again, but I don't see a clearly dominant o-lineman that should go that early.

That being said, an early run on not dominant, but good, low-risk o-lineman could change some boards, it will be interesting to see what happens. There are not a lot of QB prospects this year and there are teams that have QB needs: Miami, Jags, Giants (maybe can wait), Broncos, Red Skins.

Arizona I am sure would prefer to trade down and hoard picks - they have a lot of holes to fill.

After that there are a few teams in front of us who may reach for o-line help... could happen.

I see the Bills staying at 9 and grabbing a defensive player McDermott is drooling for, though I would rather they trade down grab some extra picks and take Hockenson before Belichick does and then focus on solid o-linemen, DT, and receivers.

Edited by WideNine

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

I lost track of what happened to him, but thanks for the info. Looked it up, he was up to 400 lbs, but lost 70 lbs and was able to start at guard for them for 8 games.

Had a blood clot near his heart and was released after that one season, was a bit tragic and also very Billsy thing that WOULD happen to the guy we picked. That was definitely an issue they should have picked up on when researching him as a prospect.

I don't expect a miss like that to happen again, but I don't see a clearly dominant o-lineman that should go that early.

That being said, an early run on not dominant, but good, low-risk o-lineman could change some boards, it will be interesting to see what happens. There are not a lot of QB prospects this year and there are teams that have QB needs: Miami, Jags, Giants (maybe can wait), Broncos, Red Skins.

Arizona I am sure would prefer to trade down and hoard picks - they have a lot of holes to fill.

After that there are a few teams in front of us who may reach for o-line help... could happen.

I see the Bills staying at 9 and grabbing a defensive player McDermott is drooling for, though I would rather they trade down grab some extra picks and take Hockenson before Belichick does and then focus on solid o-linemen, DT, and receivers.

This works for me.

On 1/1/2019 at 9:44 AM, Boca BIlls said:

For first round pick not as much as you think, even top 9. Honestly there are better Defensive or offensive players you can find that will have a better impact. Getting a vet instead of Williams wont be a huge difference. Then you can draft young O-line next year.

They'll get a vet. They'll get a free agent at every position that's an obvious hole.

After that, they could do far worse than picking Williams if he's the BPA in their opinion. Though I could see a bunch of guys going there, esp. if one of the excellent DLs falls.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/1/2019 at 9:26 AM, GunnerBill said:

I only differ from you in that I would be okay with it. It isn't be any means my preferred approach but I think if you get a guy in the top 10 who ends up solidifying the left hand side of your line for 7 or 8 years I can live with that. And I think he and Dion together would. Whichever one of them ended up at LG would likely end up top 10 in the league there, whichever one ends up at LT you are likely looking at as a league average or just above level starter. That to me isn't the worst use of a top 10 pick. I'd prefer it to any of the receivers in this class who to me all have holes. 

My preference is take an a top end pass rusher (either a DE or a real penetrative DT) at #9 or trade back a few spots and then you are getting some value for your receiver. Which of those is my #1 option will depend on who is on the board at that stage. Staying at #9 and taking Jonah is kind of my third option. 

Exactly how I feel but my first option would be to trade down, then draft too pass rusher followed by drafting the OL.  There are 10 WRs that I’d be happy with. No need to take one at 9-10.

On 12/31/2018 at 5:49 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

NAME: Jonah Williams 6'5" 301

SCHOOL: Alabama

Balance –Rarely caught over-extending over-top of his base. Sustains foot width through contact to generate movement and control when driving off the ball. Pass sets are patient and plays inside out. Mechanical approach in the lower body ensures feet stay tethered to the ground.

Hand Technique –Rarely needs to work to re-establish a punch on the chest, placement is terrific. Quick to shoot from the hip and plays with a lot of strength in the upper half to twist or torque a frame at the POA and generate favorable angles to seal the lane.

Power at POA –Double team ace and tenacious against edge defenders, will produce movement and swallow up defenders now with length but with tenacious feet and precision from the hands to win reps initially. Has the functional power to handle interior defenders one on one.

Football IQ –Polished three year starter who shows wonderful technical prowess on the edge. Exposure to predominantly gap/power concepts and is an effective communicator up front to confirm double teams and pass off opportunities with his guard.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/01/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-jonah-williams/

If we don’t trade down, I would be happy to get him.  He is no doubt a candidate for bpa which theoretically should  be the primary criterion for #9.

But this pick will test our drafting philosophy. Our needs are more on inside of the line. So if there is a better or comparable candidate at a different position (offense or defense), I would be equally happy.

One thing going for him is that Daboll likely knows him well.

• Like (+1) 1