OT Jonah Williams in the first

20 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

I want FA to build O-Line, Allen needs upgrades on the O-Line that wont need time to adjust tot he NFL. Save the picks for impact players.

yes because of course other positions dont need time to adjust to the NFL......

Tyron Smith was NFL ready right out of the box......and Jonah Williams has a LOT of his traits

17 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

I have read he is projected as G or RT, not LT.  Ideas on why?

He has played those positions in his college career....similar to Dawkins

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

yes because of course other positions dont need time to adjust to the NFL......

Tyron Smith was NFL ready right out of the box......and Jonah Williams has a LOT of his traits

For first round pick not as much as you think, even top 9. Honestly there are better Defensive or offensive players you can find that will have a better impact. Getting a vet instead of Williams wont be a huge difference. Then you can draft young O-line next year.

1 minute ago, Boca BIlls said:

For first round pick not as much as you think, even top 9. Honestly there are better Defensive or offensive players you can find that will have a better impact. Getting a vet instead of Williams wont be a huge difference. Then you can draft young O-line next year.

I am all for also bringing in veteran offensive linemen.....but if we want to improve what is really hurting this team then they need to address it......firmly

No running game

Improving QB play

That is offensive line play.....which for this team is flat offensive......

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I am all for also bringing in veteran offensive linemen.....but if we want to improve what is really hurting this team then they need to address it......firmly

No running game

Improving QB play

That is offensive line play.....which for this team is flat offensive......

Yea, I wouldnt be mad if they chose him but I just would like it to play out differently. 

1 minute ago, Boca BIlls said:

Yea, I wouldnt be mad if they chose him but I just would like it to play out differently. 

The last time I remember the bills aggressively going after free agent offensive linemen it netted us Langston Walker and Derek Dockery.....which was a disaster

I would like to see them double down on this

• Like (+1) 2

That highlight video isn't overly impressive. Normally when you see highlights of a 1st round OL talent (like Quenton Nelson last year), they are absolutely mauling people in games. I'm not seeing that in the vid, and even a clear hold is featured. Not saying he's not a 1st round talent, but I expected a more dominant highlight reel.

Looking forward to focusing on him vs Clemson.

Edited by 947

I hate it for a lot of reasons. 

First, if he's going to play right tackle, taking him in the top ten is not getting value. Having an elite right tackle is like putting lipstick on a pig. 

Second, a lot of people are advocating drafting him to be a left tackle and moving Dawkins to guard. I hate this as well. This feels like drafting a guard in the top ten. The difference between Dawkins and Williams is minimal if anything. I'm not going to replace a guy who has been solid for two years, not perfect, but solid, with a guy who might be solid. I am very much against top ten centers, guards or right tackles. Unless they are Quentin Nelson, Zach Martin, Alex Mack like elite players. Lane Johnson turned out to be elite, but was a risky pick in a crappy draft. Conklin has been very good, but has been hurt a ton and his team still hasn't gone anywhere. 

Lastly, drafting a left tackle in the top ten makes sense if the guy is elite. Williams really isn't. He projects to be very good, but if you really pay attention, he sounds an awful lot like Luke Joeckel. He's a technician, not a road grader, shorter arms, probably better at guard, struggles with speed rushers etc etc. Being a technician sounds good on paper, not so much when Aaron Donald or Jadeveon Clowney are smashing you in your chest. He's 6-5 301...that is long an lean and many analysts have mentioned that he's likely to weigh in at less than 300 at the draft. That's a problem. 

Again, I like Jonah Williams and I think he will be a good player, but I do not think he is an elite prospect. I think the idea of having him sounds good on paper, but he has some flaws in his game. This isn't a slam dunk and there is not huge upside here. He's a plug and play, might be solid guy. I want upside with my top 10 pick.

Again thats me. I'm an o line guy through and through, but these are my beliefs when it come to the draft. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

The one offensive player I am 100% cool with at #9. I'm with you BB.

Most mocks have us drafting Greg Little at 9, with Williams going much earlier.

41 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The last time I remember the bills aggressively going after free agent offensive linemen it netted us Langston Walker and Derek Dockery.....which was a disaster

I would like to see them double down on this

The last time we drafted an OL in the first round was 2002, when we drafted Mike Williams at 4. How did that turn out?

48 minutes ago, 947 said:

That highlight video isn't overly impressive. Normally when you see highlights of a 1st round OL talent (like Quenton Nelson last year), they are absolutely mauling people in games. I'm not seeing that in the vid, and even a clear hold is featured. Not saying he's not a 1st round talent, but I expected a more dominant highlight reel.

Looking forward to focusing on him vs Clemson.

You won't see a lot of that. The dude is a technician, which is code for "being good at getting in the way." He is not in the Nelson-Zach Martin class. He is not a road grader type. On top of it all he struggles against speed rushers. 

Im with you. Looks like he has a chance to be a solid player. But I can't use top ten on solid. Let someone else make that mistake. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, from_dunkirk said:

Most mocks have us drafting Greg Little at 9, with Williams going much earlier.

The last time we drafted an OL in the first round was 2002, when we drafted Mike Williams at 4. How did that turn out?

We are not taking Williams at 4......we are taking him at 9

If we were at 4 I would totally be on the DL or trade down train

Edited by John from Riverside

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I'd be very happy with a top OT, but is 300 on the small size for a tackle in this era?

Yes, but he can add a few pounds. It's not like he's far away from his best playing weight for the NFL. I'd love this pick.

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

We have no idea what this team is going to do in FA and the trade market before we make proclamations on who the Bills will be selecting in the draft.

This ^^^^^

I would like to see what FA are signed to fill the needs on the team and use the draft for player development & scheme fit.

They have to protect Josh first & foremost then get some playmakers to go with this offense. It's more costly to sign WR's, CB & DE in free agency, my gut tells me that management will target OL, DT & TE position there and draft playmakers and develop them going forward.

J. Williams may be the guy, if he grades higher than a FA OL pickup...A Dawkins move to the inside would be a great move, does McBeane agree with this assessment?

Off-season moves should be very interesting either way...Go Bills!

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

NAME: Jonah Williams 6'5" 301

SCHOOL: Alabama

Balance –Rarely caught over-extending over-top of his base. Sustains foot width through contact to generate movement and control when driving off the ball. Pass sets are patient and plays inside out. Mechanical approach in the lower body ensures feet stay tethered to the ground.

Hand Technique –Rarely needs to work to re-establish a punch on the chest, placement is terrific. Quick to shoot from the hip and plays with a lot of strength in the upper half to twist or torque a frame at the POA and generate favorable angles to seal the lane.

Power at POA –Double team ace and tenacious against edge defenders, will produce movement and swallow up defenders now with length but with tenacious feet and precision from the hands to win reps initially. Has the functional power to handle interior defenders one on one.

Football IQ –Polished three year starter who shows wonderful technical prowess on the edge. Exposure to predominantly gap/power concepts and is an effective communicator up front to confirm double teams and pass off opportunities with his guard.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/01/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-jonah-williams/

The knock on Jonah Williams is that he's a better RT, read more about him, he started his career at RT where he dominated, has been a good solid LT but nowhere near the level he played at RT, seems to be the same predicament as we have with Dawkins who I think can grow into the position much like Williams could.