Nate Burleson Speaks On The Firing Of African American Coaches

The thing I hate most about this is the blanket effect.

If you want to say it’s a race issue, stand up and call whoever it is you think is a racist, a racist. Call Elway a racist, the Browns owner, the Brown family....whoever it may be.

This insinuating bull#### is just that....bull####.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Absolutely.  Keim should get the boot as well.  If nothing else, they knew they had to improve their sieve of an OL for Bradford and for Rosen, neither of them the sturdiest or most mobile of QBs.  They drafted a center in the 3rd round, traded for a RT partly through the season, and really that's about it.

Did any of their Oline starters even finish the season starting?

19 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

What is the minority HC ratio in the NFL compared to D1 football?

To answer my own question their are 13 of them, and there are 130 programs, so that equals 10%.

https://hithighlights.com/sports/list-of-black-head-football-coaches-at-ncaa-division-i-fbs-schools/

Maybe these crusaders should be questioning the NCAA before the NFL?

Right, because you cant question one wrong before another? What kind of B.S. is this? You act like people don't routinely call out college teams for passing over more qualified minority coaches.

14 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Why does he "need to STFU"?   IMO, you should follow your own advice.   As a former NFL player and now as a media professional who works in the media in close contact with current NFL players and other pro football professionals, Burleson is in a much better position to have a valid opinion on the role of race in how coaches/execs are evaluated/hired/fired than some bigoted message board nazi who thinks refusing to discuss race matters will make them disappear. 

Do you honestly think these guys were fired because they were black?  Maybe I'm naive or maybe because I view everyone the same regardless of race...but I just can't imagine that race had anything to do with it.

Just now, Trogdor said:

Right, because you cant question one wrong before another? What kind of B.S. is this? You act like people don't routinely call out college teams for passing over more qualified minority coaches.

You tell me.

Who are the racists? Start naming them by names instead of being chicken *****.

Then, tell us why they are racists.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

The thing I hate most about this is the blanket effect.

If you want to say it’s a race issue, stand up and call whoever it is you think is a racist, a racist. Call Elway a racist, the Browns owner, the Brown family....whoever it may be.

This insinuating bull#### is just that....bull####.

There is no insinuation, there is an underrepresentation of black people in coaching and management. The players are 68% black, so you can see where there seems to be a problem.

Just now, Trogdor said:

There is no insinuation, there is an underrepresentation of black people in coaching and management. The players are 68% black, so you can see where there seems to be a problem.

Start naming the racists and stop being a chicken ***** then.

Until you name them, and tell us why they are racists, your just running off at the mouth.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Binghamton Beast said:

You tell me.

Who are the racists? Start naming them by names instead of being chicken *****.

Then, tell us why they are racists.

Man just let me get out my contact list and get that for you. Get over yourself. If you want to ignore the history of the league or national hiring practices, be my guest. You think Jerry Jones isn't racist? Really? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

This is stupid. 

The rooney rule is the most racist thing about the NFL because it says that minorities can’t win the job on their own merit and need to be gift wrapped interviews.

Well, see, here's the challenging thing and I'll say it once and then STFU and ya'll can go on and run with it.

Everyone has their preconceptions.  Everyone tends to be most comfortable with people who fit their preconceptions, people who strike them as "someone like me".

Having been in a position to interview and to make decisions about hiring people, and having seen decisions above me being made, I can say that overt discrimination "I don't think she can do the job because, woman" or "I don't think he can handle it, because, black" is very rare nowadays.

What happens is that guys in hiring positions have their ideas, maybe unstated or unspoken ideas about what different people are like, maybe based on their own narrow experience.  One guy, a senior VP at my place of employment at the time, once told me he was very surprised to see the results of a study that said the women on average tested higher on organizational skills and ability to multitask because his wife couldn't manage either.  His perception (maybe unstated to himself) was that men are better at those skills.   Just naturally and without any intent at conscious bias, he was going to carry that perception into his hiring and assignment processes. 

The Rooney rule, and other affirmative action strategies, exist not because minorities can't win the job on their own merit, but because in an "old boys club" atmosphere, they will NOT be "gift wrapped interviews" and given the opportunities that guys who fit the preconceptions and comfort level of people doing the hiring.

I don't like them because I view it as too little, too late.  And if they result in people being hired, but not being given the same support and opportunities that others get, they're misguided.  But that's why they exist.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JoPar_v2 said:

What’s your point? Many of them were hurt yes. So Keim gets a pass due to injuries but Wilks doesn’t?

How do you fire a coach after one year when your whole Oline gets hurt? They jumped the gun on that one.

Just now, Trogdor said:

Man just let me get out my contact list and get that for you. Get over yourself. If you want to ignore the history of the league or national hiring practices, be my guest. You think Jerry Jones isn't racist? Really? 

Thought so. 

Tell us why Jerry Jones is a racist?

This should be good.....

11 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Did any of their Oline starters even finish the season starting?

Yes.  Mason Cole, their 3rd round rookie center, started all 16 games.

Whether he should have been a starter to begin with, is another question.

Just now, Boca BIlls said:

Everything has to be about race even when sometimes it isn't. In the end if you suck you get fired...

Tell me how Marvin Lewis has kept his job for so long? That guy has done nothing...

Well, and if you listen to Burleson, he acknowledges that.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Trogdor said:

How do you fire a coach after one year when your whole Oline gets hurt? They jumped the gun on that one.

I got ya. Yeah I agree. And if Bidwill got antsy then he should have completely cleaned house, not just fire the black coach. Keim has been collecting a paycheck off the back of Arians’ efforts down there for 6 years now. The guy is a stooge.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I think you need to watch again.  He’s not

implying that it was race related.  Just that he wishes there would be more minority  represention at HC.  I get what he’s saying 

So wanting more minorities hired has nothing to do with race? Huh?

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes.  Mason Cole, their 3rd round rookie center, started all 16 games.

Whether he should have been a starter to begin with, is another question.

Well, and if you listen to Burleson, he acknowledges that.

You just get tired of the same race BS over and over after a while. Almost getting used as a crutch anymore.