Nate Burleson Speaks On The Firing Of African American Coaches

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I agree 2 years, let alone 1 year is too soon to let someone go regardless of color. 16 years was probably a little too long to hold on to Marvin Lewis as well.

I get what he's saying too, but he wouldn't be saying it if a bunch of minority coaches just didn't get canned. It's kind of circular logic.

The Bengals problems go way past Lewis. They still don't even have an indoor practice field. It's like UCLA and their 50yd practice field. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And if you listen to the video, Burleson makes that point.  He really hones in on Joseph and Wilks as two guys who were given a questionable situation and a very short leash.

I can probably come up with a mile long list of non-minority coaches given the same treatment.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And if you listen to the video, Burleson makes that point.  He really hones in on Joseph and Wilks as two guys who were given a questionable situation and a very short leash.

IDK about Will, but Joseph is a casualty of Elway's terrible picks. Elway is wreaking that team with his "standards".

Just now, Nervous Guy said:

I can probably come up with a mile long list of non-minority coaches given the same treatment.

Part of the reason for that is because for a long time Black men didn't get hired for head coach positions. Hell there were people who thought they couldn't play QB.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There is only two answers here. Either the NFL hierarchy Is plotting to keep minority coaches out of the NFL or at this moment there are not qualified minority coaches to be hired as HC. 

Very simple here. You make your decision which one it is. 

Just now, wppete said:

There is only two answers here. Either the NFL hierarchy Is plotting to keep minority coaches out of the NFL or at this moment there are not qualified minority coaches to be hired as HC. 

Very simple here. You make your decision which one it is. 

Not all coaches, but if you don't think some aren't then your crazy. Read the transcripts for when they talk about black players. 

Marvin Lewis should have gotten another 15 years to get that first playoff win. At least be fair to the guy and give him enough time to get settled....Hugh Jackson was 3-36-1, gets fired and the browns win 6 of their what last 9 games? Todd Bowles was absolutely terrible. The cardinals coach may have a gripe but come on with this. Let’s be real here, the Steelers were 7-2-1 and have arguably the most talent in the league. They completely blew it and didn’t even make the playoffs. Not to mention the Bell situation and the Brown situation. They lost a game to the Saints because they faked a punt late. They lost to Denver and Oakland down the stretch. There is no way that coach should not be fired. The titans fired their coach last year after he got them to the playoffs and WON a playoff game. Marty Schottenhimer got fired after a 14-2 season. Neither one of those incidents resulted in race questions. Let’s just move on here. If you suck you get fired. It doesn’t matter what you look like. It really is that simple.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Nervous Guy said:

I'm talking about the last 10 years...

In the last 10 years there is a mile long list of White coaches fired after 1 season? Which is besides the point because he is asking for more representation.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Marvin Lewis should have gotten another 15 years to get that first playoff win. At least be fair to the guy and give him enough time to get settled....Hugh Jackson was 3-36-1, gets fired and the browns win 6 of their what last 9 games? Todd Bowles was absolutely terrible. The cardinals coach may have a gripe but come on with this. Let’s be real here, the Steelers were 7-2-1 and have arguably the most talent in the league. They completely blew it and didn’t even make the playoffs. Not to mention the Bell situation and the Brown situation. They lost a game to the Saints because they faked a punt late. They lost to Denver and Oakland down the stretch. There is no way that coach should not be fired. The titans fired their coach last year after he got them to the playoffs and WON a playoff game. Marty Schottenhimer got fired after a 14-2 season. Neither one of those incidents resulted in race questions. Let’s just move on here. If you suck you get fired. It doesn’t matter what you look like. It really is that simple.

Bingo

• Like (+1) 1

What is the minority HC ratio in the NFL compared to D1 football?

To answer my own question their are 13 of them, and there are 130 programs, so that equals 10%.

https://hithighlights.com/sports/list-of-black-head-football-coaches-at-ncaa-division-i-fbs-schools/

Maybe these crusaders should be questioning the NCAA before the NFL?

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Bills coach gets a pass for making the playoffs but a SB winning coach gets fired after one year of not making the playoffs?? On top of that you cite a contract dispute but don't blame the GM. What? Marvin Lewis had a job because those owners suck. They don't even have an indoor facility. 

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I will say this about Wilks - it is kinda BS that the steakhead GM down there Keim, wasn’t shown the door along with him. For Bidwill to stick by that incompetent who was recently arrested for extreme DUI but sign off on axing Wilks after 1 year with a rookie QB is the type of **** that INVITES the talking heads to raise the race issue. It’s just a terrible look. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

He needs to STFU.  It has nothing to do with race.

Why does he "need to STFU"?   IMO, you should follow your own advice.   As a former NFL player and now as a media professional who works in the media in close contact with current NFL players and other pro football professionals, Burleson is in a much better position to have a valid opinion on the role of race in how coaches/execs are evaluated/hired/fired than some bigoted message board nazi who thinks refusing to discuss race matters will make them disappear. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

In the last 10 years there is a mile long list of White coaches fired after 1 season? Which is besides the point because he is asking for more representation.

ok maybe not a mile long and longer than 10 years ...but it's not unprecedented.

Recent NFL Coaches First After One Season

The 49ers and Jets have a quick trigger finger, but nobody can top the Raiders when it comes to firing a head coach after one season.

Head Coach
Team
Year
Record
Chip Kelly San Francisco 49ers 2016 2-14
Jim Tomsula San Francisco 49ers 2015 5-11
Mike Mularkey Jacksonville Jaguars 2012 2-14
Hue Jackson Oakland Raiders 2011 8-8
Jim Mora Seattle Seahawks 2009 4-12
Cam Cameron Miami Dolphins 2007 1-15
Bobby Petrino Atlanta Falcons 2007 3-10
Art Shell Oakland Raiders 2006 2-14
Marty Schottenheimer Washington Redskins 2001 8-8
Al Groh New York Jets 2000 9-7
Ray Rhones Green Bay Packers 1999 8-8
Joe Bugel Oakland Raiders 1997 4-12
Pete Carroll New York Jets 1994 6-10
Richie Petitbon Washington Redskins 1993 4-12
Lou Holtz New York Jets 1976 3-10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Trogdor said:

Bills coach gets a pass for making the playoffs but a SB winning coach gets fired after one year of not making the playoffs?? On top of that you cite a contract dispute but don't blame the GM. What? Marvin Lewis had a job because those owners suck. They don't even have an indoor facility. 

That makes no sense. All the Steelers have done is underachieve with that talent and they won a Super Bowl with Cowers players anyway. They have been incredibly disappointing when you consider what they have. No team in the league has the talent on offense that they have. They have the best RB and the best WR in the NFL. Hall of fame QB. They have had several excellent WRs come and go. When you stop and think about what the Steelers have had on offense alone, it’s crazy that they have only won once. And it was a very long time ago now. That’s not to mention the guys they have had on defense and probably a top 5 DC of all time for a considerable portion. It doesn’t mattter because they don’t fire coaches and he won’t be fired. I also in no way gave McDermott a pass and said as recently as yesterday he’s not the right coach so don’t give me that.

33 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The rooney rule is the most racist thing about the NFL because it says that minorities can’t win the job on their own merit and need to be gift wrapped interviews

I'll say it served a purpose back then given that there were very few black coaches up to that point. Obviously far less before 2003 and it kickstarted number of black coaches. It certainly had an impact statistically.

Just like anything it's pretty useless now. Probably an inconvenience for black coaches that have to get interviewed by the entire league and not get a job, as well as the other side forced to interview someone they have no interest in.. but I really don't see any issue with it. It's just some holdover rule now.. people recognize that, and it's just an inconvenience more than anything. It's not saying anything racist about black coaches now if you just realize the purpose and impact it had when the rule actually was making changes.

Vance Joseph was horrible.. I actually was nervous about Bowles 1st year but he looks like he has zero personality. Good DC though. Hue... Oh Hue lol. Surprised with Marvin Lewis but that was gonna happen sooner or later.

I don't see what the Rooney rule has to do with crappy coaches getting fired. But I guess this group is going to have a lot of ceremonial interviews that are going to suck. I'd hate to be interviewed knowing they're forced to do it but **** it, you might get a job if you're nailing the interviews lol. I'll bet Marvin Lewis gets a shot again somewhere, if not next year, at HC in his career.

2 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

I will say this about Wilks - it is kinda BS that the steakhead GM down there Keim, wasn’t shown the door along with him. For Bidwill to stick by that incompetent who was recently arrested for extreme DUI but sign off on axing Wilks after 1 year with a rookie QB is the type of **** that INVITES the talking heads to raise the race issue. It’s just a terrible look. 

Absolutely.  Keim should get the boot as well.  If nothing else, they knew they had to improve their sieve of an OL for Bradford and for Rosen, neither of them the sturdiest or most mobile of QBs.  They drafted a center in the 3rd round, traded for a RT partly through the season, and really that's about it.

• Thank you (+1) 1