Nate Burleson Speaks On The Firing Of African American Coaches

7 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I didn’t take his original opinion as race baiting in any way.  I appreciated how he shares the topic.  My main takeaway was that he wishes his race was better represented at the head coach position in the NFL.  I get what he’s saying 

So he's advocating hiring guys based on race just to reached better representation?  Isn't that what the NFL is doing---with the results as they are?

It's not a well thought out argument he is making.  The league has promoted black coaches--some were obviously not ready to be (or simply would not be, as with many white guys) HC material.  When this became obvious, their teams fired them, like they do with non-black coaches.

Weak stuff, Nate.

• Like (+1) 2

Maybe the GMs just didn’t care for them. Especially since both lost too many games. Maybe they didn’t like their interaction, maybe they lost faith in them.

If you ask me, sure a GM may be impressed by a resume and an interview. But it doesn’t take long to find out if he’s truly your guy. Honestly after the season they had... if I were the GM and knew I messed up, didn’t really think I made the right decision, I’d fire them too.

I think that’s the right thing. Now to do that year in and year out is a different story. Both these GMs AZ and Denver haven’t had that issue yet.

This whole thing is moot... “give them more time, it’s premature.....” not if you think or know it’s not gonna work.

I congratulate Burleson.   He states his point of view nicely, and he's entitled to his view of the situation.  

I don't know any of these situations nearly well enough, but people have to at least ask questions when black coaches are hired and fired in a year.   There's no way it's fair to expect a guy to turn things around in one year.  On the other hand, it may have been completely clear inside the clubhouse that he was in over his head.   It happens.   If he's over his head, there's a good chance he's drowning.   Under those circumstances sometimes you just have cut him loose and try to save the ship. 

• Like (+1) 4

This is stupid. 

The rooney rule is the most racist thing about the NFL because it says that minorities can’t win the job on their own merit and need to be gift wrapped interviews. 

Besides, I don’t see Nate whining about the amount of black football players. What’s the statistic on that? 

Football is one of the most merit based businesses in the world because it’s all about winning. 

Latino and African Americans make up approximate 20% of the US. An accurate representstuon of that in the NFL would be 6 our of 32. There were least 8 and all of the minoriry coaches that were fired deserved it. This is a non-issue. 

I will admit that there are a lot of white coaches who need to be/should be fired. That doesn’t imply racism. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I think you need to watch again.  He’s not

implying that it was race related.  Just that he wishes there would be more minority  represention at HC.  I get what he’s saying 

Somebody raises and issue about anything  and somebody tells them to STFU.

The modern world, where anybody who has an opinion that is contrary to your own- no matter how well argued- is told to go away. <fingers in ears> “LA LA LA, go away!”

This thing is going down the drain fast.

Edited by MDH
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No really related to what HE said, but every time a black coach is fired you can be sure this topic comes up. You think that helps hiring one? Almost ALL coaches end their tenures getting axed. Why deal with that extra stuff? BTW Lewis sure got quite the long life. So did the Browns coach after a 1-31 record! 

70% of players are Black but somehow "we need" more Black QBs and coaches. So sick of this stuff. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I like Nate Burleson a lot and think he’s smart and well-spoken.  I guess of Good Morning Football he spoke on the topic on black coaches getting fired.  He then recorded the video/tweet below as a way to continue the conversation.

I think Nate did a great job presenting this topic and more diversity in leadership positions would be a great thing.  

In the video he cites the Wilkes and Joseph firings as being premature.  I think the problem is that both coaches were not good fits for the situations they were stepping in.  It is certainly interesting that these coaches lose their jobs, but the GM’s who made the bad hiring are in the clear.  

Then again, coaches like Jay Gruden, Doug Marrone (and to a lesser extent Jason Garrett) were given more time, when you could definitely make a case for all of them to be fired.  

So I’m curious to know what your thoughts are.  here’s the tweet from today:

When I realized 5 of the 8 terms were non-white, I knew these claims wouldn't be far behind. I didn't watch the video yet, but does he make a strong case for why any of them should still be with their respective teams? Outside of Wilks (without knowing much about him 1 year seems a little quick to change your mind) they were all 3 plus years right?

I'm totally over the victim culture Burleson and so many others continue to promote. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABillzFan said:

If it were really about race, then why would the owners have hired them in the first place? 

I dig ya, Nate, but think first, then opine.

He's not the only one saying this...I read this and was shaking my head.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/opinion-black-monday-reveals-a-serious-minority-coaching-problem-in-the-nfl/ar-BBREv0j?li=BBnb7Kz

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I congratulate Burleson.   He states his point of view nicely, and he's entitled to his view of the situation.  

I don't know any of these situations nearly well enough, but people have to at least ask questions when black coaches are hired and fired in a year.   There's no way it's fair to expect a guy to turn things around in one year.  On the other hand, it may have been completely clear inside the clubhouse that he was in over his head.   It happens.   If he's over his head, there's a good chance he's drowning.   Under those circumstances sometimes you just have cut him loose and try to save the ship. 

I agree.  He made the point pretty nicely that Lewis had a good long time, and that hey, Bowles had a kind of standard 4 years.

To me, I see Vance Joseph as equivalent to firing Sexy Rexy after 2 years.  Joseph took over a #4 ranked D with a ton of talent.  He fits the proverb "from whom much is given, much is expected".  They could make the argument last year that the D was given bad field position - 22 INTs, 9 QB fumbles (even if recovered, usually means lost yards) and 52 sacks is a recipe for the D having to defend a short field way too much.  This year with Keenum, cut back on the sacks and INTs (though the OL was still a freakin' sieve), but the D still sucked.  Time to move on.

OTOH - 1 year for Steve Wilks in Arizona, is just not a fair shot - unless as you say, it was clear from the inside that he was just way over his head and just not finding his feet.

I think it's worth noting at the same time, black coaches who were hired and who ARE finding their feet and success or have been given as much or more time as anyone could have expected.  Anthony Lynn would clearly be the best example of that.  I thought he lacked the experience, but the Chargers have improved both years on his watch even with the disruption of changing cities.  He seems like a guy who has a firm grasp on the whole situation.  Mike Tomlin would be another example of a black coach who has been given every opportunity and has had a long run of success, even if at this point it does seem as though the wheels are kind of loosening.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

It is hard to argue that Todd Bowles, Hue Jackson, and Marvin Lewis didn't get fair chances at being head coaches.  They were each retained for longer than they should have been, white or black.

And if you listen to the video, Burleson makes that point.  He really hones in on Joseph and Wilks as two guys who were given a questionable situation and a very short leash.